• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

C'mon folks. Let's review what we know …

Currie wants to remove DM, as much or more than any of us.
Currie wants to hire his own MBB HC. It's what he was hired to do.
He is hamstrung by that ridiculous buyout clause that the prior AD gave in an attempt to extend his own tenure. (top 3 MBB buyout $: Coach Cal, Bennett and DM … which one is not like the other two??)
DM will not negotiate a lower $ buyout. (why would he? he's not getting another HC job any time soon. not his fault the prior AD dumped gold in his lap while further undermining our once-proud MBB program)
Buyout $ of that magnitude are not (at the moment) available. The Gang of Four are not willing to pay for the prior AD's malfeasance. There is no other source (or it would have been tapped last year)
Things are moving slowly right now, in part because of the unprecedented worldwide situation and the related market fluctuations.
Currie's experience at Rocky Top are advising his approach to our coaching dilemma. Expect nothing to leak until he has something to announce. Silence may actually be our friend right now.

I choose to believe (hope?) that somehow we will have a new MBB HC long before the balls are rolled out for practice next season. Against all odds, we need to start turning this thing around now. Apathy is worse than anger and frustration. The video highlights of the '95 championship team brought back some great memories. At the same time, it was a bit surreal to see such outstanding hoops played by guys wearing WF. It has been way too long …

Tick Toc ...

Another "work' week begins, during which Currie will yet again fail to do the one piece of work he was brought on to do. Excuses, excuses, 11 months of failure accepted by the pussy, enabling Wake fanbase. We deserve our perpetual failure, as we are the only D-1 school in the country with a decade of standards this low and still going strong. Fuck you John Currie, you son of a motherless goat.

I guess I’m still foolishly clinging to the “if they were going to keep him why not announce it and get it over with? Therefore they are still working on it...” theory.

Why would Wellman think that the ridiculous buyout clause that he gave to Manning would extend his own tenure as AD? Someone please explain.

I think that if he wasn’t extended and then had a shit season (which he did) and it was obvious he needed to be fired they would want a new AD in to make the hire since Ron was nearing retirement. Something like that? I actually think it did buy Ron a couple years

I think that if he wasn’t extended and then had a shit season (which he did) and it was obvious he needed to be fired they would want a new AD in to make the hire since Ron was nearing retirement. Something like that? I actually think it did buy Ron a couple years

I agree with everything BabyDeac said with the exception of the part about the extension buying Wellman time. His contract was through the 2020 school year and he “retired” a year early. At the time of Manning’s extension he was totally on track to leave when the contract ended.

My read has always been that the extension was more about ego than anything else. He wanted to reverse the negative goodwill created by the Bz era and was desperate for Manning to succeed. So desperate he gave him a ridiculous extension as a way of showing that progress was being made and he had righted the ship. Fault obviously lies with Wellman for the extension and, if the rumored terms are accurate, with the administration for approving it.

Currie wants Manning gone, that’s as clear as day to me. Why 2&2, SC DEAC, big boy, and some of the other mouth breathers around here can’t see that is beyond me.

Because he has had 11 months to do it and hasn't done it. It was his only job to get done and he failed. So either he doesn't want him gone or is incompetent, and either one means he needs to gtfo as well.

Currie and Manning have had zero public acknowledgment that the other person even exists since the beginning of the BB season. I'd be willing to guess that any interaction between the two is either by letter/email with their respective attorneys copied, or if in person with attorneys present. Never say never, but personally I don't see any way Manning is back on the bench next season with Currie as AD.

You’d think but how does that get resolved aside from paying Manning his buyout during a crisis?

The most likely scenario is a lame duck year for Manning if there’s a season at all.

You’d think but how does that get resolved aside from paying Manning his buyout during a crisis?

The most likely scenario is a lame duck year for Manning if there’s a season at all.

Yeah, that's where I'm at right now. It sucks, but that's what we're stuck with.

Yeah, that's where I'm at right now. It sucks, but that's what we're stuck with.

And we can't assume a $12M buyout will be any easier to stomach a year from now.

Could be that once the crisis ends and business is moving again, people with money will show back up. The fact that almost no one is making moves means that there will be a window in May or June where something could happen. But if my net worth took a 40% haircut in 2 weeks, I guarantee you I'd be tightening up, even if the 60% that's left is over $100 million.

Could be that once the crisis ends and business is moving again, people with money will show back up. The fact that almost no one is making moves means that there will be a window in May or June where something could happen. But if my net worth took a 40% haircut in 2 weeks, I guarantee you I'd be tightening up, even if the 60% that's left is over $100 million.

I doubt it unless there is a definitive end to the crisis.

I agree with you, but I said COULD happen. That's our best hope.

At this point, I don't see any move until there is clarity about what will happen to the 2020-2021 season. If it is not played, Manning stays. He won't lose a game.

At this point, I don't see any move until there is clarity about what will happen to the 2020-2021 season. If it is not played, Manning stays. He won't lose a game.

I agree, nothing is going to happen until we have a better handle on the future of the sports seasons

I agree, nothing is going to happen until we have a better handle on the future of the sports seasons

Nothing will happen this year now. Everyone knows WF only fires coaches during the annual review on the Monday after the ACC tournament.

But seriously, I agree with Ph, I don't expect there to be any more stomach for a massive buyout next year either.

Although as I believe you mentioned before, hearing nothing is still better than announcing Manning is coming back —at least Currie leaves his options open.

No AD is going to fire anyone right now until they see whether there is a FB season and how impacted their revenues are going to be due to what we are going through right now.
If there is no fb season, or it is shortened, or fans aren't allowed to attend - there simply isn't going to be the money available to make any coaching changes. and probably not just this year.
Especially if it means a large buyout has to be payed. That just ties your hands.

Fans like to pretend that finances don't matter, but they matter more than just about anything.
Right now every AD knows they are going to take a financial hit. They don't know how big of hit it is going to be, and likely won't know that for months.
If FB season is seriously impacted than every University Athletic Association is going to be shook to their core. One AD in an article I read said if there is no FB season then who is going to bail out the AA's because every single one is going to need a bailout to survive.

Every AD that is fundraising basically has to start over by going back to every donor that has committed money (most of those are commitments, not money in hand) and find out how much of that commitment is still available.

Back