• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Advice for soccer noobs

If Miralles has anything to do with us losing today, my fandom will be re-open.

the problem with soccer becoming big is the revenue system for soccer. Not very conducive to big TV contracts like all the other 4 major american sports are (i.e. frequent play stoppages for commercials), thus it will be difficult for any soccer (outside of WC play) to get serious airtime in the US
(i haven't read this thread so sorry if I'm making a redundant post)
True, but it's growing. MLS attendance numbers are becoming on par with NBA/NHL, but I agree TV revenue is gonna be a problem unless one of the networks steps up.

bacon's post is why i wish american soccer would blow up. the nfl is terrible now.

also if you think the heat= manure youre an idiot. manure is the lakers (probs celts actually). heat are mancity.

bacon's post is why i wish american soccer would blow up. the nfl is terrible now.

Aren't you in San Francisco? The NFL is great there.

For an EPL noob - make a case against Everton. Tim Howard might be the Strawberry/Gooden/Darling that pulls me into fandom.

Yep. And Miralles and lukaku were probably the difference for Belgium today. Although I think lukaku was only on loan. Howard was extremely classy post game talking about lukaku

everton is a good team to root for. howard obviously. lleyton baines is a fun player to root for. they had lukaku who scored and assisted for belgium today but i think he is moving to chelsea. they are usually pretty good but not quite good enough to win the whole thing. roberto martinez their coach did some commentary for espn in the studio and seems like a cool guy.

If you saw a dead body, would your first inclination be to piss on it and go through the pockets looking for spare change? If the answer is yes, then your team is Liverpool.
If you are a Bills fan, a Wake fan, a Cubs fan, or you just enjoy self-torture, then boy do I have a team for you.

Do the major soccer leagues have a salary cap? I think I read somewhere recently that Ronaldo's salary last year was around $75MM, which is crazy even if a bunch of that is from endorsements. And don't clubs in Europe pay the taxes for the players?

How do trades work between leagues? Could a player be traded to anywhere in the word?

The biggest money difference I'm aware of between leagues is that in Spain each club gets to negotiate their own TV deal leaving Madrid and Barca with huge money and their competitors significantly less. I'm not aware of another top league that works this way. Most share the TV money equally. Clubs with massive attendance and merchandising still have big advantages over their league competitors but it's not like Spain.

As for soccer becoming a top three sport... I have no doubt it will happen. The demographic changes in this country will ensure it eventually.

Now for the OP'd club team. Go with West Brom (BPL). They are the only way to go.

yup. 4 hours of mershies with 10 mins of game play? sorry ill spend my sunday afternoons in the great outdoors like a real american.

Aren't iy an MLB fan?

"outside like a real american" = keeping stats watching america's most boring pasttime

yeah if only baseball were played outdoors and someone kept stats for you.

In America's Pastime, Baseball Players Pass A Lot of Time
The findings: 90% of the game is spent standing around.

In any given year, roughly 70 million people will attend major-league baseball games. A lucky handful will be treated to something unforgettable: a no-hitter, a walk-off grand slam, a player stealing home. Many more fans will see towering home runs, late-inning rallies and diving catches. But there is one thing every single fan who buys a ticket is 100% guaranteed to see: a bunch of grown men standing in a field, doing absolutely nothing.

By WSJ calculations, a baseball fan will see 17 minutes and 58 seconds of action over the course of a three-hour game. This is roughly the equivalent of a TED Talk, a Broadway intermission or the missing section of the Watergate tapes. A similar WSJ study on NFL games in January 2010 found that the average action time for a football game was 11 minutes. So MLB does pack more punch in a battle of the two biggest stop-and-start sports. By seven minutes.

cool dude. the ball is actually in play though and things are in fact happening. it's weird that when a dude says the reason footy wont take off in america is because it lacks commercial breaks nfl fans come in to tell us how great the nfl is.

Back