• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

any report on the luncheon today?

Can we all just agree that they'll all be open, unless they aren't?

I thought it was the opposite. They would mostly be closed, but would occasionally be open.

I don't remember his exact phrasing, but I thought I heard mostly open with occasional closes. You could be right though.

Regarding red-shirting, I think the physical/size component is more significant than the level of skill a true freshman possesses. It is rare that a kid right out of high school is physically developed to the extent that he can compete against players who are just one or two steps away from the NFL. The strength programs in college along with the natural growth and development of 18-22 yr. olds would dictate that most recruits should red-shirt. Of course there are exceptions but they truly are exceptions.

Regarding red-shirting, I think the physical/size component is more significant than the level of skill a true freshman possesses. It is rare that a kid right out of high school is physically developed to the extent that he can compete against players who are just one or two steps away from the NFL. The strength programs in college along with the natural growth and development of 18-22 yr. olds would dictate that most recruits should red-shirt. Of course there are exceptions but they truly are exceptions.

Right. Most, if not all of this 2014 class could play right away from a skill standpoint, but the redshirt allows some guys to develop physically without wasting a year of eligibility.

Right. Most, if not all of this 2014 class could play right away from a skill standpoint, but the redshirt allows some guys to develop physically without wasting a year of eligibility.

That's not really true. Most players need some time to develop the skills necessary to compete in college. Receivers need time to understand the playbook and perfect routes that usually aren't run in high school. DBs need time to perfect coverage techniques other than cover-2, cover-3, and man. DLs have to work on improving hand placement and technique. The list goes on.

That's not really true. Most players need some time to develop the skills necessary to compete in college. Receivers need time to understand the playbook and perfect routes that usually aren't run in high school. DBs need time to perfect coverage techniques other than cover-2, cover-3, and man. DLs have to work on improving hand placement and technique. The list goes on.

I heard one of the college coaches say the same thing on the radio on signing day - basically that with weight training and personal trainers, most kids now come in physically ready to play. It was the mental part that the needed time to develop. I think it was stoops at OK.

Stoops gets a different kind of kid than us. We get some kids physically ready to play. I remember Joe Looney in the weight room and he was deff one. But a lot of the time I could just eyeball an incoming freshman and think of areas that needed development. Every kid is different. For some that year or two of development from 18 to 19/20 is huge.

Back