• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 PGA Tour thread

I think he's saying that Scheffler will play unless there is an issue during childbirth.
I keep hearing she's due in late April. I'd be shocked if he showed up at either the Byron Nelson or Wells Fargo even with no complications. Makes no sense to rush off and play a non-major, spend a couple weeks at home with your wife and child. That is the vibe I got hearing him talk the last few weeks, but maybe he shows up in Charlotte.

he might have had a scottie-like run if not for Tiger
Without Tiger, Phil would have been #1 in the OWGR for years and would be the best/most accomplished player since Nicklaus. The “Big 4” between 2000-2010 made it a special time to be a golf fan.

This week is the team event at the Zurich.

Alex and Matt Fitzpatrick are teaming up again, and Will Z is playing with Sahith (they will be among the favorites).
That'll give me 2 reasons to tune in. Sahith is becoming 1 of my favorite golfers, and the commercial they did is great.

And I guess that, if you want to win a PGA event, you should play the next 2 weeks while Scottie is away.

Scheffler's run to ten PGAT wins has been ultra impressive, but man, easy to forget how dominant David Duval when his pro-career started. 10 PGAT wins in 33 starts. Wow.

Also, Rory is returning to the PGAT Policy Board, which he recently resigned from; so, doesn't look like McElroy is headed to the dark-side.

This definitely the first time since really Tiger, that the "glam slam-plus" (Players, Masters, PGA, US Open, The Open) seemed to be even remotely possible. Odds are still extremely long, but at the least it seems to be possible. Heck, even the "grand slam- plus, plus, plus, plus" is possible (API, Players, Masters, PGA, Memorial, US Open, The Open, Tour Championship).

This definitely the first time since really Tiger, that the "glam slam-plus" (Players, Masters, PGA, US Open, The Open) seemed to be even remotely possible. Odds are still extremely long, but at the least it seems to be possible. Heck, even the "grand slam- plus, plus, plus, plus" is possible (API, Players, Masters, PGA, Memorial, US Open, The Open, Tour Championship).
Yup, and to think he and the other most talented player in the world, Koepka, lost a RC match 9 and 7.

Scheffler's run to ten PGAT wins has been ultra impressive, but man, easy to forget how dominant David Duval when his pro-career started. 10 PGAT wins in 33 starts. Wow.

Also, Rory is returning to the PGAT Policy Board, which he recently resigned from; so, doesn't look like McElroy is headed to the dark-side.

is that true about Duval? I remember him having a bunch of second place finishes his first few years on tour.

Yup, and to think he and the other most talented player in the world, Koepka, lost a RC match 9 and 7.
I think at times Scottie has struggled with confidence in big situations, I don't think that is an issue any longer.

is that true about Duval? I remember him having a bunch of second place finishes his first few years on tour.
Yes, amazing. David Duval won 10 PGA events in a year and a half:

1​
Oct 12, 1997
Michelob Championship at Kingsmill−13 (67-66-71-67=271)PlayoffNew Zealand Grant Waite, United States Duffy Waldorf
2​
Oct 19, 1997​
Walt Disney World/Oldsmobile Classic−18 (65-70-65-70=270)PlayoffUnited States Dan Forsman
3​
Nov 2, 1997​
The Tour Championship−11 (66-69-70-68=273)1 strokeUnited States Jim Furyk
4​
Feb 22, 1998
Tucson Chrysler Classic−19 (66-62-68-73=269)4 strokesUnited States Justin Leonard, United States David Toms
5​
May 3, 1998​
Shell Houston Open−12 (69-70-73-64=276)1 strokeUnited States Jeff Maggert
6​
Aug 30, 1998​
NEC World Series of Golf−11 (69-66-66-68=269)2 strokesUnited States Phil Mickelson
7​
Oct 11, 1998​
Michelob Championship at Kingsmill (2)−16 (65-67-68-68=268)3 strokesNew Zealand Phil Tataurangi
8​
Jan 10, 1999
Mercedes Championships−26 (67-63-68-68=266)9 strokesUnited States Billy Mayfair, United States Mark O'Meara
9​
Jan 24, 1999​
Bob Hope Chrysler Classic−26 (70-71-64-70-59=334)1 strokeUnited States Steve Pate
10​
Mar 28, 1999​
The Players Championship−3 (69-69-74-73=285)2 strokesUnited States Scott Gump

Only Scott Gump stood between David Duval and history; and Duval vanquished him.

And proceeded to melt down soon after winning his 1st major. There was something wrong with Duval's wiring.

Tiger really had an off year in 1998 but got it going in 1999.

Duval has been quoted many times about how he felt almost like an imposter winning that Open because he knew his game and confidence weren't right. He's talked about it on The Golf Channel.
His game was right enough apparently during that time.

Duval was the #1 ranked player in the world for a stretch in 1999. Between 1998 and 2010, the only golfers to ascend to the #1 ranking were Tiger, Vijay and David Duval.

The 2001 Open Championship was the last PGAT or Major win of his career. He was 29, and had won 13 titles. He never won on the PGAT or in a major again.

In the eight year stretch after the 2001 season, Duval never finished in the top 10 in a major, and lost his tour card and dropped to #882 in the world. During that time, Duval missed the cut in 13 of the 17 majors he played in. Then, out of nowhere in 2009, Duval finished 2nd in the US Open at Bethpage Black and almost won in dramatic fashion. The description from Wiki:

After going through sectional qualifying, Duval made the most of his first appearance in the U.S. Open since 2006. Going into the final round, Duval was four shots behind eventual winner Lucas Glover. Duval made a triple bogey at the par three 3rd hole, but rebounded with three straight birdies from 14 to 16. He stood on the tee of the 71st hole in a tie for the lead, but his par putt lipped out on the hole, and he finished tied for second, two shots behind Glover. It was his best finish on tour since the 2002 Memorial Tournament.

Last edited:
I remember that 2009 US Open well. That's probably the hardest I've ever pulled for a player to win, except maybe Watson at The Open in that same year. Both would have been incredible. Duval shot 91 at The Open in 2019. I had high hopes for him on the Champions Tour. I've always liked Duval.

I liked and rooted for Duval too and felt bad for him when his game went to shit. And it seemed like he was socially awkward = like he played through agoraphobia or something. It was a strange case of a top player just completely losing his game. Same thing happened with Yani Tseng.

Back