• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Carolina Panthers thread - HOF Julius Peppers

That's certainly a conclusion. I'll counter by saying we know Wilks isn't a special coach, so it's possible the talent is there to be at least a .500 team and coaches just aren't scheming and motivating them to get the most out of their talent. They're scheming Chinn off the field. It's possible the defense could be much better with him and a healthy Shaq and Horn.

The offense lacks talent and Wilks had the benefit of some CMC and all 12 games with DJ. That will be a problem regardless. But every year there are legit WR1/2 and TE selected on Day 2. Pick the right guys in those spots. Get a playable OL and WR on Day 3 and the offense is on its way.
I mean, he went 5-6 with this roster, the other two coaches bookending him have a combined 2-14 record. That feels pretty special to me.

I don't think he's a mastermind of the game of football, but he has something special in the motivation and/or culture area, which is obviously missing.

The Pats are a bad comparison. They lost the greatest player of all time.

The last 28 games are about as close as you can get to a natural experiment on the impact of coaching.

Fit’s 5th round pick has played 9% of snaps on D. Nakua went 32 picks later.
yeah a better comparison is the jags who are a lot better since they shitcanned URB

reminds me of an nfl season preview with bill simmons and he said something like "why are people calling frank reich a qb whisperer? What QB's has he successfully whispered to?"

oooo thomas brown shit on reich this morning

Post it.

I didn’t buy into the Reich hype but I did think he and this staff were good enough to continue the momentum with a new QB. 8-9 would have been a reasonable season that could have won the division.

reminds me of an nfl season preview with bill simmons and he said something like "why are people calling frank reich a qb whisperer? What QB's has he successfully whispered to?"
Young Carson Wentz was MVP candidate when he went down. Nick Foles played well enough as #2 to carry Eagles to Superbowl victory over Pats and Brady. Foles played better than Brady in that game.

Nick Foles had one of the best eight game stretches of QB play ever seen.

Post it.

I didn’t buy into the Reich hype but I did think he and this staff were good enough to continue the momentum with a new QB. 8-9 would have been a reasonable season that could have won the division.
yeah I wasn't sold on Reich but once he assembled the staff he did I was all in. I was also into Rhule when we hired since I liked the idea of a hot college coach + Brady seemed sexy AF.

Kills me to see where Tank Dell is compared to Mingo.

The Panthers have three WRs who can't get separation or YAC and one old WR doing the best he can.

i am going to hold out some hope for mingo

smitty and other coaches were super super high on him in training camp

i am going to hold out some hope for mingo

smitty and other coaches were super super high on him in training camp
Sure. He was a bit of a project with only 1 good year of college production, so it's not like you should expect a 6-800 yard WR right away. But it was advertised as not being a good WR draft after the 1st 4 guys going in the 20s, and the better day 2 and 3 guys were shorter slot WRs. So the advertising was pretty spot on with Dell, Nacua and Downs enjoying some success. The Iosivas kid from Princeton has been interesting too. Next year's WR class is looking much better.

Cam weighs in.

Cam Newton: David Tepper never should've gotten rid of Steve Wilks​

“Without stating the obvious, he never should’ve gotten rid of Steve Wilks,” Newton said.

“When you look at it through the lens of coaching, I think Tepper has not found out—during my time there, first time there—was the importance of continuity in a locker room,” he later added. “He flushed the toilet. Got rid of a lot of key guys—the Ryan Kalils, myself, TD [Thomas Davis] and Luke [Kuechly] was just already one of those guys that, for health reasons . . .

“And when you’re expecting a guy who doesn’t know the game off the field, and his talent hasn’t really produced anything on the field—it’s hard. It’s hard to run a locker room where you got guys that may be kinda gettin’ distracted during the year.

“And I don’t think he valued that and it shows. He does not have a culture there, by no stretch of the imagination. And his presence is more so business rather than team.”

Back