• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

It’s a weird call. But he was outside the running lane. So correct call. I mean I think he beats it out anyway. But if you are not running where you are supposed to it’s hard to say it didn’t interfere somehow with the throw or catch. Run in the running lane.
I think it was BS but by the current rules it is correct. That’s sort of what Larry Sorenson implied.

“As for Duke, the first ACC series, there is palpable internal excitement. The hope is for The Couch to be an electric environment for one of the highest-profile baseball series that weekend.

“I’m so excited,” Kurtz said. “It’s gonna be so fun. Duke has been playing really well and it’s always fun to play Duke when you’re at Wake Forest, no matter what sport. So them coming to us this year, [The Couch] should be packed out. It should be fun. I’m excited.”

LFG!!!

“As for Duke, the first ACC series, there is palpable internal excitement. The hope is for The Couch to be an electric environment for one of the highest-profile baseball series that weekend.

“I’m so excited,” Kurtz said. “It’s gonna be so fun. Duke has been playing really well and it’s always fun to play Duke when you’re at Wake Forest, no matter what sport. So them coming to us this year, [The Couch] should be packed out. It should be fun. I’m excited.”

LFG!!!
Will be there all weekend. Very excited. Glad the guys are too.

Will say it again. Massey looked really good. I think he will win a lot of games for us matched up against most teams #3

He had brilliant command yesterday. The dude's an Ace on almost any other team.

The performance of all 3 of our weekend starters has been phenomenal.

1000009467.jpg

Keep it up! Friday night will likely be Hartle vs Santucci (who has been on fire for Duke. 0 R through 3 starts, with 24 K's in his past 2 outings).

Considering making the drive to Winston on Saturday to check out a baseball-basketball double feature. I wish they had scheduled the baseball game just a little earlier to make that more comfortable to pull off. Baseball game is at 3 pm and basketball is at 6. Obviously they’re right next door to each other, but assuming a 2.5-3 hour game, that doesn’t give much time to get to the Joel and get seated before tip.

Considering making the drive to Winston on Saturday to check out a baseball-basketball double feature. I wish they had scheduled the baseball game just a little earlier to make that more comfortable to pull off. Baseball game is at 3 pm and basketball is at 6. Obviously they’re right next door to each other, but assuming a 2.5-3 hour game, that doesn’t give much time to get to the Joel and get seated before tip.
Believe the baseball game was already moved...was 4 pm originally. But agree that 2 would be best

It’s weird, because the baseball game is only streaming on ACCNX, so it’s not like there’s a TV time slot they needed to keep.

Looks like there’s also a good chance of rain on Saturday.

I got tickets for the basketball game. Will hopefully be able to check out some or all of the baseball game before that - will cross my fingers that the weather holds up.

Pretty impressive that Wake's bullpen has largely been a non-issue even with several important pieces still sidelined at the moment. Getting Ariola, Walter, Wade, Lee and Roland all eventually back is going to be pretty good depth there. It seems like Ray and Shenosky have both taken legitimate steps forward which is great.

Even without versatile multi-inning bullpen guys like a Massey last year, I think the bullpen is going to be just fine as far as depth goes.

Pretty impressive that Wake's bullpen has largely been a non-issue even with several important pieces still sidelined at the moment. Getting Ariola, Walter, Wade, Lee and Roland all eventually back is going to be pretty good depth there. It seems like Ray and Shenosky have both taken legitimate steps forward which is great.

Even without versatile multi-inning bullpen guys like a Massey last year, I think the bullpen is going to be just fine as far as depth goes.
We don’t think Ariola or Wade can stretch out like that? Or just the injury recovery makes that unlikely?

We don’t think Ariola or Wade can stretch out like that? Or just the injury recovery makes that unlikely?
Maybe they can, but I think it's a safe assumption neither will be as effective in that role as Massey was.

And if it's going to be either of those two in that role, it'll be at least late April before they are doing it.

Yeah, I'm also optimistic around the pen. Last year we really only had four guys who were pitchable, five if you count Derek Crum. This year we should have a lot more depth, especially if we end up having Leffew available on the weekends (which I suspect we will) and Wade can come back healthy.

Granted, Will Ray did look solid in noncon last year but got obliterated against ACC competition, so you can't be sure. But I'm feeling good about dudes like Gunther, Shenosky and Gervase, unlike what we saw from our depth arms last year in non-conference play.

Weather looks pretty bad for Saturday at the moment.
Yep, and Friday night not so good either….looking like they may need to move Friday up to earlier in the day…and play 2 on Sunday…

Have 2 for Georgetown tomorrow if anyone wants them. Section 6. Pm me with cell and I can text them.

Yep, and Friday night not so good either….looking like they may need to move Friday up to earlier in the day…and play 2 on Sunday…

Half an inch of rain over the course of 48 hours shouldn't be enough to impact the schedule this much. We'll see.

Screenshot_20240305_092430_Wunderground.jpg

I have two tickets to give away for today's baseball game if anyone wants them. It is a beautiful afternoon and I am stuck at work.

Back