• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

any report on the luncheon today?

Yeah that was well stated by Clawson. That said, I can only think of a few players who would have really helped and were redshirted.

Presumably Clawson has criteria for expected contribution of true freshmen in order to justify burning the shirt. Probably doesn't want to waste a year for a few plays, but rather would expect solid contribution throughout the season.

Presumably Clawson has criteria for expected contribution of true freshmen in order to justify burning the shirt. Probably doesn't want to waste a year for a few plays, but rather would expect solid contribution throughout the season.

I think he's said he'd want them to be able to play more than 40 or So plays to burn the shirt and not just for ST

I think he's said he'd want them to be able to play more than 40 or So plays to burn the shirt and not just for ST

Grobe's criterion was the position assistant coach had to plan on using the freshman for 40% of the snaps on his side of the ball, not including special teams to justify burning the shirt. Sounds like Clawson is at about the same place.

Grobe's criterion was the position assistant coach had to plan on using the freshman for 40% of the snaps on his side of the ball, not including special teams to justify burning the shirt. Sounds like Clawson is at about the same place.

Yet Grobe saw pulling a shirt as extremely rare, but we're hearing 25-50% of shirts pulled from Clawson. Sounds like Clawson thinks more of his recruits than Grobe did.

It may be more of a case of Grobe overrating experience.

Not to mention 20-30% of the players red shirted under Grobe never reached or appreciably played that 5th year.

Interesting that he bristled at the question about religion during the welcome Q&A but mentioned specifically the Wake chaplain being involved in the recruiting process during the luncheon. Showing a lot of refinement. I like it.

Joe Haynes is a really great guy, and he probably realizes that he's definitely an asset to the program. That may not be Clawson's cup of tea, but Joe is a great guy to have around to fulfill that need for players.

Joe Haynes is a really great guy, and he probably realizes that he's definitely an asset to the program. That may not be Clawson's cup of tea, but Joe is a great guy to have around to fulfill that need for players.

I didn't get the idea that clawson is anti-religion our anything like that. He just said he has his faith and that wasn't something he'd push on his players. I figure he'd encourage it in players that have a faith but create an atmosphere that's not uncomfortable for those that don't

I didn't get the idea that clawson is anti-religion our anything like that. He just said he has his faith and that wasn't something he'd push on his players. I figure he'd encourage it in players that have a faith but create an atmosphere that's not uncomfortable for those that don't

That's not what I meant. Being a faith leader doesn't seem to be his cup of tea. Grobe, as I saw it, did see that as a HC responsibility. I'm sure some would know a lot more than me, but he seemed much more public.

Some random impressions from the Luncheon:

The production value of the highlight packages was pretty high. Well done!
The execution was a bit sloppy and disjointed. Obviously, they didn't have a whole lot of time to do a proper run through.
The coaches were all wearing civvies. Even Jackson and Belin. Seemed like a mandate from Clawson.
Clawson described Ruggiero as a "creative play caller".
Elko was impressive. Tabbaca was even more impressive.
Clawson told me that they rejected a commitment because they didn't like the way the kid acted on the Official.

Some random impressions from the Luncheon:

The production value of the highlight packages was pretty high. Well done!
The execution was a bit sloppy and disjointed. Obviously, they didn't have a whole lot of time to do a proper run through.
The coaches were all wearing civvies. Even Jackson and Belin. Seemed like a mandate from Clawson.
Clawson described Ruggiero as a "creative play caller".
Elko was impressive. Tabbaca was even more impressive.
Clawson told me that they rejected a commitment because they didn't like the way the kid acted on the Official.

Thibodeac?

The last staff was very high on christian morals, this staff just seems to want to whoop ass.

So Christians don't want to destroy their opponent? Good to know. Guess I have to change my coaching philosophy.

Thibodeac?

Seems like a good guess. Or Gates? DC said the kid was just not engaged. Wouldn't look people in the eyes. That sort of thing. They just didn't think he would be a good fit.

Seems like a good guess. Or Gates? DC said the kid was just not engaged. Wouldn't look people in the eyes. That sort of thing. They just didn't think he would be a good fit.

Probably wasn't engaged because he knew he was headed to Ole Miss anyway. No harm. Good effort by the staff to get him there.

Really enjoyed the recruiting luncheon video. Thought that all the coaches did a good job. Especially liked how Clawson gave each of them some of the spotlight so that everyone could get to know them a little better. As a former assistant it was always nice when the head coach gave you some public recognition...made you work a little harder when you knew you were appreciated enough to be put in the public eye. Clawson sure seems like the real deal.

Coach Claw is just flat out true class and the real deal. He's smooth and he is a closer. I am pumped about the new energy of the program.

If they visit, they will come...

Back