• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 PGA Tour thread

Cam Young with a strong first round in the PGA event formerly known as the Honda Classic. One off the lead.

Overdue for that first tour win.

Cam Young with a strong first round in the PGA event formerly known as the Honda Classic. One off the lead.

You can tell he's from Wake Forest because he folds down the stretch just like our basketball team.

76 for AK in the first round and DFL. Score isn't very concerning...the lack of even decent speed on his swing is. He was carrying the ball in the 240s and often behind GMac, who is among the shortest guys in pro golf.

Saw stuff online that LIV reported his clubhead speed was 175 earlier this week. They must have been using one of those Golf Galaxy launch monitors.

I'm rooting for him, but he is a long way off.

Last edited:

Both he and Will have been playing well this season, and I'm encouraged for both. And the wind is supposed to start blowing, which I would think would aid him because of his ball striking.

LK, why root for AK? He was an exciting flash in the pan, but he made his choices. He took the insurance $$ rather than attempt a comeback, and now he's playing with the guys who declared war on the PGA and DP.

Both he and Will have been playing well this season, and I'm encouraged for both. And the wind is supposed to start blowing, which I would think would aid him because of his ball striking.

LK, why root for AK? He was an exciting flash in the pan, but he made his choices. He took the insurance $$ rather than attempt a comeback, and now he's playing with the guys who declared war on the PGA and DP.

Because I like redemption stories/comebacks, and honestly I'm hoping we get to hear his full story.

I mean for a guy to be away 11 years and still be able to shoot a 76 in his first round back doesn't really sound bad. I get the impression were not talking about a guy that quit playing tournament golf, but was still out there playing and practicing all the time either. Be interesting to see how the season goes for him, if he continually improves as he plays the events.

As LK posted above, the score of one round doesn't mean much, but if he was struggling to carry the ball 240 and his clubhead speed was way down, Kim's comeback will be short-lived.

I mean for a guy to be away 11 years and still be able to shoot a 76 in his first round back doesn't really sound bad. I get the impression were not talking about a guy that quit playing tournament golf, but was still out there playing and practicing all the time either. Be interesting to see how the season goes for him, if he continually improves as he plays the events.

My prediction is after 4 or 5 events he gets an "injury" and fades away again.

As LK posted above, the score of one round doesn't mean much, but if he was struggling to carry the ball 240 and his clubhead speed was way down, Kim's comeback will be short-lived.

I'm not sure how it's possible to drive 240 on either tour and have any hope of being competitive. Hell, on some doglegs, if you aren't close to 300, your second shot is a layup around the corner.

Average drive on the LPGA Tour is over 250 yards.

i thought his clubhead speed was around 170?

Average drive on the LPGA Tour is over 250 yards.
Yeah, I think the average is like mid 250s. Difference there is there is a wider variance with the women. Some of the longer women can hit it 300 and average in the 280s, but there are still a bunch of players still in the 230s. Now the vast majority of the guys are at least in the 280s with the leaders averaging in the mid 310s. I'm guessing that makes course set-up a tad more difficult for LPGA events. Also why I've been waiting for 1 of the longer hitters to take over the women's game, but it hasn't happened yet.

So Eckroat looked strong finishing off PGA National this a.m. Cam and Min Wu had good rounds but started a bit too far back. Lowry not so much. Also watched the back 9 at Singapore yesterday over breakfast. Hannah Green birdied the last 3 holes (and 17 and 18 were tough) to beat 1 of the Euro Dukies, so that was cool. Next 2 weeks better viewing than the last 2 with Arnie's place and The Players.

Reliving the Hangover movies several times over 11 years will do that to you

AK has had some type of surgery to his neck. He has a large scar across the front of his neck. Possibly had his thyroid removed? I guess thyroid cancer is a possibility. And whatever happened there seems to maybe have led to maybe some paralysis in his face if you look at his eyes not appearing to be level. There are also rumors that he was in some sort of accident which could have caused all of it including what appears to be a broken nose. I hope the neck scar isn't from one possibility that has been mentioned. All sorts of rumors out there. He has said he will soon tell his story.

Sounds like AK's insurance money ran out, so going out and embarrassing himself on the LIV tour was his best option.

The reverse to the start of the last PGA season when favorites dominated:

Back