• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Anounces Notre Dame opponents 2015-2025

And Miss St and Ole Miss should both absolutely go if they don't collectively lose to anyone else. It would be ludicrous to exclude them

Too bad Archie Manning just pulled himself off of the Playoff Committee.

If that's because you think they're not going to go 11-1, then sure.

If it's any other reason, they should absolutely make it.

And Miss St and Ole Miss should both absolutely go if they don't collectively lose to anyone else. It would be ludicrous to exclude them

You're leaving out the Big Ten champ, who might get that spot ahead of a Big 12 champ, or the Egg Bowl loser.

Still, it's an interesting discussion.

You're leaving out the Big Ten champ, who might get that spot ahead of a Big 12 champ, or the Egg Bowl loser.

Still, it's an interesting discussion.

I think what will really make things interesting is if Alabama and Auburn turn around and knock off Mississippi State and Ole Miss so they all have one loss. If they can all then beat LSU and avoid tripping up against the rest of the conference - Auburn still has to play at Georgia - they will all enter the final week matched up with their rival all with one loss and a clusterfuck as to who wins the division. It sounds silly but it's relatively realistic.

Or hell if Alabama wins out and Mississippi State beats Ole Miss (with both teams winning out otherwise) the SEC West has two teams sitting at home for conference championship week with an 11-1 record (Alabama would be 11-1 with a loss to Ole Miss, Mississippi State would be 11-1 with a loss to Alabama, and Ole Miss would be 11-1 with a loss to Mississippi State).

Then what the hell do you do?

Yeah, we went over all of this yesterday on the CFB thread. It's not clear right now and may become increasingly unclear.

All the more reason why it should just be the top 4 teams between the conference champs and ND. The SEC already has a way to figure out their champion. Why bother picking 2, 3, or even 4 SEC teams just to do it all over again?

Too bad Archie Manning just pulled himself off of the Playoff Committee.
One Committee member has quit. Another one this week said he is giving Oregon a pass on their loss because they had some injuries to their OL or something ridiculously stupid like that.

All the more reason why it should just be the top 4 teams between the conference champs and ND. The SEC already has a way to figure out their champion. Why bother picking 2, 3, or even 4 SEC teams just to do it all over again?
If two make it the committee needs to split them up in the first round at the very least.

What's their method? Do they just rank them 1 through 4 and matchup them up 1 v. 4 and 2 v. 3? I think they should pit the SEC teams against each other if it turns out that way - or hell even if not, it can be the South region and awesome.

And I see both sides of the "take the best conference champions" but does anybody really doubt that Mississippi State is better than Kansas State or TCU even if they lose by a point or something to Alabama, Ole Miss, or Georgia?

What's their method? Do they just rank them 1 through 4 and matchup them up 1 v. 4 and 2 v. 3? I think they should pit the SEC teams against each other if it turns out that way - or hell even if not, it can be the South region and awesome.

And I see both sides of the "take the best conference champions" but does anybody really doubt that Mississippi State is better than Kansas State or TCU even if they lose by a point or something to Alabama, Ole Miss, or Georgia?

There really isn't enough crossover in the schedules to be sure about that. But what we will know is that the SEC Champion is the best team in the SEC. So why not start off with that?

If you put two in you need to make them earn a title bout against other conference champions.

I don't know that we do know that because it just uses the transitive property. I mean it definitely indicates that a team has nobody to blame but themselves for losing but if Alabama, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State all end 11-1 and the team that wins the West goes and loses to a Georgia team that finishes 10-2 with a loss to Auburn coming down the stretch do we all believe Georgia is the best SEC team? I don't think so.

There really isn't enough crossover in the schedules to be sure about that. But what we will know is that the SEC Champion is the best team in the SEC. So why not start off with that?

Really? Conference championship games make the best team being crowned less of a sure thing. What if Georgia loses to Auburn and Ga Tech (yeah, right) and rolls into the SECCG at 9-3, then beats an unbeaten Mississippi State or Ole Miss and is then crowned the SEC champion. Is Georgia really the best team at that time. This is why we have 64+ teams in the NCAAT.

I don't know that we do know that because it just uses the transitive property. I mean it definitely indicates that a team has nobody to blame but themselves for losing but if Alabama, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State all end 11-1 and the team that wins the West goes and loses to a Georgia team that finishes 10-2 with a loss to Auburn coming down the stretch do we all believe Georgia is the best SEC team? I don't think so.

So we don't know which team is best in the same conference of teams, but we do know that 11-1 SEC teams are better than one or two loss teams from other conferences?

C'mon man. That doesn't make any sense. The SEC does two sets of round-robins and the teams that emerge play for the champion. That's about as good as you can do to determine the best team among 16 teams.

Going with the top 4 conference champs + ND is the best way to eliminate bias. Let programs sort themselves out (into conferences) and decide their own champs then place those champs into the playoff.

You say that's unfair to the SEC? No. They'll always get their team in.

You say it unfairly benefits FSU in a weak conference? No. Lose once and they might not get in.

You say it's unfair to ND since they don't play in a conference? No. Either get in a conference or deal with the risk.

You say it's unfair to the 5th conference champ? Maybe. But it's better than parsing out who deserves a 2nd SEC spot between the championship game loser and a one-loss team who couldn't win their division.

Really? Conference championship games make the best team being crowned less of a sure thing. What if Georgia loses to Auburn and Ga Tech (yeah, right) and rolls into the SECCG at 9-3, then beats an unbeaten Mississippi State or Ole Miss and is then crowned the SEC champion. Is Georgia really the best team at that time. This is why we have 64+ teams in the NCAAT.

They're the champion. And if we end up with a 16 team NCAA Football Playoff out of this, that's fine with me. I just think it's much more reasonable to assume that SEC Champ is better than the SEC runner-up they just beat than to assume the SEC runner-up is better than the Pac-12 Champ.

WSC, I don't think that an 11-1 Kansas State or TCU team jumps an 11-1 SEC West team do you - that's how I feel they would be excluded.

Probably not an SEC West team.

The Big Ten winner, absolutely. And I'd take them over a 12-1 FSU and potentially over a 12-1 Pac-12 winner, depending on who it is

I seriously doubt that the SEC will get two teams this year, but it can turn into a real mess if both of the teams that played in the SECCG wind up with two losses and there are one or two other teams in the SEC West who only have one loss. And that's not some infinitesimally small possibility at this point either.

Probably not an SEC West team.

The Big Ten winner, absolutely. And I'd take them over a 12-1 FSU and potentially over a 12-1 Pac-12 winner, depending on who it is

FSU is not going to be 12-1. Don't you bring that weak tot action!

Rejected+don+t+you+bring+that+weak+tot+action+you+go+_8ceac5f157b5488d93799d513b6c9b1d.gif

Back