• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Sports Journal tackles [Redacted]

I was just guessing. I'm sure someone else can corroborate or find that tweet he made -- something along the lines of "they told me I would never make it, now I have offers from 5 major programs" or something along those lines.

About Green, the official site lists those offers:

http://wakeforestsports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/green_daniel00.html

Since I'm sure some of you believe that's just lies from the athletic department, here are some supplementary articles:

http://www.bearinsider.com/news/story.php?article=1077

http://www.techsideline.com/news_archive/newsFilterBasketballRecruiting-1.php

In truth our player with the worst offer sheet is our highest ranked recruit. And he was never actually recruited as he committed to Marshall as a sophomore and then committed to us very soon after he decommitted. He was scheduled to take a VT visit the weekend after we offered.

I'm not judging the individual recruits. I hope they do well at Wake Forest. I'm judging this new-fangled philosophy where we are apparently only competitive for two and three star players. I have my doubts as to whether this is a philosophy at all, or merely an excuse for the fact Bzzz either can't get, or doesn't want to put in the long hours required to sign, big time basketball recruits. The kind that are actually needed to win the league and progress in the tournament, not just hope to be bubble bound year in and year out.

I posted on this at length on the other board. Setting aside the awful year we had and the high probability of more of the same next season, I think Buzz has a very low ceiling in the league with his system and players long term. Its like Wellman has decided .500 or so in the league and a good year every now and then is acceptable as long as everybody graduates, stays out of trouble, has no tats or dreds, reps the school well, has good socks and so on. Success and those things are not mutually exclusive. If that is what Wake wants out of our flagship program, count me out as a fan and contributor and I spent seven years of my life at my beloved school.

Well said, I will not be satisfied with that outcome as well. There are no guarantees about how Bz.'s guys will fit in either. Our recruiting stategy appears unlikely to get us into championship contention.

Well said, I will not be satisfied with that outcome as well. There are no guarantees about how Bz.'s guys will fit in either. Our recruiting stategy appears unlikely to get us into championship contention.

Our staff believes they are getting very, very good players. Especially in the 2012 class.

I would not mind our recruiting strategy if I felt confident that our coach could get the most out of his players. That is what good to great coaches are able to do.

I've read the glowing reviews by NC Scout and know he is a good guy. However, when a good body of their work has been evaluated I will lead the cheers if they have wowed everyone as predicted. I have low confidence in Coach Bz but really am pro Wake as far as players go. Heck, I even like James even though he is currently out of vogue.

Wake has been getting sleepers that the big boys supposedly overlooked for years now.

For every James Johnson, there's 10 Cam Stan's.

OTOH, only two "locks" have committed in the last decade. CP3 and Farouq.

Jimmer and the Deacs

Was reading a bio article on him this afternoon.

Jimmer says "Syracuse, Wake Forest and West Virginia wanted him."

Huh?

Wake has been getting sleepers that the big boys supposedly overlooked for years now.

Cam Stan was a 5* when he committed, IIRC.

Weren't Walker and Woods both supposed to be "locks" as well? I'm asking this more in the sense of refreshing my memory, and less in the sense of saying that recruiting 5* players doesn't always work out. I'd rather take the chance that a 5* doesn't work out then pray that a 2* turns out to be a stud.

Weren't Walker and Woods both supposed to be "locks" as well? I'm asking this more in the sense of refreshing my memory, and less in the sense of saying that recruiting 5* players doesn't always work out. I'd rather take the chance that a 5* doesn't work out then pray that a 2* turns out to be a stud.

Agree about rolling the dice on high risk/reward players, like Ty.

IIRC, both Tony Woods and especially Ty Walker were considered projects with loads of potential upside.

An argument could be made that Eric Williams was another lock, given he was a McDonald's AA, but it'd have to be pretty convincing. He showed up to campus at what, 330 pounds?

Damn it, I was thinking Harvey Hale, but typed Cam Stan for some reason.

My point stands.

Our previous coaches didn't have the scouting skillzzzz of [Redacted]. Hale had some pretty nice offers, anyway. And he shut down OJ Mayo.

Back