• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 MLB Thread -- World Champion Rangers - Hot Stove Warming Up - Soto to the Yanks - Ohtani's destination unknown

The Phillies are playing a particularly brutalist form of baseball right now. Their game has all the subtle beauty of a 50s Soviet apartment block. Meanwhile the mighty Texas Rangers are going to sweep the hideous cheatin’ Astros. It’s really got to be a World Series of good and evil.
Idk what’s brutal about solid pitching and mashing a bunch of dingers

the hideous cheatin’ Astros.
Meh.

I was as big of a 2017 Astros hater as anyone, but it's nearly an entirely different team at this point 6 years later. The only hitters on both the 2017 and 2023 Astros are Altuve and Bregman, and there's a decent amount of evidence out there that Altuve only used the cheating system sparingly (if at all). It's a new manager and, aside from Bregman, the players that were deeply involved in the cheating are either retired or on new teams.

I'm all for continuing to hate on Bregman, Springer, Correa, etc, but I don't think we need to hate on Yordan Alvarez and Kyle Tucker because of what happened before they were even in the MLB.

1697639163906.jpeg

Cheaper to fly to Arizona and get tickets to game 3 than drive to Philly and get tix to game 1 or 2, dang.

Wow. You know there's going to be a sizeable Philly contingent with that kind of availability.

Meh.

I was as big of a 2017 Astros hater as anyone, but it's nearly an entirely different team at this point 6 years later. The only hitters on both the 2017 and 2023 Astros are Altuve and Bregman, and there's a decent amount of evidence out there that Altuve only used the cheating system sparingly (if at all). It's a new manager and, aside from Bregman, the players that were deeply involved in the cheating are either retired or on new teams.

I'm all for continuing to hate on Bregman, Springer, Correa, etc, but I don't think we need to hate on Yordan Alvarez and Kyle Tucker because of what happened before they were even in the MLB.

But the fans who celebrated those cheaters are still the same.

But the fans who celebrated those cheaters are still the same.
Every single team would have a sizable contingent of fans celebrate a championship that was won with the aid of cheating. Especially if the team got away with it with essentially no formal repercussions. It's just the way that people are.

Every single team would have a sizable contingent of fans celebrate a championship that was won with the aid of cheating. Especially if the team got away with it with essentially no formal repercussions. It's just the way that people are.
UNC* approves of this message.

As it looks like we are heading for a Phillies/Rangers WS, both finished this past season with a 90-72 record. So, which team gets home field (which is huge given that the Phillies are 6-0 at home this year in the playoffs)?

The Rangers. Why?

The Phillies played at Texas to open the season (March 30 to April 2). The Rangers swept that series, which with 159 regular season games left for both teams at the time, seemed meaningless, but it's pretty meaningful right now.

That is a good theory which Astros fans turned into praxis, and in so doing created a reality in which they deserve legitimate scorn.

Meh.

but sports are — at the end of the day — very much about vibes and the astros vibes are still tainted by the cheating (and the subsequent years of fighting allegations) so I say hate on haters

Has anyone actually fought the allegations? I have consumed two books, a podcast, and every news article about the scandal… I think I know just about every detail that’s ever come out about it! I don’t remember anyone fighting the allegations, but there’s been a lot of pushing back against misinformation out there. Jose Altuve still gets booed everywhere he goes because people falsely believe he wore a buzzer or some shit. It sucks! Especially when Alex Bregman is right there, practically begging you to hate him—he actually did participate, unlike Altuve!—and yet he seems to get a pass.

(Unrelated point, but I had the realization the other day that Alex Bregman is spiritually a Philly. He would fit right in on that team.)

Anyway it’s a lot more fun to be the “fuck the haters” kid in the video than the “ummm well AKSHUALLY” guy on the internet.

Has anyone actually fought the allegations? I have consumed two books, a podcast, and every news article about the scandal… I think I know just about every detail that’s ever come out about it! I don’t remember anyone fighting the allegations, but there’s been a lot of pushing back against misinformation out there. Jose Altuve still gets booed everywhere he goes because people falsely believe he wore a buzzer or some shit. It sucks! Especially when Alex Bregman is right there, practically begging you to hate him—he actually did participate, unlike Altuve!—and yet he seems to get a pass.

(Unrelated point, but I had the realization the other day that Alex Bregman is spiritually a Philly. He would fit right in on that team.)
He doesn’t look dirty enough to be a Philly. He needs the long hair and a nasty looking beard.

Back