• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Mens Golf Championships

It seems that WFU started all three rounds on the more difficult back nine... is that the case? Did all the teams have the same starting position each round? I thought that starting position would've been rotated to be fair. I know that since all teams play the same holes it shouldn't matter where you start. However, golf is such a psychological game, I think it's only natural that you would start to press because you know you are falling behind, even if you know the front nine will be easier.

Stanford is on FIRE.

Also, in troll news, UNCC made the turn on the front 9 at +1. They have lost the lead and there is a freight train coming for them, they would be lucky to hang onto the top-5 after today.

Nice prediction Nostradumbass!

3 37 Florida
4 - 8
281 292 - -
T2
1 11 Stanford
1 - 4
290 275 - -
T2
- 50 Charlotte
1 - 4
275 291 - -
1 1 Florida State
1 - 4
284 286 - -
1 36 Clemson
4 - 8
284 291 - -
The top 5 teams advance to the Championship
(Ties will be resolved.)
2 24 Kennesaw State
4 - 8
287 286 - -
1 19 North Carolina
+5
5 - 7
+6
286 289 - -
2 25 Wake Forest
+8
2 - 5
+2
294 288 - -
T9
1 49 GRU Augusta
+10
5 - 7
+8
292 286 - -
T9
- McNeese State
+10
5 - 7
+6
296 284 - -
T11
- Penn State
+16
2 - 5
+2
292 298 - -
T11
1 Loyola - Maryland
+16
2 - 5
300 293 - -
- Miami (OH)
+18
9:20
-
297 297 - -

Today the top 6 started on the front nine, the bottom 7 on the back nine. Anybody know how starting position was determined for each round?

Blame it on the course, blame it on the nine we started on, whatever. Pretty underwhelming performance. I thought we would do better this year.

It has been quite a while since we had a good postseason tournament.

Wasn't blaming, just curious. Not a golfer and wondering if starting position on a golf course with a disparity in difficulty between front and back nine makes a difference.

Today the top 6 started on the front nine, the bottom 7 on the back nine. Anybody know how starting position was determined for each round?

Round 1, seeds 1-3 front 4-6 back, 7-9 front, 10-12 back, 13 and individuals front

Round 2: places 1-6 front and 7-13 and individuals back

Same for round 3.

The back was tough but we seemed to struggle on it much worse than the teams we should have been competing against.

Thanks for the info. If starting on the back nine is a problem then having a bad first day is a killer.

What is going to be our excuse when we bring in these young bucks and crap out next year in the ACCs and Regionals?

Jerry Out...

Too much talent, history, and facilities going for us to not make the NCAA Tournament.

any idea how much money the golf coach makes? the baseball coach also for that matter?

any idea how much money the golf coach makes? the baseball coach also for that matter?

Nobody has been more overpaid of late that Coach James Britt Grobe was in the years 2010, 2012. and 2013. Those teams were pitiful and the effort was not there from the team nor coaches especially in 12 and 13. Coach Clawson is paying the price now.

Wasn't blaming, just curious. Not a golfer and wondering if starting position on a golf course with a disparity in difficulty between front and back nine makes a difference.

IMO not really. You have to play both sides eventually. I'd much rather go ahead and get the hard ones out of the way and then turn to the easy ones coming in. Gives you a shit ton of confidence if you play the hard side first and play it well because then at the turn you know you have a shot at going low. I highly doubt that they were even thinking about it.

Jerry Out...

Too much talent, history, and facilities going for us to not make the NCAA Tournament.

3 Freshmen, 1 soph and 1 junior is too young. The tournament was a huge learning experience. Not saying that I'm pro Jerry or anything but you have to realize how young the team was. They're a year away. If they fail then sure go for the pitchfork.
CLT- 1 Senior, 2 Juniors, 2 Sophs
FSU- 2 JR, 3 Soph,
Stanford had the same composition but you don't see many days like they had the second day.

Basically Wake is loaded for the next 3-4 years.

Also, this was the NCAA tournament.

3 Freshmen, 1 soph and 1 junior is too young. The tournament was a huge learning experience. Not saying that I'm pro Jerry or anything but you have to realize how young the team was. They're a year away. If they fail then sure go for the pitchfork.
CLT- 1 Senior, 2 Juniors, 2 Sophs
FSU- 2 JR, 3 Soph,
Stanford had the same composition but you don't see many days like they had the second day.

Basically Wake is loaded for the next 3-4 years.

Also, this was the NCAA tournament.

I know Jerry gets a bonus for making the ACC tournament. I assume he gets bonus for NCAA's also.

LOL. Making the regionals should be the absolute minimum expectation for keeping his job.

I have been begging for Haas to be fired for years but even I wouldn't fire him now--we will have the best talent in many years on our team next fall.

My thoughts exactly. There's really no defending Haas anymore, in my opinion. But, the talent he's brought in, and bringing in, is just too good to risk losing by letting him go.

Back