• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A-Rod's gonna be looking at a lifetime ban as early as Monday?

I think moons point is valid. Obviously it's a bit overstated, but the days of a whole bunch of older players dominating are likely over. Will there be exceptions? Of course.

As to the issue at hand, has ARod ever been suspended for PED use before? Baseball and the union struck a deal on this re penalties, and I don't see how baseball could ignore its own rules on this without an arbitrator reversing. I know there was one positive test, but that was supposed to be a confidential test and baseball leaked it.

Without juicing I'm thinking Bobby Bonilla.

A lot closer to Jeter. Recall that ARod was a pretty damn good SS for the Mariners 100 years ago. I don't recall what his power numbers were, but IIRC, he was regarded by some as the best player in baseball.

Jason Giambi broke Hank Aaron's record as oldest player to hit a walk off homer last night.

He's a part time player who has made the league minimum for a few years.

I am resisting the conversation about what certain players would be without PEDs.

If MLB finds that Arod obstructed the PED investigation, he can apparently be suspended as a violation of the CBA. Per ESPN, he would not be paid during his appeal under such a suspension.

I'm tired of Bud & ARod but what burns me more is the lying & obstructing by ARod. Do that somewhere else in the work place and with your wife (who left him eons ago when he was chasing Madonna) and they'll hang you by your balls.

as a 20 yo a-rod hit 36 hrs, 54 2bs, and had a .358 ba. i think comparing him to jeter is pretty far off.

A-Rod is an asshole, but he is getting a bum deal here. The fact is, pretty much every great HR hitter of the last 20 years was likely on the juice. Most people would say "the cleanest" was Griffey, Jr., but the stats tell a very different story there - comes off an injury plagued year and then, from 1996-2000, has four straight years of more than 45 HRs, when 45 had been his career best to date. This his body started breaking down with things like torn hamstrings. The point being, if Griffey juiced (or even arguably juiced), and EVERYONE else juiced, baseball is and has been so dirty in the whole story. Selig is trying to come down hard on A-Rod now in an effort to make amends or to have "the last word" or whatever on steroids. It is lame. The truth is, probably a good 1/3 of the players today are dirty, and they have every incentive to continue to try to skirt the rules. A-Rod should be banned 50 games for a first time offense, and that is it.

Injury plagued year? He broke his wrist and missed 75 games, probably not an injury steroids are going to help you recover from. You can watch the play he broke it here. [video]http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=3850092&topic_id=10728310[/video]

Griffey was age 26-30 in those four years after the injury and clearly in his prime. Yeah his career best HR year at the time was 45..at age 23. Of course the next season he would have easily passed 45 home runs because he was already at 40 through 112 games in the strike shortened season. If Griffey would have rattled off those stats at age 33-37, maybe your argument has some merit.

Injury plagued year? He broke his wrist and missed 75 games, probably not an injury steroids are going to help you recover from. You can watch the play he broke it here. [video]http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=3850092&topic_id=10728310[/video]

Griffey was age 26-30 in those four years after the injury and clearly in his prime. Yeah his career best HR year at the time was 45..at age 23. Of course the next season he would have easily passed 45 home runs because he was already at 40 through 112 games in the strike shortened season. If Griffey would have rattled off those stats at age 33-37, maybe your argument has some merit.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/402223-why-do-we-always-assume-ken-griffey-jr-didnt-use-steroids

as a 20 yo a-rod hit 36 hrs, 54 2bs, and had a .358 ba. i think comparing him to jeter is pretty far off.

As I said, I don't recall his power numbers. The point was that he'd be a great player, or could be, without te juice - like Jeter. He wouldn't be Bobby Bonilla.

oh ok. yeah, dude is an hofer w/o the juice. this si why i dont get in to these convos. theyre pointless and dumb.

Griffey at age 22 hit 27 HR...40 in the strike shortened season when he was 24. Mickey Mantle hit 27 home runs at age 22 and 52 at age 24. Mantle must have been taking steroids....along with his greenies. :cool:

Mantle had two seasons over fifty HR, and they were spaced out by five or six years. Griffey went on a huge power binge during the peak of the steroids era. The point is, no one knows if Griffey juiced. I don't care if he did. I think he probably did, but I don't care. Just using him to try to make the point that the holier-than-thou approach by MLB regarding A-Rod is unfair.

i don't get what arod did that everyone else didn't do that makes 1.5 yr-life bans seem like they are coming. how was his steroid use more damaging to the integrity of the game than everyone else's?

because he's hurting the yanks bottom line.

Most people would say "the cleanest" was Griffey, Jr.
tumblr_kxqawkZebk1qzyusjo1_500_display_image.jpg

Last edited:
Mantle had two seasons over fifty HR, and they were spaced out by five or six years. Griffey went on a huge power binge during the peak of the steroids era. The point is, no one knows if Griffey juiced. I don't care if he did. I think he probably did, but I don't care. Just using him to try to make the point that the holier-than-thou approach by MLB regarding A-Rod is unfair.

You know else only had two fifty home run seasons...Ken Griffey

A-Rod is getting this treatment because twice he snagged the biggest contract in the history of baseball while juicing during at least one of those contracts. He was, is and will always be a phony. A-rod should die an extremely wealthy man, but for now he deserves bit of scrutiny coming away and then some.

Back