• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Football Scholly Tracker | In: Roberts (A&T LB), Ganious (Nova DT), Merrill (Vols WR)

He also has 3 years to play 2. So when we lose Greene and Banks next year, we will be in need of proven guys. I really like this move. 4 star, #9 player in TN outta HS

They must not be sold on Grimes and Fields.
Moreso that they're unproven young guys. Grimes, fields, girard and Merrill will all battle it out for the 3rd and 4th outside receiver spot.

Staff wants to keep Morin and Keyshawn inside.

Not necessary. Clawson wants a 6 WRs rotation. 4 outside, 2 slot.

Banks ---- Grimes
Morin ---- Williams
Greene ---- Fields

I don't know if Merrill is a slot or outside (guessing outside due to height), but one more for insurance makes sense.

So I guess the staff thinks this cat is an upgrade from Hensley? Presumably with a scholarship, Hensley is still on the team.

So I guess the staff thinks this cat is an upgrade from Hensley? Presumably with a scholarship, Hensley is still on the team.
Hensley transferred.

For comparison, Merrill was ranked in 2021 around the same range Groulx was ranked in 2019.

right. But he was a walk-on. presumably he stays if he gets a scholarship.

Hensley transferred. He isn't on the team.

Are you saying he would be on the team if he had had a scholarship? If so, what does that have to do with Merrill?

Not necessary. Clawson wants a 6 WRs rotation. 4 outside, 2 slot.

Banks ---- Grimes
Morin ---- Williams
Greene ---- Fields

I don't know if Merrill is a slot or outside (guessing outside due to height), but one more for insurance makes sense.
Outside receiver. I noted it in the article about him but the notion that it's insurance is correct. You can be excited about the future of Grimes/Fields/Girard/Mays but also understand they have basically no experience and both Fields and Girard both missed a ton of developmental time in 2022 because of injuries.

Hensley transferred. He isn't on the team.

Are you saying he would be on the team if he had had a scholarship? If so, what does that have to do with Merrill?

yes. Hensley transferred. he was a walk-on and was not offered a scholarship. And yes, I am guessing he would still be on the team if he had a scholarship. I am further guessing if he were on the team, there would not be room for Merrill to be on the team.

WF was loaded at receiver, but no team was more loaded at WR than TN. Jalen Hyatt will be either the first or second receiver taken in the 2023 draft, and Cedric Tillman will also go very high (probably ahead of AT). So, not being at the top of the TN depth chart is understandable.

The HS eval of Merrill was that he is very athletic but not a technically polished receiver. An excellent candidate for Higgins.

Outside receiver. I noted it in the article about him but the notion that it's insurance is correct. You can be excited about the future of Grimes/Fields/Girard/Mays but also understand they have basically no experience and both Fields and Girard both missed a ton of developmental time in 2022 because of injuries.

According to the UT website, looks like he played slot as a freshman and outside as a soph, plus special teams. https://utsports.com/sports/football/roster/walker-merrill/14969

WF was loaded at receiver, but no team was more loaded at WR than TN. Jalen Hyatt will be either the first or second receiver taken in the 2023 draft, and Cedric Tillman will also go very high (probably ahead of AT). So, not being at the top of the TN depth chart is understandable.
Quentin Johnston, Jordan Addison, and Jaxon Smith-Njigba will all likely be drafted ahead of Hyatt.

Tennessee had one of the few wide receiver rooms I would swap for Wake's. So a young receiver at the bottom of the TN depth chart is behind some really good receivers. Doesn't mean he isn't good, just not elite yet.

It happens all the time to the SEC elite. Good 4* kids get stuck on the bench watching 5* kids play so they leave and start for someone else.
I’ll never understand why a 4 star qb would commit to alabama when they already have three 5* on the roster but it happens every year.

It happens all the time to the SEC elite. Good 4* kids get stuck on the bench watching 5* kids play so they leave and start for someone else.
I’ll never understand why a 4 star qb would commit to alabama when they already have three 5* on the roster but it happens every year.
This is why playing time will always be more important than NIL.

Full football schedules will be announced on January 30.

Back