• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

Watching the game back and good lord Gunny looked good today, albeit only against 2 hitters. But hitting 94 on his FB and then throwing a 71 curve with a 75 change up is just filthy. I'll say it again, but the struggles of these freshman pitchers early in the season are starting to show off the rewards. Our bullpen was lights out this weekend and I would take our 1-6 batters against anyone in the country.

Watching the game back and good lord Gunny looked good today, albeit only against 2 hitters. But hitting 94 on his FB and then throwing a 71 curve with a 75 change up is just filthy. I'll say it again, but the struggles of these freshman pitchers early in the season are starting to show off the rewards. Our bullpen was lights out this weekend and I would take our 1-6 batters against anyone in the country.
VIBES

This was my first game seeing the Deacs in person since the win against LSU in Omaha last year. If I had fallen into a coma after Omaha and didn’t wake up until this morning, I wouldn't believe you that Hartle struggled earlier this season, because today he looked exactly like the Josh Hartle I saw in Omaha last year.

Which, if he’s truly back on track, is the best thing that could happen to us at this point in the year…
Hartle getting his confidence back to ‘23 levels is massive and today hopefully helps a lot. Hopefully Falco can also grow into a role as a 3rd starter with bullpen hopefully continuing to improve. Would be great to win final series vs pack and get that super regional seeding.

and our 7th hitter would rank 2nd (behind only kurtz’s 1.393) in the conference in OPS if he qualified at 1.371.

nobody else in the conference is even at 1.300

(obviously still small sample size for morales with 32 PAs — i think he would need 60 to qualify which isn’t gonna happen with only three more games.)

Preseason #1 and crawling back to the top 10. I’ll take it, considering the start of the season.

This sets us up nicely for the postseason. At this time last season we were carrying the weight of trying to hold on to our #1 ranking, which isn’t easy. This season we have that underdog mentality that seems to really motivate kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're 8th in D1 Baseball poll. Clemson fell to #4. NC State is fast rising after taking 2 away from UVa on the Cavaliers' field. They will be tough to beat in Raleigh. Don't forget they swept Clemson too, in S.C.! But if we play close to this past weekend, I think we can take 2.

We're 8th in D1 Baseball poll. Clemson fell to #4. NC State is fast rising after taking 2 away from UVa on the Cavaliers' field. They will be tough to beat in Raleigh. Don't forget they swept Clemson too, in S.C.! But if we play close to this past weekend, I think we can take 2.
They didn’t sweep Clemson

Yeah state is no gimme. I really hope we start chase Thursday and he does his thing and we start that series 1-0. Win 2 and we are still in running for a national seed. Which I gotta say would be one hell of a turnaround.
just gotta sneak in somewhere as a solid 3 or 4 regional seed

With so many ranked teams in the area, we'll probably see 1-2 super regionals between rivals or teams that are very close to each other. Wake-ECU would be pretty fun.

If we get a national seed, I think it will be the last one or maybe number 7. Too many gaffes and losses to folks we had no business losing too this year. Losing the ND series may have been the worst. I know ACC is strong but lost a few too many series to get high national seed. Vols, UK, Arkanasas, Clemson, A&M, & Oregon State have been the top 6 for most of year. After that you get UNC (swept us), UGA rising fast, Wake, State, and FSU.. Its imperative we get 2-3 this week from Pack.

I'm pretty sure that the winner of the State/Wake series is going to be a lock for a national seed, with the only exception being if State takes 2/3 and then falls flat on their face in the ACC tournament.

I think both will end up as regional hosts unless there's a sweep. And even then, the team that gets swept could earn the regional host in the ACCT probably.

In my mind, the teams in contention for a top 8 seed are:

Tenn, UK, Ark, A&M, UNC (All 5 are nearly locks. Would require getting swept to be at risk)

UGA, Wake, Clemson, FSU, Oregon State (5 teams with the best chance at the last 3 spots)

ECU, Duke, UVA, Indiana State, NC State (5 teams with ranking and/or RPI problems for getting top 8, but still possible)

Tenn, UK, Ark, A&M, UNC (All 5 are nearly locks. Would require getting swept to be at risk)

UGA, Wake, Clemson, FSU, Oregon State (5 teams with the best chance at the last 3 spots)

ECU, Duke, UVA, Indiana State, NC State (5 teams with ranking and/or RPI problems for getting top 8, but still possible)

All of this seems spot on.

That series win against FSU looks to be big.

Let's sweet NC State and essentially lock up that 7 or 8 seed

Back