• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

The way teams move up and down in quads during the season is another flaw in the system. You can play a good team and get a Q1 win and then later the team has injuries or whatever and drops like a rock and you lose the Q1 win - does that make sense?
I don't know how to fix it to be fair because you can also play a team early, before they are appreciated by the rankings and then later they keep playing well and rise to be a Q1 team, as they were always really good. In that case you would want the credit for playing/beating a Q1 team. A lot of the problem is just the level of importance the quads have.

I think the complaints on the quad system are largely warranted. The harsh difference between a low Q1 or Q2 and a high Q2 or Q3 is particularly stupid.

However, the quad system is at least transparent. Better in my opinion than the committee deciding that they think Team A is overrated because they were bad on national TV once (the only game the committee members watched) and therefore Team B’s win over Team A isn’t impressive.

my sauces tell me that they're going to disassemble the Joel piece-by-piece and reassemble it on campus in time for the 2024-2025 season

It's really weird watching myself type this, and I'm sure I'm dooming us to years of awful results by even letting myself think it, but I feel pretty darn good about WFU sports at the moment.
Eh, basketball for sure but I'm more worried about football than I have been in many years. Last year was a really precipitous fall and it's going to be a long climb back to contending for ACC titles.

The Athletic also starting to take notice. Ranked 23rd in their latest weekly poll.

“The Demon Deacons are 7-0 since Efton Reid got eligible, and once again the transfer whisperer Steve Forbes is working his magic. Both Gonzagatransfers Reid and Hunter Sallis have turned from duds to studs.

This is what Forbes does. Here’s proof since he’s been at Wake, with each player’s points per game in his first season under Forbes and in his final season at his previous school.

PPG AT WFPPG AT PS
Hunter Sallis, from Gonzaga18.44.5
Efton Reid, from Gonzaga82.1
Tyree Appleby, from Florida18.810.9
Alondes Williams, from Oklahoma18.56.7
Jake LaRavia, from Indiana St14.612.3

Forbes has also proven he can do it with up transfers — see LaRavia and guard Kevin Miller on this year’s team, who came from Central Michigan and is averaging 17.6 points per game for the Deacs. With Reid in the lineup, Wake Forest has been the 21st-best team in the country, using Bart Torvik’s sorting tool.”

Build it in the parking lot and have folks park at the football stadium for a year
That's what they did when they built the LJVM. The old memorial coliseum is where the parking lot is now. Although they may have razed the coliseum first, which was why we had to play in Greensboro for a year?

Imagine that coming up with $200MM+ for a new arena is much more difficult than finding a place to put it.

Back