• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Carolina Panthers thread - HOF Julius Peppers

If Young is the pick, they will have to roll him out most plays because he is 5'10 TOPS and finding passing lanes standing behind 6'4-7" guys will be a lot different than playing at Alabama. Stroud has to be the choice

If Young is the pick, they will have to roll him out most plays because he is 5'10 TOPS and finding passing lanes standing behind 6'4-7" guys will be a lot different than playing at Alabama. Stroud has to be the choice
Alabama's OL this year had listed heights of 6'5, 6'4 6'3, 6'4, and 6'6..

Alabama's OL this year had listed heights of 6'5, 6'4 6'3, 6'4, and 6'6..
Which is give or take exactly the same height as Carolinas. Young was more accurate over the middle of the field from the pocket than any of the top QBs

His completion percentage over the middle was the point RGIII was hammering home yesterday during his pro day. Then Smitty said the same thing so everyone shifted to “well it’s not his height, it’s his weight that’s concerning”. Personally, I’d be more concerned with throwing accurate footballs to Carolina Panthers, which I think Young would do better than anyone else in this or last year’s draft.

Last edited:
His completion percentage over the middle was the point RGIII was hammering home yesterday during his pro day. Then Smitty said the same thing so everyone shifted to “well it’s not his height, it’s his weight that’s concerning”. Personally, I’d be more concerned with throwing accurate footballs to Carolina Panthers, which I think Young would do better than anyone else in this or last year’s draft.
Yea but shit you can gain weight through a strength program, you can't get taller.

Right, like I’ve said, he’s going in the top five regardless, and whoever gets him will be pumped, and his stature will suddenly become less important. So why does it have to be dissected now?

I get it, we don’t want to be the team that missed on CJ Stroud, who I’d also be happy with. But don’t think we’d ever end up being completely disappointed we selected Young, a winner who was apparently born to play QB, even with the physical limitations.

OK, name the QB's in the NFL 5'10 who have been successful in the past 40 years (and I will give you Russell Wilson). Evidently you think he is a transcendental talent that negates his height disadvantages.

Also Kyler as far as height and physical ability to play the game looked great.

He is failing because like Stroud he is a dumbass.

It’s kind of wild that if Bryce could have left last year, coming off a heisman trophy win, he also would have been the #1 pick. We as posters have too much time to over analyze. My opinion: hopefully we made this decision before we traded for it. Oh and we get a heisman trophy winner that is freakishly accurate and doesn’t turn the ball over.

If we do go with Stroud, I’d be fine with a lot of deals that get us in position to get Smith-Njigba.

Last edited:
two good points about the height of Bama OL and that for some reason the Panthers get called into question about the risks of Young's height, but if Houston only has the choice of one or the other they are going to do it no questions asked and will get no flack.

JFC. Do you know who led the NFL in batted passes last year? Joe Burrow (6'4"), who was just one ahead of Justin Herbert (6'6"). Kyler Murray (5'10") was 20th. Tua (6'1") was 30th. Batted balls has very little to do with the QB's height and much more to do with how much of a push the DLine gets, how open the throwing lanes are, etc.

I don't like either of these QBs a ton, but Young is a significantly better QB than Stroud in pretty much every aspect of actually playing quarterback in games. Picking Stroud over him because he is a few inches taller is just completely moronic.

My only concern about Young is if he can stay healthy, I think in todays NFL where QBs are hyper protected it should be ok.

Our QB was too big to get calls for a while. Maybe Young is the counterbalance the franchise needs.

Last edited:
Back