• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

50 States, 50 Sammiches

haha jersey got an italian sub too. BORING.

i prefer vinegar based barbecue, but i'm a little surprised they didn't at least mention that there are multiple styles.

Whether you're vinegar based, ketchup based, or bbq based, I would at least hope that we could all agree that pickles have no place on a BBQ sandwich. When I first moved from NC to Alabama, I was disgusted that their big thing was putting pickles on it. It wasn't until recently that I tried the white sauce, which is actually really good.

Went to Abbott's every Mother's Day when I was growing up - that lobster roll is awesome.

Never even heard of the sandwich they had for Missouri, even though it's apparently most famous in the STL.

Whether you're vinegar based, ketchup based, or bbq based, I would at least hope that we could all agree that pickles have no place on a BBQ sandwich. When I first moved from NC to Alabama, I was disgusted that their big thing was putting pickles on it. It wasn't until recently that I tried the white sauce, which is actually really good.

+1. but i hate all pickles, no matter the sandwich, so i'm biased.

Have you ever had a reputable crab cake in the state of Maryland?

I try not to go to Maryland if I can help it, but I can't remember the last time I got one and really liked it. There is a place in Baltimore that I recally wasn't terrible. And there are a couple places in Annapolis I've tried that aren't bad either. I know a lot of people like them, but they aren't my thing.

So, the answer is no.

maybe, but in a pinch i'd prob rather eat subway than really shitty pizza

You can get way, way shittier sandwiches than subway. I can't envision shittier pizza than like, cheap frozen pizza, which is disgusting but still preferable to a terrible vending machine sandwich or something.

Get one at Jack's, theirs is good. And if you don't like that, then you just don't like crab.

I haven't been there in years, but I remember liking Jacks. Probably didn't have the crabcake tho.

I hear ya. I love pickles, but BBQ sammies are beautiful in the serving simplicity. All the flavors should be taken care of in the rub, smoke, etc. before the pork is even chopped (or pulled). Just pork, the nectar of the gods vinegar-based sauce (aka BBQ SAUCE) that gets down inside all the nooks and crannies in the meat, and two pieces of bread. So simple, so good.

+1. but i hate all pickles, no matter the sandwich, so i'm biased.

h82410902

My big problem with this list is that in many cases, they aren't actually showing the sandwich that they are describing. That certainly isn't a taro roll in the Hawaii sandwich, they are showing a regular cheesesteak instead of a chicken philly for Idaho, Arkansas is shown on a seeded bun instead of white bread, and so forth. Certainly makes me question the list.

My big problem with this list is that in many cases, they aren't actually showing the sandwich that they are describing. That certainly isn't a taro roll in the Hawaii sandwich, they are showing a regular cheesesteak instead of a chicken philly for Idaho, Arkansas is shown on a seeded bun instead of white bread, and so forth. Certainly makes me question the list.

Didn't look like ham in the Florida Cuban.

An italian grinder or whatever the hell they did for Rhode Island is a god damn travesty. Its the Ocean State for Christ's sake.

On the same token, I'm not going to Utah for a halibut sandwich.

There is nothing more frustrating than trying to read an article on your phone and then seeing it's a slideshow.

yeah I know. I've stopped reading through most of them. take that, internet!

i seriously stopped reading rolling stone, spin, and paste for this very reason. every single thing is a slideshow now. i actually liked paste at one point, not so much the other two.

i seriously stopped reading rolling stone, spin, and paste for this very reason. every single thing is a slideshow now. i actually liked paste at one point, not so much the other two.

yeah Rolling Stone comes out with those top 100s all the time, so now I'll just Google around and usually can find where someone's just listed them out.

To get back on track with the thread, I'll list the ones of these I've had in the states themselves:

Arkansas: fried bologna
California: french dip
Colorado: Denver sandwich
Florida: the Cuban
Illinois: Italian beef
Kentucky: hot brown
Maryland: lake trout
Michigan: pasty
New Jersey: Italian sub
New York: beef on weck
North Carolina: chopped pork (though most times it's been pulled pork)
Ohio: Polish boy
Pennsylvania: Roast pork, broccoli rabe, provolone
Tennessee: hoecake
Washington, DC: half-smoke

I've probably had 10 more in New York or Philly from other states. SANDWICHES FUCKING ROCK.

Back