• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Football Schedule

I don’t ever recall an 11am eastern time start. Perhaps I haven’t been around long enough or I’m forgetting a game.
Ton of games that need be televised and no more Bally/RSN to stash a couple on. It’s a new situation that the conference hasn’t been in before

I don’t ever recall an 11am eastern time start. Perhaps I haven’t been around long enough or I’m forgetting a game.

as someone noted above, VPI hosted Wofford at 11:00 eastern last year, to name one.

Ton of games that need be televised and no more Bally/RSN to stash a couple on. It’s a new situation that the conference hasn’t been in before
is Bally officially done now? I saw where some MLB teams had to find new homes but didn't see definitively that that the networks are done.

They are basically skipping rights payments to some teams at this point, so I guess the ACC is not counting on them to be around this fall.

No Bally is still staggering around, but it won't be long.

so is the ACC just...not replacing them? fewer games on tv? feel like the impact will be bigger during CBB since during the week there are only 1-2 timeslots each night.

Last edited:
so is the ACC just...not replacing them? fewer games? feel like the impact will be bigger during CBB since during the week there are only 1-2 timeslots each night.
If it goes the way that some of these other new rights deals are headed, then ESPN will just add those former Ballys games to the ACCN streaming or worse, ESPN+ service....

Unfortunate that the Vandy-WF game is at 11:00 and on the ACCN.

However, if WF wants to play non-conference games at better times and on better networks, WF should schedule better than the worst P5 team in the country.

Understand WF is also playing at Notre Dame, but our OOC schedule is very poor more often than not.
Guess this kind of figures with probably the two smallest schools in P5 with some of the smallest fan bases in P5. Try it out and see if they squawk.

so is the ACC just...not replacing them? fewer games on tv? feel like the impact will be bigger during CBB since during the week there are only 1-2 timeslots each night.
Right now the can is being kicked down the road by Diamond Sports because they have to decide if they're going to want to/be able to pay the rights fees for the ACC. A reminder that a deal was struck last year to get WBB and Baseball off of Raycom and on ACCN. I don't know when that rights fee has to be paid, but I'm presuming it'll be before the fall. If it is and Diamond can and wants to pay it, then the RSNs will continue until they can't/don't want to. The second that happens, the ACC can take those rights to market. Someone (presumably ESPN) snaps them up for more than Raycom was paying for them, and then people continue on. Just can't confirm when that rights fee is due, that'll tell a lot. Pretty sure that's why games like State/VMI and Western Michigan/Cuse don't have times/dates just yet.

Right now the can is being kicked down the road by Diamond Sports because they have to decide if they're going to want to/be able to pay the rights fees for the ACC. A reminder that a deal was struck last year to get WBB and Baseball off of Raycom and on ACCN. I don't know when that rights fee has to be paid, but I'm presuming it'll be before the fall. If it is and Diamond can and wants to pay it, then the RSNs will continue until they can't/don't want to. The second that happens, the ACC can take those rights to market. Someone (presumably ESPN) snaps them up for more than Raycom was paying for them, and then people continue on. Just can't confirm when that rights fee is due, that'll tell a lot. Pretty sure that's why games like State/VMI and Western Michigan/Cuse don't have times/dates just yet.
so does Raycom still exist in some form or another? I saw a Raycom production truck at the Liberty football game this year, which was broadcast on ACCN. Or did ESPN just get the vehicle and not paint it?

I guess 7:45 am on ACCN may be better than nothing.

so does Raycom still exist in some form or another? I saw a Raycom production truck at the Liberty football game this year, which was broadcast on ACCN. Or did ESPN just get the vehicle and not paint it?
yep, it still exists as a production company as everyone needs a middle man.

The 2008 EagleBank Bowl was the inaugural edition of the new college football bowl game, and was played at Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium in Washington, DC. The game, formerly known as the Congressional Bowl before naming rights were purchased by EagleBank, started at 11 AM US EST on Saturday, December 20, 2008, as the first contest of the 2008–09 bowl season. The game, telecast on ESPN, pit the Wake Forest Demon Deacons against the Navy Midshipmen. This was a rematch of a September 27, 2008, game between the two teams that Navy won, 24–17, at Wake Forest. The Demon Deacons got a measure of revenge by winning the game, 29–19.

Not only was it a 11a.m. start, as stated above it was also the first day of the 2008 bowl season, meaning the Deacs literally kicked off the bowls for that year. At the time, I recall thinking immediately after the game that it kind of felt like a Thursday opener in August where after a win you can sit back and relax/enjoy the rest of the following days' action, i.e. not a bad thing.

ESPN already owns the rights (they own everything for the ACC), they sub-license them to Bally's/RSN's. So, if Bally's/Diamond Sports Group misses the payment, then ESPN would still own the rights, but they could then try to sub-license them again (though not sure who else might want them or have space for them). It probably won't result in any additional money to ACC members, however.

ESPN already owns the rights (they own everything for the ACC), they sub-license them to Bally's/RSN's. So, if Bally's/Diamond Sports Group misses the payment, then ESPN would still own the rights, but they could then try to sub-license them again (though not sure who else might want them or have space for them). It probably won't result in any additional money to ACC members, however.
ESPN doesn't own the rights for everything ACC, they had to buy the right from Raycom for WBB and baseball. Raycom owns(ed) a slice of ACC rights, sold it to Fox, who then resold them to Bally Sports(Diamond). It was too expensive for ESPN to reacquire those rights so they're with Raycom and on a different timeline than the ACC/ESPN contract. Those rights actually come up in 2027, if Diamond makes it that long, and the ACC can and would bring that to market. If Diamond passes on the rights and that contract becomes null, they have to be bought by someone, they don't just automatically go to ESPN.

Source

The 2008 EagleBank Bowl was the inaugural edition of the new college football bowl game, and was played at Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium in Washington, DC. The game, formerly known as the Congressional Bowl before naming rights were purchased by EagleBank, started at 11 AM US EST on Saturday, December 20, 2008, as the first contest of the 2008–09 bowl season. The game, telecast on ESPN, pit the Wake Forest Demon Deacons against the Navy Midshipmen. This was a rematch of a September 27, 2008, game between the two teams that Navy won, 24–17, at Wake Forest. The Demon Deacons got a measure of revenge by winning the game, 29–19.

Not only was it a 11a.m. start, as stated above it was also the first day of the 2008 bowl season, meaning the Deacs literally kicked off the bowls for that year. At the time, I recall thinking immediately after the game that it kind of felt like a Thursday opener in August where after a win you can sit back and relax/enjoy the rest of the following days' action, i.e. not a bad thing.
I moved to DC like 3 weeks after the bowl then left DC a few months before we went back to the bowl (albeit in Annapolis). but at least I got to see us in the Belk Bowl the following season.

2027 will be a good time to have some women’s basketball and baseball inventory.

Back