• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

50 States, 50 Sammiches

Philly being listed for anything other than the cheesesteak is fucking retarded.

Philly being listed for anything other than the cheesesteak is fucking retarded.

not really. spend some time in philly and you'll learn that most people get the pork/broccoli rabe more often.

by the way, townie, have you been down to the sarcone's yet? junkyard special is my jam:

Sliced turkey, prosciutto, sauteed spinach, roasted red pepper, sharp provolone and fresh mozzarella cheeses, red wine vinegar, oil and dry herbs.

hot sandos vs. cold sandos

who ya got?

Initial reaction is hot, because I can't think of too many sandwiches that are better cold than hot. I'd rather eat a grilled ham and cheese than just a ham and cheese. Even perhaps the most classic cold sandwich, IMO, the club, is better toasted and warm.

I'm a hot sandwich guy every time if that's an option.

buckets, did you see my question about best place for a french dip in LA? The Zagat article lists a different place than Philippe's, which I always had heard was the best.

I'm really split on thie hot vs cold, though regardless I almost always prefer my bread untoasted.

not really. spend some time in philly and you'll learn that most people get the pork/broccoli rabe more often.

by the way, townie, have you been down to the sarcone's yet? junkyard special is my jam:

Sliced turkey, prosciutto, sauteed spinach, roasted red pepper, sharp provolone and fresh mozzarella cheeses, red wine vinegar, oil and dry herbs.

Big Mix sounds like the hot version of that without spinach and cheese, and that's what I usually get. That place is so awesome. There are some gems in the Italian market.

Initial reaction is hot, because I can't think of too many sandwiches that are better cold than hot. I'd rather eat a grilled ham and cheese than just a ham and cheese. Even perhaps the most classic cold sandwich, IMO, the club, is better toasted and warm.

yep. i enjoy cold sandwiches, but if warm is an option, i'd rather have warm.

I'm a hot sandwich guy every time if that's an option.

buckets, did you see my question about best place for a french dip in LA? The Zagat article lists a different place than Philippe's, which I always had heard was the best.

haven't really explored the french dip scene properly yet, other than mendocino farms but all of their sandwiches are good. tried to go to philippe's once but it was way too packed.

i bet palma actually has some good recs

There's a place in Brentwood that makes a huge and tasty French Dip. I think it's call the Roast Deli.

I'm really split on thie hot vs cold, though regardless I almost always prefer my bread untoasted.

This. Not sure I would say that I "always" prefer my bread untoasted. It's a seasonal thing for me. I love a cold sammie on a hot day.

The best way for a cheesesteak is to put the roll over the meat for a few seconds. That's not toasted but is heated.

On the way back from Boston yesterday we stopped at Capriotti's in Wilmington Delaware so RSF could pick up a "Bobbie" for his girlfriend. I didn't try that, but their meatball sub was fucking delicious.

Holy balls there are some good looking sandwiches on there.

No, properly rated.

As for pizza vs. sandwiches, I'm not sure where I stand, but shitty pizza > shitty sandwiches.

A good sandwich has to have finesse. I think it's harder to execute.

PBJ disagrees with your statement. Shitty pizza is better than any sandwich out of the wheel of death. That sandwich was edible the day it was made, but sitting in a box for two weeks made it disgusting.

Back