• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A-Rod's gonna be looking at a lifetime ban as early as Monday?

Kinda depends on his definition of "playing at high levels." A solid handful of players have stuck around into their 40s and made meaningful contributions to their teams. Not a lot of All Star bids, but it's not like it's gone away completely.

35+ year old players will do a lot better when they're not competing against 24-year olds who are jacked up on roids.

A-Rod is an asshole, but he is getting a bum deal here. The fact is, pretty much every great HR hitter of the last 20 years was likely on the juice. Most people would say "the cleanest" was Griffey, Jr., but the stats tell a very different story there - comes off an injury plagued year and then, from 1996-2000, has four straight years of more than 45 HRs, when 45 had been his career best to date. This his body started breaking down with things like torn hamstrings. The point being, if Griffey juiced (or even arguably juiced), and EVERYONE else juiced, baseball is and has been so dirty in the whole story. Selig is trying to come down hard on A-Rod now in an effort to make amends or to have "the last word" or whatever on steroids. It is lame. The truth is, probably a good 1/3 of the players today are dirty, and they have every incentive to continue to try to skirt the rules. A-Rod should be banned 50 games for a first time offense, and that is it.

A-Rod is an asshole, but he is getting a bum deal here. The fact is, pretty much every great HR hitter of the last 20 years was likely on the juice. Most people would say "the cleanest" was Griffey, Jr., but the stats tell a very different story there - comes off an injury plagued year and then, from 1996-2000, has four straight years of more than 45 HRs, when 45 had been his career best to date. This his body started breaking down with things like torn hamstrings. The point being, if Griffey juiced (or even arguably juiced), and EVERYONE else juiced, baseball is and has been so dirty in the whole story. Selig is trying to come down hard on A-Rod now in an effort to make amends or to have "the last word" or whatever on steroids. It is lame. The truth is, probably a good 1/3 of the players today are dirty, and they have every incentive to continue to try to skirt the rules. A-Rod should be banned 50 games for a first time offense, and that is it.

ABC, I agree MLB and Selig were complicit with steroid use. That's the 1st thing they'd bargain away every time, and I'm sure that the owners loved the home run derby that steroids produced - helped get fans over the nasty strike lost year. Not sure if 33% is an accurate number now, but I'd bet it was at least that from the mid 90s until the last couple/few years. And I agree that the suspension should be 50 games. But isn't ARod going to get paid his $$ either way? If so, then what does it matter, because he's pretty washed up either way.

i think if ARod was banned he forfeits that portion of his salary.

regardless, the reason i think that ARod will be made an example is because the Yankees (most powerful MLB organization) are dying to get rid of his contract and that nobody, and i mean nobody likes ARod. i mean, MLB tried to get behind ARod to take over the HR record (career) from Bonds and now they feel betrayed and want to make sure it never happens. i doubt it would but he only needs what, 100 or so HRs?

the funny thing is that people who don't like the yankees are the ones who should hate the lifetime suspension the most. at this point and going forward, a-rod's contract is an albatross (obviously) and the only team that benefits from a lifelong suspension is the team that would otherwise have to pay $100 million plus to a guy who will be worth less than a third of that.

I agree. Wiping shit all over Arod when a third of the league is likely dirty bothers me.

Arod has likely used PED's since at least 2001 and has career earnings in excess of $353,000,000. I have no sympathy for him

I don't see how having ARod really hurts the Yankees, are people suggesting that they won't continue to pay hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars to players anyway?

the funny thing is that people who don't like the yankees are the ones who should hate the lifetime suspension the most. at this point and going forward, a-rod's contract is an albatross (obviously) and the only team that benefits from a lifelong suspension is the team that would otherwise have to pay $100 million plus to a guy who will be worth less than a third of that.

Absolutely this. I sincerely hope the Yankees have to deal with this collassal jerk and his contract for four more years. The two deserve each other.

I agree. Wiping shit all over Arod when a third of the league is likely dirty bothers me.

I'm surprised to hear you say this, seeing as you're such a big Yankees fan. You want them to have to pay out the remainder of his contract? Wouldn't you like to see them spend that money on someone else?

I don't see how having ARod really hurts the Yankees, are people suggesting that they won't continue to pay hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars to players anyway?

No idea what this post means. They would rather spend hundreds of millions on good, younger players than old players.

No idea what this post means. They would rather spend hundreds of millions on good, younger players than old players.

there's no salary cap and they have no shortage of funds available is what he's implying.

Just meant there's no salary cap and while they would rather be paying someone else, it's not really an either or (or at least hasn't been in Yankees history, maybe with George being gone that's different).

Just meant there's no salary cap and while they would rather be paying someone else, it's not really an either or (or at least hasn't been in Yankees history, maybe with George being gone that's different).

Yankees are trying to get under 189 million for next year. If Arod is suspended, then his contract(25-30 million next year) doesn't count and they can go get someone better.

It would be fascinating to know what A-rod's career path sans 'roids would look like.

I'm guessing whatever penalty he faces will pale in comparison to what he ultimately gained by juicing (and that could be said for about every single punishment handed out thus far by MLB to familiar names).

ETA: Everybody here thinks Griffey Jr was clean, right?

Last edited:
It would be fascinating to know what A-rod's career path sans 'roids would look like.

I'm guessing whatever penalty he faces will pale in comparison to what he ultimately gained by juicing (and that could be said for about every single punishment handed out thus far by MLB to familiar names).

ETA: Everybody here thinks Griffey Jr was clean, right?

Without juicing I'm thinking Bobby Bonilla.

Back