• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 MLB Thread -- World Champion Rangers - Hot Stove Warming Up - Soto to the Yanks - Ohtani's destination unknown

Damn. that loss last night was just misery for the Phils.... That game needed to be won and it seemed like Rob was playing for the long haul with his pitching decisions. Seriously, a rookie (Owen, who I like) but in that situation?? I hope Kimbrel packed his bags and just leaves us for good. We made too many mental and physical mistakes and Zona made clutch plays. Just hoping that Wheeler is dealing tonight!

Kimbrel has been done for years. The Red Sox didn’t let him close in the 2018 WS.

Agree, that was smart! I also wish Rob would switch the order around. Give Harper a better 4 hole hitter (JT, Schwarber, or Casty) so they cant pitch around him.

Dusty Baker with an old school masterpiece in the bottom of the 8th. Astros down 2 in Texas after Garcia hits a 3 run homer. Bryan Abreu walks Evan Carter to open the inning. Abreu proceeds to plunk Garcia with a message pitch high and tight. Garcia knows a challenge and reacts. Mayhem for a few minutes. Umps confer and decide to eject Abreu for an intentional HBP. Dusty erupts with the argument he would never intentionally plunk someone and put 2 runners on base in the bottom of the eighth down by 2 runs. Logical but umps toss him. Both dugouts are now fired up and focused on something other than the game at hand. The 15-20 minutes that expire during the brohaha leave the Texas closer Leclerc cooling down in the dugout and with his attention diverted from getting the final three outs. When he finally gets back to the mound, Leclerc gives up a single, a walk and a three run HR. Astros lead 5-4 and the knife is inserted. Buttom of 9, Rangers get two leadoff singles and two liners that find gloves. Knife twisted. Evan Carter ends the game with strikeout. Knife withdrawn and the Rangers are done. Astros win and Dusty chuckles. A long shot worked to perfection. An absolute masterpiece of managing.
It’s some shit. No masterpiece

Fuck the Astros. (I still love you TexasDeac10)

I'm not much of a Kimbrel fan either. Otherwise, the 'pen is solid.

I thought everything went well. Ranger looked healthy and good. Phils will need him since he's a swing pitcher.

They just need one game in Phoenix. It doesn't matter which one.

Maybe the next starter won't be as tough as this one was. I'm hoping.
Well now it matters. We don't want to go home having to win two. (Thanks, Capt. O.)

But it is also why it is so important to start 2-0 in this format.

Well done, Zack, and thanks to J.T. for the bomb that let me breathe.

So much better going home up 3-2. Monday, Monday, can trust that day. All you, Mr. Nola.

You can go check the video, when it happened he would glare at the dugout. You can also go back to Drellich and Rosenthal’s initial reporting and they explain that some players didn’t want the system because they felt it messed with their swings.

Just educate yourself, I beg.

The funny thing is, Altuve was probably right about wanting to just react to what he sees. Baseball Prospectus also ran a big analysis and concluded that the trash can system was largely ineffectual, if not harmful.

Why? Because they weren’t correctly decoding the pitches all the time—there were a lot of false positives. When players “knew” that a curveball was coming, they hit slightly better than they would otherwise. Something like a .030 increase in batting average, but if someone still has a BP subscription and wants to go check the numbers I’d be grateful. On the other hand, when players were falsely told a curveball was coming, they hit like .150 points worse than normal. The false positives were a disaster.

You can go check the video, when it happened he would glare at the dugout. You can also go back to Drellich and Rosenthal’s initial reporting and they explain that some players didn’t want the system because they felt it messed with their swings.
Just educate yourself, I beg.
Anyway it’s a lot more fun to be the “fuck the haters” kid in the video than the “ummm well AKSHUALLY” guy on the internet.

Ever since FS1 played Creed as their bumper music in the 2nd inning, I've been walking around the house randomly singing, "Hunga bunga hiiigher. Bao-nao-nao-nao-nao. Hunga bunga hunga bung."

I think I would prefer the Phillies (if they get to WS) to play the Rangers. They’d have home field against Astros, but not Rangers, but Rangers don’t have a single pitcher that scares you and their bullpen is terrible.

Back