• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Adam Sandler's new movie flops

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

i hate this quote with a passion.

I guess i'm a Sandler apologist because I think a dozen of his movies are good to decent

1. The Wedding Singer
2. Billy Madison
3. Punch Drunk Love
4. 50 First Dates
5. Happy Gilmore
6. The Water Boy
7. Funny People
8. Big Daddy
9. Reign Over Me
10. Mr. Deeds
11. Spanglish
12. Grown Ups
13. Click

I agree with you and yes I know people dislike and are going to say of course, but Sandler has always been my favorite actor I see most movies he puts out. I want to go see this next weekend as I am a big Samberg fan as well.

How can you two be so wrong about everything?

Let me get this straight. You're saying that Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, and The Wedding Singer aren't comedy classics?

Not even close. They are moderately funny movies overall.

Let's put it this way. The Hangover Part 2 was better than all of them, and by a large margin. And before anybody says that Hangover 2 was just a rehash of the first Hangover, what Adam Sandler movie isn't a rehash of the last Adam Sandler movie?

A lot of it has to do with me finding that Sandler's schtick just isn't very funny over the course of an hour and a half, but I feel the same way about a lot of comics. Jim Carrey is fucking stupid, but he managed to make Dumb & Dumber a classic by not hogging up all the comedy moments and going all Carrey-crazy the entire time. Will Ferrell is a one trick pony like Sandler and Carrey are, but again he managed to make Anchorman a classic by sharing screen time and comedy bits with an ensemble cast.

Don't get me wrong. I'll watch Zohan or Wedding Singer and laugh, but it's hardly comedy gold. Sandler movies seem to have a governor on the funny bone...they're always in the 75-90% dumb and 10-25% funny range.

Lol here I was all poised to agree with ELC, and he uses Hangover 2 as his example. Dang it.

I wasn't one of the kids who was obsessed with Billy Madison or Happy Gilmore when I was growing up, probably because I didn't own either one of them til I was in high school, which definitely watered down how funny they were for me. They definitely have funny parts for their slapstick/dumbed down style, but they aren't really that funny on a whole movie scale for me. I thought Punch Drunk Love was pretty decent, as was Funny People, two of his flicks where he wasn't being his weird character that he plays in almost every movie with the weird voice and silly mannerisms. You know, where he played an actual human with some sort of moral/intellectual nuance. The better comedies in my mind don't have to be over-the-top silly to get laughs, though I know it works for a bigger demographic.

Anyway, Sandler has some funny stuff, but his overall schtick has never done it for me, and he has certainly made his fair share of god-awful tripe. Lowest common denominator type humor overall.

The Hangover is terrible. The Hangover 2 is the worst movie I've ever seen. Neither one is rewatchable at all. Conversely, many Adam Sandler movies are rewatchable and will continue to be for years.

To reiterate: THE HANGOVER SERIES NEEDS TO DIE!

The Hangover is terrible. The Hangover 2 is the worst movie I've ever seen. Neither one is rewatchable at all. Conversely, many Adam Sandler movies are rewatchable and will continue to be for years.

To reiterate: THE HANGOVER SERIES NEEDS TO DIE!

I've probably seen Happy Gilmore 100 times, and it's funny every time.

why? just because its overquoted? i think its really funny save for the fact that people quote it all the time.
i think it's funnier just to post the pic (mainly for the spouse is sleeping around category)
billy_madison_principal_no_points_mercy_soul_movie_image_01.jpg

The Wedding Singer is a good, hilarious movie. By far the Sand Man's best.

Will Ferrell is a one trick pony like Sandler and Carrey are, but again he managed to make Anchorman a classic by sharing screen time and comedy bits with an ensemble cast.

Will Ferrell and Adam Sandler are rumored to be making a movie together.

Looking at his IMDB page, Sandler's last good movie was Big Daddy.

Anger Management is mildly decent, but absolutely ridiculous. The Yankee stadium scene and bizarre cameos from Heather Graham and Woody Harrelson just kill that movie.

You can probably argue that 50 First Dates is okay, except its just a rehash of Wedding Singer, switching out Hawaii and amnesia for 80s nostalgia.

Everything he's made afterward is between atrocious and visual abortion.

Anger Management is mildly decent, but absolutely ridiculous. The Yankee stadium scene and bizarre cameos from Heather Graham and Woody Harrelson just kill that movie.

You can probably argue that 50 First Dates is okay, except its just a rehash of Wedding Singer, switching out Hawaii and amnesia for 80s nostalgia.

Don't think Funny People from 2009 was either atrocious or a visual abortion. To me, the best thing he's done since Punch-Drunk Love.

Don't think Funny People from 2009 was either atrocious or a visual abortion. To me, the best thing he's done since Punch-Drunk Love.

Which part of Funny People? The fairly funny and interesting first part or the depressing stalkerish second part. And I apologize for only breaking down a 2 1/2 hour movie into two parts because I saw it awhile ago.

Which part of Funny People? The fairly funny and interesting first part or the depressing stalkerish second part. And I apologize for only breaking down a 2 1/2 hour movie into two parts because I saw it awhile ago.

With PhDeac on this. What a weird flick.

Back