• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

any report on the luncheon today?

the master of the one word response! I assume it was chicken!

There were tweets every few minutes for the first hour from @CoachZStone. His thumbs must have gotten tired because he disappeared after that. I'm thinking the $2 million dollar donation from Mr. Fox may have distracted him. What a nice gift!

It was a great talk. The place was sold out, totally full. He got a standing ovation walking to the podium, crowd was really excited.

Clawson mentioned his recruiting strategy - they wanted to get recommits and then go after high-caliber recruits who had a change in coaching (either recruiting coach, position coach, or HC) because it means they would be on a more level playing field relationship-wise. I felt like he had a very clear recruiting strategy for a limited time period and he executed it well. Gave a special shout out to the donors who loaned planes, the professors who toured with recruits on weekends, the GAs who do all the work behind the scenes, and the coaches wives who sat down to dinners with the kids and their families.

He mentioned they wanted to go in and get a player at every position that they felt fit their system - he felt they were very successful there. When asked about redshirting, he said in a normal year he'd want to redshirt 50-75% of the freshmen coming in. But he had spent the whole month recruiting and hasn't had a chance to fully evaluate the current guys, so this year he won't know for sure until a couple weeks before the season starts. Mentioned that he's not going to play a kid if he'll only see the field on special teams and 3rd string - they need to be getting ~40 snaps a game if they aren't going to shirt. Each of the assistants talked about guys they recruited, and the position coaches seemed pretty excited about the guys coming in.

He had a couple good zingers that cracked the room up. Also mentioned how recruiting at Wake was a huge advantage - if the kid is looking for great academics and BCS football, Wake is the place to be - he said because we're one of the smallest BCS schools in the country no other school can provide the same 1-on-1 attention in the classroom, and that's a huge advantage for us.

Interesting note that 22 of the commits were captains on their high school teams, the coaches mentioned that a couple of times. He ended by saying the best recruiting advantage we have is to pack the house every game and told everyone to buy season tickets for all of their friends on the way out.

IHe ended by saying the best recruiting advantage we have is to pack the house every game and told everyone to buy season tickets for all of their friends on the way out.

Did anyone tell him that PH says that the coaches have to deliver results before the fans should be expected to show up?

Did anyone tell him that PH says that the coaches have to deliver results before the fans should be expected to show up?

I think he knows that winning at ULM will boost attendance for WCU.

Is it correct that Duke begins spring practice next week?

I read that somewhere; but surely that cannot be right.

Is it correct that Duke begins spring practice next week?

I read that somewhere; but surely that cannot be right.

On last night's local news about Duke recruiting, Coach Cut. mentioned in a passing comment of having 30 seconds to enjoy the signing day, that spring practice was to start next week. Surprised me too.

Duke always starts in Feb. and are finished by spring break.

Back