• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

As bad as the ACC is this year, Wake could very well be "competitive" enough that Manning stays another year. It's weird to see people on social media defend Danny and argue that he just needs more time.

He's twice as tall as [Redacted] so it takes twice as long to get up to speed. Its science.

I want to be optimistic but the evidence will not permit it. Nonetheless, some things seemed different on Saturday. Maybe it's just the fact that we won and that made almost everything seem different. However, DM seemed much more engaged and energetic in coaching the team. And the team played with more energy and effort on the defensive end of the court than I can remember since he has been here. There were still some bad mistakes; but there were more things right than wrong...particularly in terms of effort.

Just a theory but I wonder if DM sees this group as the most coachable team he has had and he, in turn, is giving more of himself to them? I have no idea if that is true. Perhaps it is just wishful thinking. But Xavier played tough, physical basketball and WF beat them. Whatever that means it was an unexpected experience and we did it without our best player over recent weeks.

Bless your heart

I want to be optimistic but the evidence will not permit it. Nonetheless, some things seemed different on Saturday. Maybe it's just the fact that we won and that made almost everything seem different. However, DM seemed much more engaged and energetic in coaching the team. And the team played with more energy and effort on the defensive end of the court than I can remember since he has been here. There were still some bad mistakes; but there were more things right than wrong...particularly in terms of effort.

Just a theory but I wonder if DM sees this group as the most coachable team he has had and he, in turn, is giving more of himself to them? I have no idea if that is true. Perhaps it is just wishful thinking. But Xavier played tough, physical basketball and WF beat them. Whatever that means it was an unexpected experience and we did it without our best player over recent weeks.

Man, i hope not... if our basketball coach needs counseling or some reason to be able to give more of himself to his team, we are in deeper problems than i thought.

Bringing this back to the top for what looks like about a 50-50 chance this SOB should get tarred and feathered in the next few days.

BTTT. Fuck you, you ineffective, empty suit, sack of shit. There is zero reason why Manning should not have been fired last night. Zero. Grow some balls and do it today. Every minute that goes by cements your incompetence.

BTTT. Fuck you, you ineffective, empty suit, sack of shit. There is zero reason why Manning should not have been fired last night. Zero. Grow some balls and do it today. Every minute that goes by cements your incompetence.

The ACC frowns on personnel moves that upstage the tournament. The window for firings opens Monday morning. The day after the tournament seedings are done.

Don't dump on Currie until the window closes in April and nothing has happened. He was put into a bind by his predecessor. Dump on him.

We need to dump on Currie, hes been on the job 1 year.

Other than being better at Twitter than Wellman, Currie hasn't shown us anything to prevent a dumping. Hopefully he's working behind the scenes to make the right move, but I'm not confident.

We need to dump on Currie, hes been on the job 1 year.

Incorrect. He officially has been on the job just over 10 months. His first good window for basketball coaching change opens Monday.

The ACC frowns on personnel moves that upstage the tournament. The window for firings opens Monday morning. The day after the tournament seedings are done.

Don't dump on Currie until the window closes in April and nothing has happened. He was put into a bind by his predecessor. Dump on him.

Screw the ACC, they are happy to have LOWF stay in the cellar, Wake you get nothing and like it. There is no reason to wait five more minutes, unless Wake comes out and says we have no money to get a new coach. They should have said it last year. If there is no money to get a new coach then Manning becomes the towel guy and let a student coach. The team that played yesterday is poorly coached. If they are firing him, they should have done it already.

So Currie pays more respect to the ACC, who couldn't give a damn about us, than to his own alumni and whatever few fans remain? That is just another reason to tell him to fuck off. He shows respect to Manning, he shows respect to Wellman, he shows respect to the ACC, he shows respect to every goddamn motherfucking third party EXCEPT the people he is actually supposed to respect the most. Fuck. That. Bullshit. You know who needs to respect? Us. That is it. Us. We have been the ones shit on for the last decade. Not Manning, not Wellman, not Hatch, and certainly not the ACC. He needs to grow some goddamn fucking balls and do what he was hired to do, today. Not tomorrow, not next week, not in fucking April - today. Or he is no better than Ron Wellman and can go crash his bike right alongside him.

Screw the ACC, they are happy to have LOWF stay in the cellar, Wake you get nothing and like it. There is no reason to wait five more minutes, unless Wake comes out and says we have no money to get a new coach. They should have said it last year. If there is no money to get a new coach then Manning becomes the towel guy and let a student coach. The team that played yesterday is poorly coached. If they are firing him, they should have done it already.

Doing the firing sooner might make people feel good. The much more important part is getting the next hire right. We have seen what happens with poor hires.

Firing the current coach is the first step in getting the right next coach. It has to be done at the right time.

Bringing this back to the top for what looks like about a 50-50 chance this SOB should get tarred and feathered in the next few days.

50-50 chance? What are you basing that on?
Considering you started this thread in May, 6 days after Currie was hired, not really expecting a rational answer. Hoping you will surprise me though.

50-50 chance? What are you basing that on?
Considering you started this thread in May, 6 days after Currie was hired, not really expecting a rational answer. Hoping you will surprise me though.

Personally, I don't think that Manning should have been allowed to coach this year, Currie should have fired him his first day on the job. So Currie can bite my bag for wasting another year.

That said, I understand the line of thinking regarding timing of finding a replacement, even though I vehemently disagree with it. I heard from a fairly reliable source a few weeks before Christmas that the buyout money had been raised at that time and Currie had the green light to axe him when he saw fit. So I am holding out hope that it will happen. However, the fact that he didn't fire him immediately after the game, and instead allowed him to run his mouth to the press about why he should be back, casts further doubt as to Currie's competence. Again, there is absolutely no reason why he should not be fired by now. And no, the ACC "frowning upon" doing it during the tournament is not a valid reason at this point.

It's not like he's pregnant or something. Am I right ?

Thanks 2&2. Agree about the frowning upon part. Who cares. I think Manning is gone; just a question of how many days.
I am all about timing and whatever puts us in the position to get the best hire. If he canned Manning this morning, and we still didn't have a coach 2 weeks later, that would be bad. And we would be freaking the fuck out. I think a quick turnaround from fire to hire is best. And not just because I hope we keep guys like Sarr and Chaundee, etc.
Hopefully it's Beilein or Matta, and all of this can be wrapped up in the next 7-8 days. If it's Forbes, Smart, etc, we will have to wait a little longer.

I disagree about the timing, I think having no coach for a few weeks or even a month is exponentially better than having Manning for any more time. And I personally don't care about the current players. I've watched them play in maybe 5 games in however many years they have been here, I have no more attachment to them than someone on the tennis or cross country team. If they want to leave because they are attached to a loser and get nervous while we hopefully look for a decent coach, so be it.

I am in a wait and see on Currie. I may take some heat here but I don't see how he could have fired DM without having another coach ready to take over. Also by waiting a year it removes Wellman for getting any credit for the for the decision to let DM go. Obviously the buyout was also a factor. With a year under his belt he has had time to think which coaches may be available. It also removes Wellman from getting any credit for having anything to do with letting Manning go. Of course it all depends at this point what he decides to do. If he does nothing, then I'll agree it's business as usual in the athletic office.

Back