• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 NCAA Women's Basketball Thread

Apparently, all of those thoughts are awful takes.

Going under screens for the best shooter in women's college basketball and never adjusting will ensure that the great player will get "hers".
Blows my mind how you all write stuff and then assume I can't read it.

Heard a lot of the same this morning. The hot take was that a men's coach would have been publicly destroyed for the way LSU played Clark, but the media is less prone to go after women's coaches the same way. Also, Mulkey is insane; so, maybe fear is the reason for the hesitancy to critique.
The hot take is an awful take. Mulkey is getting publicly destroyed. But there are basic sports reasons why it may not be as much as some people like. It's absurd to claim that Mulkey is getting preferential treatment in "the media" after WaPo and the LA Times posted major unfavorable profiles of her. Stop watching sad dudes complaining about women.

It was interesting seeing that as good and accomplished as Clark is, she doesn’t really have a mid range/floater in her arsenal yet. Sort of a 2.5 level scorer that probably becomes a 3-level scorer with more polish and when defenses force her to become one. And given that, it was a little surprising that LSU played her the way they did.

But sometimes a player is just too damn good and they’re going to get theirs regardless, and she’s in that class.

Apparently, all of those thoughts are awful takes.

Going under screens for the best shooter in women's college basketball and never adjusting will ensure that the great player will get "hers".
Exactly. Wouldn't you have put a taller wing on her and hedged hard and attacked her on high screens? It's not like the rest of that Iowa roster is going to make you pay for hedging.

I'm sure she was gassed chasing Clark around, but Van Lith looked very weak on offense.

Exactly. Wouldn't you have put a taller wing on her and hedged hard and attacked her on high screens? It's not like the rest of that Iowa roster is going to make you pay for hedging.
it appears Mulkey is the female Forbes....

I just looked at the stats. LSU outrebounded Iowa 54-36 overall and 23-6 on the offensive glass. Those numbers are November UVA (pre Minor) bad. Yet they managed to lose by 7. Clark created 65 points when you add in her assists. If you're not going to hedge on screens and put a taller defender on her, how about a box/diamond and 1? That was some serious hoops malpractice. Dawn won't make the same mistake.

it appears Mulkey is the female Forbes....
Forbes isn't that bad a coach. He's done a good job getting talent in the program, and we're mostly fine on the offensive end. I just don't think we play consistently good D, which is a large contributing factor to sucking on the road and at neutral sites. That's why I think he should bring in a defensive assistant and play packline man. Since you brought up the comparison, I think Forbes is more like the Iowa coach. Iowa doesn't play strong D at all, but when you have a transcendent player, sometimes you can just outscore opponents.

Yeah. That's another reason some may be hesistant to criticize her coaching. Four national championships.

Yeah. That's another reason some may be hesistant to criticize her coaching. Four national championships.
What's the 4? One as a player, one as an assistant, and 2 as head coach?

2005, 2012, and 2019 at Baylor and 2023 at LSU.

She has two national championships as a player in 1981 and 1982 at La Tech.

She even has one as an assistant coach at La Tech in 1988.

She's the only woman to win titles as a player and coach.

Some media types may be hesitant to criticize her because of her resume. It's like coming after Coach K.

What's the 4? One as a player, one as an assistant, and 2 as head coach?
Mulkey has won 4 as a HC. Three at Baylor; one at LSU.

Otherwise, DM could claim two natty's including one as an assistant coach.

2005, 2012, and 2019 at Baylor and 2023 at LSU.

She has two national championships as a player in 1981 and 1982 at La Tech.

She even has one as an assistant coach at La Tech in 1988.

She's the only woman to win titles as a player and coach.

Some media types may be hesitant to criticize her because of her resume. It's like coming after Coach K.
The media doesn't hesitate to criticize her, the media HATES her.

There have been multiple hit pieces done on her that would have had heads rolling at media outlets if they did it to coach K.

And they should have K is a piece of absolute shit.

I’m so happy my 6 year old girls are asking unsolicited questions about basketball this week. They hadn’t shown an interest (yet) as I was watching other games, but putting a few women’s games on in the background over the last month and them seeing Caitlyn Clark in commercials as well as on the floor did it. Gotta keep it rolling.

I’m curious about further staggering the two tournaments with women shifting to Saturday-Tuesday for the first two weekends and Sunday/Tuesday for the final.

seems like the viewership base has a decent amount of overlap

See what happens when you actually promote women’s sports. People watch.
Need more stars like Clark & Reese next year and following years to keep generating that enthusiasm. Clark is basically a once in a generation or two player and she took over for all of women’s bball. She goes to WNBA or wherever, her Iowa excitement is gone and they are back to middle of Big Ten. People will hardly remember Coach Bluder.
Now I hope they keep watching her in WNBA. That is a league that is hard to watch and needs a bunch of Caitlin Clark’s!

Back