• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

500 Million Straws A Day

As if our Furrowed-Browed Champion of Truth and Light is not already all over Strawgate:

Screen-Shot-2018-01-27-at-6.53.27-AM.png

too many fatties drinking unhealthy sugary and/or carbonated beverages

just don't take away my water bottl...HEY!

This seems like a reasonable estimate. There are an estimated 650,000 restaurants in the US. If a restaurant has an average of 1000 guests per day with 50% of them ordering a beverage with a straw that’s 325 Million.

Then you add on convenience stores, home consumption, school/college consumption, bars...you probably get pretty close to 500 Million. Definitely in the ballpark.

We should just have a rule that it is illegal for straight cis men to use straws, and that will go a long way in solving the problem. No straight cis man has ever looked cool using a straw.

1000 guests per day per restaurant?!

On average. When you start to include coffee shops like Starbucks or other high traffic restaurants like McDonalds, it’s going to offset smaller mom and pop places.

I doubt any restaurant can survive off of fewer than 250-500 guests per day.

I think it's closer to 500 guests a day and everyone getting at least one beverage on average. Think about how often a server takes your finished drink and comes back with a fresh drink and a new straw.

I think it's closer to 500 guests a day and everyone getting at least one beverage on average. Think about how often a server takes your finished drink and comes back with a fresh drink and a new straw.

Solid point.

You are way over on most restaurants. At $15 per cover and 400 guests/day, you'd be saying the average restaurant does over $2M in annual revenue.

We should just have a rule that it is illegal for straight cis men to use straws, and that will go a long way in solving the problem. No straight cis man has ever looked cool using a straw.

yeah if you are over 18 and still using a straw outside of the occasional to-go cup in the car, you need prison time or community service or something.

Same goes for chewing gum in public with the exception of while participating in sports. And if you hold your knife like a dagger, or like you are drawing a circle with a compass in geometry, you don't deserve to eat. Show a little class, America.

You are way over on most restaurants. At $15 per cover and 400 guests/day, you'd be saying the average restaurant does over $2M in annual revenue.

Just ran some numbers in a market research database. You’re right...my numbers on the high end.

2017 total US restaurants = 677,000
2017 total US transactions = 61.5 Billion

Transactions per store per day = ~250

That being said...my point still stands. The OP made it sound like 500 Million per day is way off the mark and based on the data and some quick but reasonable assumptions, 500 Million straws per day is in the ballpark.

yeah if you are over 18 and still using a straw outside of the occasional to-go cup in the car, you need prison time or community service or something.

Same goes for chewing gum in public with the exception of while participating in sports. And if you hold your knife like a dagger, or like you are drawing a circle with a compass in geometry, you don't deserve to eat. Show a little class, America.

And +1000% on this.

Just ran some numbers in a market research database. You’re right...my numbers on the high end.

2017 total US restaurants = 677,000
2017 total US transactions = 61.5 Billion

Transactions per store per day = ~250

That being said...my point still stands. The OP made it sound like 500 Million per day is way off the mark and based on the data and some quick but reasonable assumptions, 500 Million straws per day is in the ballpark.

ETA: at 1 straw per transaction, you’re looking at 168 Million straw per day in restaurants alone.

I've never heard of someone complaining about people chewing gum in public before.

it's kinda obnoxious/gross

i've heard the complaint about this kid's estimates but it seems like a relatively simple matter for any number of statistician/economist to figure out a more accurate figure if it was such a terribad guess

Back