• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

I would be a bit more worried if we won a scrimmage by 4 and one of our guys had to score 46 to do it. In a scrimmage setting, it is really weird for one guy to score that much. Usually, because of what a coaching staff is trying to accomplish and trying to measure, one guy wouldn't even have the opportunity to get that many shots up. Unless they are planning to run their offense through one guy, I don't know how Cooley was able to judge much of anything from the scrimmage other than he has one dude that will be able to light it up every now and then. That ain't normal and they won't be able to rely on that to win games. I wasn't there and have no inside info, but I would imagine that while you never want a guy going off for 46 against you, even in a scrimmage, we probably rotated different players on him and didn't become overly concerned with shutting him down in that setting.

you think next year is the year Wake isn't predicted between finishing like 9-12 in the ACC? when was the last time we were out of that bubble? or at least on the higher end? I'm sure we had some Bz/Manning teams predicted lower.

The Wake Forest Men's Basketball Supporters Group​

Wake Forest Basketball has some of the most passionate supporters in the nation. For years, our fanbase has helped make the Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum one of the toughest road venues in the ACC.

In the pursuit of creating The Best Fan Experience in North Carolina, Wake Forest Athletics is launching its first-ever fan supporters group to help take our gamedays to the next level. The supporters group is a place for the loudest and proudest Demon Deacon fans who want to stand, chant, and passionately support our team.

Members of the supporter group will receive complimentary season tickets for the 2023-24 men’s basketball season, Wake Forest branded gear, exclusive invites to special events and more!

All individuals are welcome in this space and new supporters are encouraged to join! Fans looking to join the supporter group should fill out an application below.

CBS ACC breakdown

Interesting podcast by Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander with a review of the ACC. Both think the Deacs will be good - and Norlander has them sneaking into the Tournament. Parrish has some heartfelt words for Forbes and his family, and that they are pulling for the Deacs. Good pub, that Wake generally doesnt get. Around 13:22.

Keep an eye on our defense in the exhibition.

Estrada transferred to Alabama, and he is a better scorer than Epps, so maybe that's a good measuring stick.

Losing to Georgetown is really not good. They are not expected to be any good at all.

Losing to Georgetown is really not good. They are not expected to be any good at all.
They are expected to be historically awful. It’s a scrimmage. But that certainly pours some cold water on vibes.

They are expected to be historically awful. It’s a scrimmage. But that certainly pours some cold water on vibes.

Meh they were historically awful last year. They hired one of the best coaches in college hoops and hit the portal hard to revamp the roster. Now they probably won’t be good, but they shouldn’t be awful. And scoring 46 in a scrimmage where you normally test depth is a little strange, but maybe it’ll help with their confidence.

Agree that G'town had a massive coaching upgrade. That alone will make G'town more competitive. That said, all of the projections have G'town as the worst team in the Big East,, and one of the worst Power Conference teams this season.

Notre Dame also hired a new coach, who is great, Micah Shrewsberry. From a pure talent perspective, Notre Dame has the worst roster of any ACC team in at least a decade, and yes, that includes last year's L'ville team. KP rates G'town (#159) and ND (#164) essentially equal. If WF lost to ND in a scrimmage, I would have some concern.

Look, it's a scrimmage; the priorities in order were to give everyone a look, avoid injuries and getting the team acclimated to the offensive and defensive schemes. Winning was not a priority. That said, the fact the game was close was a slight concern, and the fact that Forbes has said that defense will determine how far the team goes, and this team gave up 80+ and 46 to one player (I assume defensive stalwart Sallis marked him sometimes) is a teeny red flag. FWIW, Jay Heath (BC and Arizona State transfer) who was expected to be G'town's leading scorer didn't play. So, G'town was not even playing with a full deck. Clearly, the scrimmage will give the staff plenty of teaching points; so that's a good thing. We aren't that far away from games that actually matter. So, we can wait a couple of weeks before freaking out or making Final 4 reservations.

46 to one player just tells me we aren't taking the scrimmages too seriously. I think we'll be fine

Back