• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

According to Dan

Once again he's serviceable in a pass happy spread offense. If you ask him to do anything else (option, line up in the I, literally anything else) he's unable to succeed. And realistically where would Tanner be if he wasn't at Wake? You fanboys always talk about how Harbaugh offered him a scholarship, do you think he would be starting at Stanford? Because I sure as hell don't. He'd probably of transferred back to be playing at Rice or UTEP or somewhere comparable.

I can't speak for everybody who has "defended" Tanner, but I know I've never said this and I don't really remember anybody else saying that either unless I've just skipped over it - which is also extremely possible.

Tanner is fine lining up in the I, he just hasn't had a remotely serviceable line at any point. No one is arguing he's consistent, but I would definitely posit that the reason he's inconsistent is because he's had roughly one second to throw for the entire time he's been at Wake. If we had ever had an average line, or even slightly below average, I think it would be easier to see what kind of QB Tanner really is. He obviously hasn't produced the kind of results that some people here want him to, but I don't really see what you would expect any QB to do in our offense that isn't an All-ACC or All-American type.

Tanner has thrown for almost 2000 yards this year, has a completion percentage of 56% (definitely on the low side), has thrown for 12 TDs and 5 interceptions and has done so in an offense which has established a good running game in exactly one half of football over the course of the entire season (the second half against Army). He's a solid game manager quarterback, I guess people just want him to take games over which I don't think is fair to ask him to do given the surrounding parts and given the positions he's been put in by the coaching staff.

Tanner's 3rd in the ACC in completions and fourth in yards with only 5 picks. He has one legitimate target to go along with a weak running game and a poor offensive line. As a sophomore he threw for 3,000 yards with only 6 picks.

Of all the issues Wake has, Tanner is nowhere near the top of the list. Solid ACC QB who has been asked to do way too much for teams with gaping holes. I think some posters should review Riley's numbers before praising him while skewering Tanner.

I can't speak for everybody who has "defended" Tanner, but I know I've never said this and I don't really remember anybody else saying that either unless I've just skipped over it - which is also extremely possible.

Tanner is fine lining up in the I, he just hasn't had a remotely serviceable line at any point. No one is arguing he's consistent, but I would definitely posit that the reason he's inconsistent is because he's had roughly one second to throw for the entire time he's been at Wake. If we had ever had an average line, or even slightly below average, I think it would be easier to see what kind of QB Tanner really is. He obviously hasn't produced the kind of results that some people here want him to, but I don't really see what you would expect any QB to do in our offense that isn't an All-ACC or All-American type.

Tanner has thrown for almost 2000 yards this year, has a completion percentage of 56% (definitely on the low side), has thrown for 12 TDs and 5 interceptions and has done so in an offense which has established a good running game in exactly one half of football over the course of the entire season (the second half against Army). He's a solid game manager quarterback, I guess people just want him to take games over which I don't think is fair to ask him to do given the surrounding parts and given the positions he's been put in by the coaching staff.

Look it's certainly not just Tanner, but he's part of it. He misses a lot of throws, that's not debatable. He also makes a lot of good throws that get dropped. I think he's better than the QB's at several ACC schools, I'd take him over anybody State, Syracuse, Virginia, and Maryland has, but that's not really saying a whole lot.

Look it's certainly not just Tanner, but he's part of it. He misses a lot of throws, that's not debatable. He also makes a lot of good throws that get dropped. I think he's better than the QB's at several ACC schools, I'd take him over anybody State, Syracuse, Virginia, and Maryland has, but that's not really saying a whole lot.

I agree it doesn't say a whole lot other than he's a typical ACC quarterback.

this thread sucks. regardless of whether or not Tanner is an elite qb or a championship winner WGAF. he doesn't start himself. he tries his best- sure he makes some mistakes but who doesn't?

Tanner deserves some constructive criticism, but the blame is misplaced. even with Winston or Boyd, we are not going bowling folks. the rest of the pieces just aren't there. that's not a player problem, it's a coaching problem

this thread sucks. regardless of whether or not Tanner is an elite qb or a championship winner WGAF. he doesn't start himself. he tries his best- sure he makes some mistakes but who doesn't?

Tanner deserves some constructive criticism, but the blame is misplaced. even with Winston or Boyd, we are not going bowling folks. the rest of the pieces just aren't there. that's not a player problem, it's a coaching problem

But this was supposed to be the year that we went back to a bowl!:tear:

I disagree. The reason we aren't going bowling is the fact the coaches wasted the first 4 games of the season running an offensive scheme that was probably the worst possible choice of schemes given our personnel. I have no doubt we'd have beaten ULM and I think we'd have probably beaten BC if was had run the offense we ran against against State, Maryland, and Miami. We could've easily been already been bowl eligible right now and playing with house money like Duke is. This team had the pieces to at least be a bowl team, unfortunately 1/3 of the season was spent trying to fit the pieces on offense into a hole that didn't fit.

But this was supposed to be the year that we went back to a bowl!:tear:

In the name of "culture change", how about a self-respecting program that refuses nonsense bowl invites for 6 win seasons? That actually plays the game of football with the intent and expectation of realized, not moral, victory.

In the name of "culture change", how about a self-respecting program that refuses nonsense bowl invites for 6 win seasons? That actually plays the game of football with the intent and expectation of realized, not moral, victory.

You realize that would mean schools turning down money and that just isn't going to happen.

Had Grobe and staff not screwed the pooch on the option offense nonsense, we'd likely be sitting at 6-3 now shooting for upwards of an 8 win season.

Tanner's 3rd in the ACC in completions and fourth in yards with only 5 picks. He has one legitimate target to go along with a weak running game and a poor offensive line. As a sophomore he threw for 3,000 yards with only 6 picks.

Of all the issues Wake has, Tanner is nowhere near the top of the list. Solid ACC QB who has been asked to do way too much for teams with gaping holes. I think some posters should review Riley's numbers before praising him while skewering Tanner.

God dammit. I hate it when I agree with you 100% on something.

I disagree. The reason we aren't going bowling is the fact the coaches wasted the first 4 games of the season running an offensive scheme that was probably the worst possible choice of schemes given our personnel. I have no doubt we'd have beaten ULM and I think we'd have probably beaten BC if was had run the offense we ran against against State, Maryland, and Miami. We could've easily been already been bowl eligible right now and playing with house money like Duke is. This team had the pieces to at least be a bowl team, unfortunately 1/3 of the season was spent trying to fit the pieces on offense into a hole that didn't fit.

we aren't going bowling because the closest we got to scoring against the CUSE was a blocked PAT. if our offensive scheme ("just get the ball to Camp.") had actually been working the first four games, you don't think our opponents would have figured that out? Camp would've been hurt earlier in the year, and we'd have lost to MD instead.

You realize that would mean schools turning down money and that just isn't going to happen.

what about the declining athletic attendance? isn't that the same thing? "turning down money" ? just cause you sell out in the books doesn't mean your bank account agrees with you

...and a month of extra practices as well.

extra practices don't count if you practice wrong.

Last edited:

The biggest numbers, 33 and 18 (with 3 games left). Wins with Riley under center vs. wins with Tanner under center.

However, I do agree Tanner is not even in the top 5 of our issues.

Yup. I basically agree too. I think Tanner is playing as a mediocre player when we need a standout. That is not Tanner's fault. He doesn't look like a qb who has started almost 4 seasons. That is definitely not his fault. I think if he played on a team with competent coaching he might actually be a standout in the league (also he would need to have some better players around him...not his fault...).

If you think about Riley, he came in as a freshman and played way above any expectations, and if I remember correctly, wasn't his best statistical year his first? At any rate, you get the idea with Riley that he just showed up and played great without much help from coaches. Tanner came in pretty highly touted, didn't immediately over-impress, and then was not coached up at all. In fact, our staff rebuilt the offense around Riley, while they changed it 5 times on Tanner, usually not in the direction that helped him.

if this is what DC meant by bigger problems, then I agree.

we aren't going bowling because the closest we got to scoring against the CUSE was a blocked PAT. if our offensive scheme ("just get the ball to Camp.") had actually been working the first four games, you don't think our opponents would have figured that out? Camp would've been hurt earlier in the year, and we'd have lost to MD instead.

extra practices don't count if you practice wrong.

Makes no sense. You don't think that teams were keying on Camp even when we were running the option offense? You don't think coming into the season all the teams we play weren't planning on keying on Camp before the season even began???? Teams have been trying to stop Camp the last 2 years, with little success.

Yup. I basically agree too. I think Tanner is playing as a mediocre player when we need a standout. That is not Tanner's fault. He doesn't look like a qb who has started almost 4 seasons. That is definitely not his fault. I think if he played on a team with competent coaching he might actually be a standout in the league (also he would need to have some better players around him...not his fault...).

If you think about Riley, he came in as a freshman and played way above any expectations, and if I remember correctly, wasn't his best statistical year his first? At any rate, you get the idea with Riley that he just showed up and played great without much help from coaches. Tanner came in pretty highly touted, didn't immediately over-impress, and then was not coached up at all. In fact, our staff changed the offense for Riley, while they changed it 5 times for Tanner, usually not in the direction that helped him.

if this is what DC meant by bigger problems, then I agree.

I think that pretty much nails it on the head, we don't develop QB's. Riley came in and far exceeded expectations and as we had success his confidence grew I think as opposed to him getting developed by the coaches.

You guys are killing Tanner.

First thing, Wake sucks as developing QBs. Back in the day when Jeff Mullen was coaching QBs we would have guys transfer out and start elsewhere. Second, In Tanner's 4 years here at Wake the run game has sucked. Week after week we all complain about our running game. A QB can't produce if the defense knows what the offense is going to do.

Saying all that, Tanner has played piss poor some games but it's not all on him.
A QB is only as good as the talent and coaching around him..

Blocking as a whole

Back