• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

After the Women's March: Forward

The irony of Donald wanting to make it easier to succeed in libel suits is that he's one of the most likely to be sued for making libelous/defamatory statements. The guy publicly lies, consistently, about people. You remove the public figure portion of the law or change the definition/requirement of malice to succeed, and you only increase the likelihood of him being sued.

The March for Science in DC was huge. Much bigger crowd than I was expecting despite a dreary rainy day.

11fc97611c5312925153cd99b636688e.jpg

95093b83fc3f2ac73bc96683fc77a352.jpg

f7953dd3bcd0cc934a2c1ce64ef92a96.jpg

cb355575b7d8396fc5e811136dff6fbe.jpg
e378c45764a618723ef0e3b35fa18790.jpg

The First 100 Days of Resistance Restored Our Faith in Democracy

But in a fight like this, success is only meaningful if it’s followed by more of the same. To continue to derail the Trump train, Americans must stay in the streets for events like the April 29 People’s Climate March. Democrats must answer the call of their base and run hard in red states like Kansas, Georgia, Nebraska, and Montana—putting in place a full-scale 50-state strategy for the 2018 midterms. These are the basics. No one should be distracted or deluded by “palace intrigue” gossip about the cabal of Goldman Sachs executives wrestling for influence with the cabal of Breitbart alumni. They have shared agendas: Bannon’s talk about the “deconstruction of the administrative state” was music to Wall Street’s ears. Democrats must press harder for investigations and oversight of those agendas—not just of ties between Trump aides and the Russian government, but of ties between Trump appointees and the corporate powers they are supposed to regulate.

I keep seeing articles on how Dems are having trouble finding torch bearers for the Trump era. I don't think that's a problem at all. I think the grassroots movement is working. It's not about liking a specific person. It's about Dems advocating for issues they're passionate about (women's rights, science) and opposing the Republicans and Trump in their efforts to work against them. I don't see the urgency to find new leaders in the party. That's what 2018 is for.

The nationally known Democrats do feel stale at the moment, but the new faces coming forward to run for office have been inspiring. Emily's List says they have heard from 11,000 women interested in running for office, compared to 900 in all of last year.

I agree with you, though, they don't need to find their 2020 presidential candidate now. Use the issues where they have popular support and the grassroots efforts to rebuild the #brand.

I do love that 78 year old Maxine Waters is having a moment, though.

As we see on these boards, Republicans have trouble letting go of Hillary because they need a Dem to vilify. No need for any Dems to step out nationally and be that Dem. Dems should focus on grassroots efforts in their states and districts. I'll even go a step further and say Nancy Pelosi could help out tremendously by announcing she'll step down as minority leader after the 2018 election.

As we see on these boards, Republicans have trouble letting go of Hillary because they need a Dem to vilify. No need for any Dems to step out nationally and be that Dem. Dems should focus on grassroots efforts in their states and districts. I'll even go a step further and say Nancy Pelosi could help out tremendously by announcing she'll step down as minority leader after the 2018 election.

Solid point

A libertarian believes government should strip voting rights from someone government thinks committed a crime?

Seems like a lot of power over individual liberty. Government bureaucrats can pick their own voters.

A libertarian believes government should strip voting rights from someone government thinks committed a crime?

Seems like a lot of power over individual liberty. Government bureaucrats can pick their own voters.

Where did a libertarian suggest that?

Yeah an authoritarian nut-slurper is against giving people who have served their time the right to vote.

Back