• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

any report on the luncheon today?

Nice move by the AD to put this up on YouTube. Watching now.

Hey, he mentioned two tightend sets! I didn't know it was still legal to throw to the TE in college football. Interesting.

A few things stood out.

I thought it was hilarious that the crowd clapped when Clawson said we wouldn't be using academics and such as an excuse in response to the question about the David Shaw quote. No question many of them used that excuse for Grobe.

Clawson said ideally he likes to redshirt 50-75% of his players. Seems to suggest more than half of these guys will be playing, probably one at every position.

The player intros were nice, especially considering several hadn't committed yet. The editing for the video could have been better though.

I'm curious how much Clawson has scouted the current players. His comments seem to suggest he hasn't at all. Maybe he's putting them through the new S&C, getting to know them personally, and then putting them through Spring practice before making any major decisions. That said, didn't he already move a few players to new positions?

Yea I thought it was interesting that apparently he knew enough to come in and move Orville back to RB from WR and to try DB James Ward out at RB. He must have done some scouting.

It might be true, but I don't like him saying some of his ex-players stunk.

Yea I thought it was interesting that apparently he knew enough to come in and move Orville back to RB from WR and to try DB James Ward out at RB. He must have done some scouting.

Gibson is still at rb right?

A few things stood out.

I thought it was hilarious that the crowd clapped when Clawson said we wouldn't be using academics and such as an excuse in response to the question about the David Shaw quote. No question many of them used that excuse for Grobe.

Clawson said ideally he likes to redshirt 50-75% of his players. Seems to suggest more than half of these guys will be playing, probably one at every position.

The player intros were nice, especially considering several hadn't committed yet. The editing for the video could have been better though.

I'm curious how much Clawson has scouted the current players. His comments seem to suggest he hasn't at all. Maybe he's putting them through the new S&C, getting to know them personally, and then putting them through Spring practice before making any major decisions. That said, didn't he already move a few players to new positions?

If he likes to redshirt 50 - 75% of his players, then some number between 6 and 12 would be the most likely number of true freshmen to play this year. E.J. Scott will play for sure - somewhere. The three frosh early enrollees look like redshirt candidates. There were quite a number of true freshmen who played in 2013. There were also a number of seniors who just finished their eligibility who need to be replaced. Some of the positions had no obvious replacement. Those are the spots I would look for the new signees to compete for playing time.

It might be true, but I don't like him saying some of his ex-players stunk.

That was shockingly frank, even more so than his similar statements in the signing day press conference. I think he could make the same point by just saying it's good to cover all your positions in recruiting with the uncertainty surrounding a coaching change. He may have made that point clear to discourage the Lectros in the crowd from getting in his ear hyping up players.

If he likes to redshirt 50 - 75% of his players, then some number between 6 and 12 would be the most likely number of true freshmen to play this year. E.J. Scott will play for sure - somewhere. The three frosh early enrollees look like redshirt candidates. There were quite a number of true freshmen who played in 2013. There were also a number of seniors who just finished their eligibility who need to be replaced. Some of the positions had no obvious replacement. Those are the spots I would look for the new signees to compete for playing time.

Agreed. I also think the player who verballed after he was hired are more likely to play this year as well.

I also liked that he said it would be good to have some players who only play for 3 years because that means we're signing really talented players.

Interesting that he bristled at the question about religion during the welcome Q&A but mentioned specifically the Wake chaplain being involved in the recruiting process during the luncheon. Showing a lot of refinement. I like it.

Dude is a cyborg.

Did somebody say cyborg?

2a7t0cx.jpg

Uter could be our Vernon Davis or Desmond Clark. I think there's no question he plays right away.

The last staff was very high on christian morals, this staff just seems to want to whoop ass.

I liked the comment about it being unfair to the juniors and seniors to red shirt a player who could help the team win immediately. It always troubled me that we appeared willing to sacrifice the opportunity to win more games immediately in order to build a future team. Is that fair to the upperclassmen?

The last staff was very high on christian morals, this staff just seems to want to whoop ass.

I think this staff appears to understand IT IS BEING WELL PAID to win football games. That's refreshing.

Back