• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

Keatts buyout is $5.4 million and can be paid out over four years. That is far less than what WF doled out in a settlement to buy-out' Forbes predecessor.

Okay thatā€™s fairly modest relatively speaking. Seems like it could happen this year if the big money is motivated or sets up for a make or break season next year.

I don't think the prevailing notion here is that we are middling.

Most here are frustrated because it had the potential to be a 25 win regular season, and instead we are at 18 wins. That's backed up by the metrics as well.
thatā€™s fair. Iā€™m going to wait until the seasons over before making more comments about Forbes.

Wonder if NIL is limiting donor's ability to pay buy-outs. The same donors that were leaned on to fund buy-outs are the ones that provide NIL money. What is the monetary priority?

I don't think the prevailing notion here is that we are middling.

Most here are frustrated because it had the potential to be a 25 win regular season, and instead we are at 18 wins. That's backed up by the metrics as well.
On the other board I mentioned with our road play, weā€™d falter down the stretch a while back and was met with ā€œWELL ACTUALLY KP FAVORS US IN 6 OF THE 7 REMAINING MATCHUPSā€. We could very well go 2 wins in our last 7 games. Idc about KP or betting lines say. You have to actually go play the game

Wonder if NIL is limiting donor's ability to pay buy-outs. The same donors that were leaned on to fund buy-outs are the ones that provide NIL money. What is the monetary priority?

My initial reaction is if you have a halfway decent coach youā€™d be better off throwing that money to NIL. Talent wins games in CBB and NIL will be the #1 attractor of talent going forward. Interesting question though because as you said the big dollars are coming out of the same pot.

We need an NCAAT bid. I don't care if it's in Dayton, we just need it. We need to see WF in a meaningful national TV game in March Madness, against a P6 opponent. We need announcers talking about Forbes, Sallis, Tobacco Road history, the legacy of Duncan/CP, etc. We need random tweets about WF basketball. We need to get back under the bright lights to at least be a flash in people's minds, even for just a moment.

The narrative changes to building something instead of treading water. It sets up a much more interesting '25 with a chance for back-to-back bids. It is an extra piece of recruiting fodder than Forbes can use, and maybe entice some borderline guys (Carr?) to come back next season. It may help sway a portal guy. Interest donors in a few more NIL dollars. It's a some extra TV revenue. Helps us schedule tougher in '25. It may get us an extra national game or two. It may help us sneak into the top-25 a bit easier. It may give us a spot or two higher on preseason polls.

Every little bit is useful.

On the other board I mentioned with our road play, weā€™d falter down the stretch a while back and was met with ā€œWELL ACTUALLY KP FAVORS US IN 6 OF THE 7 REMAINING MATCHUPSā€. We could very well go 2 wins in our last 7 games. Idc about KP or betting lines say. You have to actually go play the game

very well?

c'mon, Eeyore

This year has been frustrating, but it has also been exhilarating because I literally have no idea what's going to happen on any given night. To each their own, but I have no idea how THIS year caused you to lose enthusiasm for Wake basketball. Objectively we are crazy to watch. Your kids should honestly love watching Wake because anything can happen in any given game/half. The game is never over.

We are certainly an outlier this year, but I once again IMPLORE people to at least watch the occasional other game than just Wake. We all are hypersensitive to things that Wake does, because that's all we care about, but there are plenty of teams who are doing roughly what we are doing (really good at home, really bad on the road), we have just done it in sensational fashion throughout the year.

In a vacuum, sure, weā€™re exhilarating to watch. Thatā€™s why Iā€™ve made the case that we would make for a good tournament team, a TV darling, and a potential national phenomenon in the round of 16 because of our story and our unpredictable style of play.

But for Deacon fans, nothing happens in a vacuum. To be absorbed into this seasonā€™s ups and downs, with all of the Wake Forest disappointments whispering in our collective ear - including both the best talent you could possibly have that didnā€™t get it done, followed by the worst decade you can possibly haveā€¦ I mean, itā€™s okay to say itā€™s all quite exhausting.

One of the names mentioned for the State job is Wes Miller. Would love to see it. DR would have to embrace PNC Arena.
Please
I want this scenario to play out over pretty much anything else sports related
Mr. Tobacco Road. Name on the building at Wake, played for Carolina, coaches State, and his best friend is a law school grad from Duke.

I'm not sure why we would assume Wake is in a better place than NCSU at this moment. Objectively, we hope to make 1 tourney in the past 7 seasons, while state (barring a tourney championship) will have made 2. State has had a winning record in 6 of 7 seasons (including the current one) while Wake has a wining record in 3 seasons. State won 20 games in at least 4 of those 7 seasons (20 games this year is not mathematically impossible, but would be a stretch), while Wake (hopefully ) will have 2 20-win seasons after this season is over. And State will most likely hire a new coach after this season, which at least conceivably raises the chance of hiring a great coach. And the fact that State will most likely be hiring a new coach goes to show how the fanbase feels about the program.

As I posted a while back, my concern is that Forbes ends up with a program that looks a lot like State- competitive in most seasons, half-decent in a few, but never actually GOOD. State fans are completely demoralized because they had a coach who was just good enough not to fire. While that is better than having a bottom of the barrel program, it still isn't much fun.

I have reason to hope that Forbes will be better than Keatts. But I will also say I don't recall a season where I thought Keatts had as much talent as this Wake team (and arguably as much as the 2022 team), so the fact that he has 2 tourney bids and Forbes has zero at Wake doesn't fill me with confidence.

To be fair, State has had a lot of those coaches since Valvano.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we win the next two and are left out, we would have to be the only major conference school to go undeafeted on their home court to be left out of the tourney. So that feels like a thing that should happen to us. Deacon blues

I guess the counter to that is there has never before been a team that is so dominant at home and completely nutless on the road.

what does winning all your home games have to do with being worthy of a tourney bid?

This year has been frustrating, but it has also been exhilarating because I literally have no idea what's going to happen on any given night. To each their own, but I have no idea how THIS year caused you to lose enthusiasm for Wake basketball. Objectively we are crazy to watch. Your kids should honestly love watching Wake because anything can happen in any given game/half. The game is never over.

We are certainly an outlier this year, but I once again IMPLORE people to at least watch the occasional other game than just Wake. We all are hypersensitive to things that Wake does, because that's all we care about, but there are plenty of teams who are doing roughly what we are doing (really good at home, really bad on the road), we have just done it in sensational fashion throughout the year.
Yes I remain convinced that the things that send folks over the edge on here ("I'm not watching anymore Wake basketball") don't actually watch other teams play. Sure, Wake is having an incredibly bizarre year but the reason teams are "bubble" teams is because they're deficient in multiple ways

I mean I guess if we win the ACCT. We are likely in with 3 wins and a loss, but that is not guaranteed. What if a pac 12 team steals a bid? And maybe another conference? And we lose to like Cuse in the tourney? We'd be on the line.
I don't see a world where Wake gets left out finishing 3-1. That means we either went 2-0 this week and made the ACC quarters (with an additional likely Q3 win before losing a Q1 or Q2 game) or made the ACC semis (with a Q1 or Q2 win). Wake would be top 30 in the NET in this scenario and likely top 20 in KP. No top 30 KP team has been left out in the last five years and no top 37 NET team has been left out of the tournament period since they updated to the current NET iteration in 2020.

Yes I remain convinced that the things that send folks over the edge on here ("I'm not watching anymore Wake basketball") don't actually watch other teams play. Sure, Wake is having an incredibly bizarre year but the reason teams are "bubble" teams is because they're deficient in multiple ways
I watch tons of other basketball and I havenā€™t been as frustrated as I am by Wake for two reasons. One- Iā€™m not as invested. Two- I do find our ups and downs to be a lot more wildly up and down than other teams.

This is the most invested I have been in a Wake basketball team in years. Yes, they are frustrating, but having highs as good as what this team is capable of is way more fun than being consistently mediocre.

Back