• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 MLB Thread -- World Champion Rangers - Hot Stove Warming Up - Soto to the Yanks - Ohtani's destination unknown

For all the joking about the Tim Anderson fight, feel for this guy. If you follow Chicago sports at all, you realize this is a young man who is really dealing with a lot of stuff both personally and professionally. I've had a rotten 2 years in my life, much because of my own doing, but i can't FATHOM dealing with it in the public spotlight. My hope is he gets some help to get his life straightened out. He is showing all the signs of someone really sprialing.
I know he’s having a bad season, but are you referring to more than that? I don’t follow the AL Central closely at all.

I thought Freeman would remain elite a few years in to whatever deal he got in FA but I didn't think he would turn in the two best years of his career in his age 32 and 33 seasons.

I thought Freeman would remain elite a few years in to whatever deal he got in FA but I didn't think he would turn in the two best years of his career in his age 32 and 33 seasons.
He’s an anomaly. He hits homers because he’s strong, but in reality he is just trying to hit singles the other way. He is a model for how every player should learn to hit.

And all of them, including Dansby, are being massively overpaid.
According to Fan graphs it costs around $8M to acquire 1 WAR. Swanson has a WAR of 4.0 to date on an average annual Salary of around $25M, or 6.25 per WAR (which will only go higher). It could be argued he is a great value right now

MLB suspends Anderson for six games and Ramirez; maybe, Anderson will remember who he is by the time the suspension is over. Anderson gets the longer suspension for being KO'd.

According to Fan graphs it costs around $8M to acquire 1 WAR. Swanson has a WAR of 4.0 to date on an average annual Salary of around $25M, or 6.25 per WAR (which will only go higher). It could be argued he is a great value right now
Correct, but in long term deals, you are assuming that the WAR will be front loaded towards the start of the contract in the player’s prime years. Although the Cubs paid enough for Dansby to generate an expected WAR of around 3 per season, it’s a better expectation that the first few years will be better than 3 WAR and the last few worse.

So all that to say, the contract looks about right to me (as of now)

Edit: this doesn’t take into account the potential for the price of 1 WAR to rise during a long term contract, which is possible based on rising player salaries.

Wow. He is making the point about how this Orioles' season is different than the past. That's a good thing.

Correct, but in long term deals, you are assuming that the WAR will be front loaded towards the start of the contract in the player’s prime years. Although the Cubs paid enough for Dansby to generate an expected WAR of around 3 per season, it’s a better expectation that the first few years will be better than 3 WAR and the last few worse.

So all that to say, the contract looks about right to me (as of now)

Edit: this doesn’t take into account the potential for the price of 1 WAR to rise during a long term contract, which is possible based on rising player salaries.

Agree. I was just pointing out Swanson has definitely not been an overpay, at least in year 1.

From the article. What?

“Brown has been suspended indefinitely, that it came after the Rays series, that he only wound up on the radio for the Phillies’ series thanks to another controversy about a different announcer’s apparel”
Yeah I have no idea whats happening there. They are having the best season in a long time, and all of the sudden these things pop up.

Back