• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

500 Million Straws A Day

Obama-Drinking.jpg

Now this I definitely agree with. One issue I have is that we can institute straw bans and feel great that we are helping the planet but it is just a drop in the bucket that makes people feel good with out actually leading to tremendous benefits. We really need a thorough rethinking of all our waste production, especially non-biodegradable wastes, and to change our throw-away culture.
Exactly, all banning straws really does is make people feel good, it is not really making a tangible difference. We need to ban ALL single use plastics, and start actually making some sacrifices in order to insure a better cleaner earth. Otherwise we are just sitting around patting ourselves in the back while we continue to ruin the world for the generations to come.

Exactly, all banning straws really does is make people feel good, it is not really making a tangible difference. We need to ban ALL single use plastics, and start actually making some sacrifices in order to insure a better cleaner earth. Otherwise we are just sitting around patting ourselves in the back while we continue to ruin the world for the generations to come.

Imagine how clean this beach would be with out the straws!

Third-Flush-by-Fabian-Lewkowicz_3-696x467.jpg

This is Santa Monica beach by the way, not some shit hole trash filled south Asia country.

Last edited:
Imagine how clean this beach would be with out the straws!

Third-Flush-by-Fabian-Lewkowicz_3-696x467.jpg

This is Santa Monica beach by the way, not some shit hole trash filled south Asia country.
Pretty good video, showing how bad/sad the problem is.

People still use straws? I figured out drinks taste better without straws in 4th grade*

*Assuming no ice melt of course

In spite of knowing that over 100,000,000 plastic bags enter the ocean on our beaches annually, the Huntington Beach City Council repealed a law banning them citing it took away "freedom" from our citizens. Luckily, the state passed a law making the HB decision moot.

Last edited:
Pretty good video, showing how bad/sad the problem is.

Good video. The extent of this problem was first brought to my awareness by Carl Safina, who wrote the book Eye of the Albatross in 2005. He actually worked with Wake Forest Biology Professor, Dave Anderson, on parts of the book. The book follows an individual nesting albatross on Midway Island that Dave had put a satellite tracker on and Carl wrote descriptions of the challenges the bird faced on each foraging trip out into the ocean. The part that just killed me was a scene that he observed of a parent alabatross, not the focal animal but some other parent in the same colony, trying to feed its baby. But, it could not regurgitate any food because it had green plastic tooth brush, that it had probably swallowed at sea thinking it was food, stuck in its throat. I started thinking about all the tooth brushes I had used and discarded over my, then, 27 years. Where were they? Did some animal try to eat them and choke? My awareness spiraled from there. I had been an environmental activist for some time (e.g., I helped convince the AD to stop releasing hundreds of balloons into the air at every home football game as the players ran out of the locker room), but this story of this poor choking bird and it's hungry baby somehow really brought it home for me.

Will straws in films go the way of cigarettes? Oh hell, for old times' sake...

Shake.jpg

Apparently we toss out about the same number of single use condoms a day in the US.

Seafood_posters-7.jpg

love all the drinking out of a straw to own the libs tweets I'm seeing

Back