• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

500 Million Straws A Day

Just ran some numbers in a market research database. You’re right...my numbers on the high end.

2017 total US restaurants = 677,000
2017 total US transactions = 61.5 Billion

Transactions per store per day = ~250

That being said...my point still stands. The OP made it sound like 500 Million per day is way off the mark and based on the data and some quick but reasonable assumptions, 500 Million straws per day is in the ballpark.

That's not what I was saying at all. My point is that we don't know it is on the mark or off the mark because we are basing it the math of a 9 year old, and then presenting that math as fact. It might even be low, idk, you don't know, and the media who should be responsible for fact checking doesn't know either.

Also agree that grown men shouldn't use straws, but it still sucks to have to listen to your GF bitch about not getting a straw for five minutes everytime you go out to eat.

That's not what I was saying at all. My point is that we don't know it is on the mark or off the mark because we are basing it the math of a 9 year old, and then presenting that math as fact. It might even be low, idk, you don't know, and the media who should be responsible for fact checking doesn't know either.

Also agree that grown men shouldn't use straws, but it still sucks to have to listen to your GF bitch about not getting a straw for five minutes everytime you go out to eat.

Stop dating 6 year olds.

I think the kid in the article makes the better point though - that's a shit ton of straws regardless of if it's off by a substantial magnitude and we should stop using so many.

Milo appears to be extraordinarily well-traveled for someone his age

he should look into reducing his carbon footprint

I think the kid in the article makes the better point though - that's a shit ton of straws regardless of if it's off by a substantial magnitude and we should stop using so many.

we're so fucking used to disposable everything that a insignificant inconvenience (for most non-disabled people) is somehow a political issue.

tell her to go buy a fucking metal straw or two

here you go - don't even have to worry about christmas/bday

8 straws for $9

But this is how estimation works. We really have no capacity to precisely measure anything that occurs on such a large scale. You have sample a population and devise a reasonable extrapolation process. What this kid did is imprecise, but it is still a reasonable attempt to quantify the magnitude of the problem. In this case, the precise number does not matter, people don't need to use straws unless you are physically disabled, so anything over a few million a week is far too many.

ETA: It says it right there in the article: "Through his research, Cress estimated Americans use about 500 million straws — including clear plastic straws, bendy straws, straws on juice boxes, cocktail straws and plastic drink stirrers — every day..." "Estimated" means that the number is calculated with some degree of uncertainty. It's the reporters fault for not reporting the variance estimate along side the point estimate.

Last edited:
But this is how estimation works. We really have no capacity to precisely measure anything that occurs on such a large scale. You have sample a population and devise a reasonable extrapolation process. What this kid did is imprecise, but it is still a reasonable attempt to quantify the magnitude of the problem. In this case, the precise number does not matter, people don't need to use straws unless you are physically disabled, so anything over a few million a week is far too many.

Fermi estimation FTW.

One minor convenience straws offer-prevents you from getting hit in the face when the ice cubes that clumped in the glass all fall down as you tip it. I wonder what shape of ice cube would minimize that-seems like a stat mech problem.

Just ran some numbers in a market research database. You’re right...my numbers on the high end.

2017 total US restaurants = 677,000
2017 total US transactions = 61.5 Billion

Transactions per store per day = ~250

That being said...my point still stands. The OP made it sound like 500 Million per day is way off the mark and based on the data and some quick but reasonable assumptions, 500 Million straws per day is in the ballpark.

He forgot to include coke and speed users.

Fermi estimation FTW.

One minor convenience straws offer-prevents you from getting hit in the face when the ice cubes that clumped in the glass all fall down as you tip it. I wonder what shape of ice cube would minimize that-seems like a stat mech problem.

Just use less ice. People don't put ice in their beer or their wine, why would a glass of coke need to be 2/3s ice?

Drinking coffee or tea through a straw is better for the color of your teeth :noidea:

tell her to go buy a fucking metal straw or two

here you go - don't even have to worry about christmas/bday

8 straws for $9

If restaurants can use actual silverware instead of plasticware, why can't they use metal straws instead of plastic straws?

If restaurants can use actual silverware instead of plasticware, why can't they use metal straws instead of plastic straws?

hqdefault.jpg

Also what about plastic cups/ solo cups / those seem like some of the bigger issues or as big. I heard some speculation that straws are worse because nobody will recycle them but nothing really confirmed on that point.

Personally I am all for eliminating single use plastics and think it is a big issue, I just would like to see we are making decisions and adjustments based on solid research.

EDIT* Looks like straws make up just a quarter of one percent of the plastic that pollutes our oceans every year.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2018/07/news-plastic-drinking-straw-history-ban/

Last edited:
Also what about plastic cups/ solo cups / those seem like some of the bigger issues or as big. I heard some speculation that straws are worse because nobody will recycle them but nothing really confirmed on that point.

Personally I am all for eliminating single use plastics and think it is a big issue, I just would like to see we are making decisions and adjustments based on solid research.

EDIT* Looks like straws make up just a quarter of one percent of the plastic that pollutes our oceans every year.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2018/07/news-plastic-drinking-straw-history-ban/

Now this I definitely agree with. One issue I have is that we can institute straw bans and feel great that we are helping the planet but it is just a drop in the bucket that makes people feel good with out actually leading to tremendous benefits. We really need a thorough rethinking of all our waste production, especially non-biodegradable wastes, and to change our throw-away culture.

Now this I definitely agree with. One issue I have is that we can institute straw bans and feel great that we are helping the planet but it is just a drop in the bucket that makes people feel good with out actually leading to tremendous benefits. We really need a thorough rethinking of all our waste production, especially non-biodegradable wastes, and to change our throw-away culture.

Banning straws is just another step in increasing demand for compostable or biodegradable plastic-replacements. Styrofoam has basically disappeared from daily life, because there are now cost effective alternatives.

Back