• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

Yeah the midweek games will be more entertaining and I bet we lose more of them than last year. I mainly want to use them for getting Laffew reps for next year, bullpen reps to keep our guys loose for the weekends, and like yesterday, put some pressure on our bats if/when we get down to perform and get us back into it.

W's and L's don't really matter at all to me there - just the lessons and info we get for the reps.

Rhino got firing yesterday and we're getting a chance to see who inevitably ends up getting the 9 spot reps between Nelson/Katz/Morales. I think the other 8 are pretty solid right now. Winnay and Rhino stepping up goes a LONG way to filling out this lineup.

A lot of our guys that we are running out of the bullpen and midweek are young guys with not a ton of experience. Once they get more innings under them the walks should go down and they will be more comfortable. I’ve liked what I’ve seen so far stuff wise.

Great post. Would only add that even with some shaky moments through the first twelve, no college baseball team has a weekend rotation to match Hartle, Burns, Massey. In fact, no one is even close. So, yes, there are concerns about some spots in the lineup and even the bullpen, but WF's starters make WF the favorite in every weekend series that the Deacs' play. That is just a huge advantage and why WF remains the consensus number one despite some warts popping up so far.
Arkansas is probably close.

I will say, I'm a bit nervous about this weekend. I think it's a great test to see where we are early in the season.

Duke has a big boy lineup that hits home runs and Santucci is a legit stud. If we get 2/3 then that's a great result, even playing at home and being No. 1.

I will say, I'm a bit nervous about this weekend. I think it's a great test to see where we are early in the season.

Duke has a big boy lineup that hits home runs and Santucci is a legit stud. If we get 2/3 then that's a great result, even playing at home and being No. 1.
Agree. Duke is totally legit. They advanced to the Super Regionals last year, and almost took out UVA; they played six games at UVA last year and went 3-3; UVA went 27-2 last year in their other home games. Think Duke is better this year (already have futures on them at 50 to 1; not that they are better than WF, but WF is 7.5 to one; WF isn't seven times more likely to win the CWS than Duke).

If you’re scared, I know where you can get a dog.

Agree completely - a series win is all I want. Duke is a really good team.

Win weekends series= WINNING

I've been to 5 games this season and went to a LOT last season, from the first weekend through Omaha. I've been impressed by the crowds for these pre-conference games. Opening weekend far exceeded expectations.

Time to start getting prepared for 1 game on Friday and a DH Sunday….not looking favorable for the Sat double dip many of us were planning for baseball and hoops.

That poor short stop had a rough day.
I started to feel bad for him. He single-handedly lost the game for them. 3 errors in the field and 0-4 with 4 K's and 4 LOB at the plate. I was surprised he was hitting in the 2 spot because he is only hitting .144 on the year. And they never pinched hit for him either.

Their DH, Kavi Caster, has some crazy power. I would love to see the numbers on that double he hit. It seemed like it 3 hopped the wall but never got more than 8 feet off the ground. He apparently transferred from DIII Salisbury, where he set some school records or something for hitting. When he made contact with the ball, it made that different sound, like when Nick hits it.

It was definitely a sloppy game. 11 total HBPs and 10 total walks and 8 errors makes for an interesting game. Just glad we ended up on the right side of it.

Did anyone notice the new cameras that were put up for yesterday's game? I noticed some new ones (same long and white) earlier this year that are on the small bathroom buildings on the concourse and 2 or 3 on the press boxes. The new ones yesterday are on the visitors dugout and on top of a fence beside Wakes bullpen. There are like 10-12 of them now. And they look like high tech security cameras. Are they new for better video/replays for TV? A new requirement or something by the ACC? I will take a picture of them on Friday, but they can't be simply for security. They are all facing the field as well.

Edit: they look like this

Attachments

• Ranndonsecuritypic.jpg
    Ranndonsecuritypic.jpg
    780 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Lots of hand wringing here about being 11-1 and #1 in the country. Are we the same team as last year? No. Are we still an elite team? Yes. Do we still have 4-5 first round picks and three of the best starting pitchers in the country? Yes. Will we lose another game this year? I hate to say it but yes. Even the ‘27 Yankees lost 3 out of every 10 games they played, and that’s the high water mark. We will lose some but win more than we lose and it’s all going to be fine.

I appreciate everyone living and dying on each pitch…but just because we allowed 6 runs to Georgetown through the 3rd inning on a Tuesday in early March doesn’t mean we’re not a top 10 team or we should just pack it in and call it a day like some have said.

Let’s enjoy the ride, realize that baseball is weird and fluky things happen, and come back in mid-May and decide if we want to agonize over where the season stands at that point.
There was never any hope

would guess they are the kinatrax cameras if they are facing the field https://www.kinatrax.com/

I would think so, a brief write-up: " KinaTrax Installation Funded by the generosity of a donor, Wake Forest completed its installation of KinaTrax, a markerless motion capture technology that delivers precise 3D imaging and biomechanical analysis. Fans will see a number of cameras pointed at the pitching mound and home plate that the Wake Forest Analytics Team will use to capture data to enhance performance, prevent injuries, and monitor for fatigue in-game."

Back