• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Assistant Coaches - Belin and Jackson retained, Cohen hired for DL

The kid would have to sit out a year too. I just don't see how it is likely at all.

But a true frosh who played wouldn't lose any eligibility.

I thought the school wouldn't take anyone who didn't qualify out of HS? That was the reason for not taking JUCOs. I guess Hazim was accepted into grad school. That's why he came from Toledo for that one year.

I thought the school wouldn't take anyone who didn't qualify out of HS? That was the reason for not taking JUCOs. I guess Hazim was accepted into grad school. That's why he came from Toledo for that one year.

He may have also qualified out of HS

He may have also qualified out of HS

http://www.wvusports.com/staffDirectory.cfm?func=view&staffID=2337

First year at WVU (OL) after two years at Stanford (T/TE) and several at Harvard (OL).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...crook-is-perfect-fit-for-o-line-coach-vacancy
Article from Feb on why Crook would be a good fit for WVU.

Looks like a heck of a pick up. Go get 'em, Claw.

---------------------
As the offensive line coach at Harvard, Crook's group paved the way for Crimson running back Clifton Dawson, who finished his career as the all-time leading rusher in Ivy League history. Also during his tenure in Cambridge, Crook coached All-American tackle James Williams and numerous All-Ivy League linemen.

Crook could make a great positive impact on the West Virginia pass blocking, as well. His line protected current Buffalo Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick at Harvard and Heisman Trophy finalist Andrew Luck at Stanford.

Of course, Crook's legacy at Stanford doesn't end at Luck. While serving as the coach of tight ends and offensive tackles for the past two seasons, he led a trio of tight ends into stardom: Coby Fleener (currently with Luck and the Indianapolis Colts), along with Zach Ertz and Levine Toilolo.

Geoff Coyle of WV Illustrated caught up with Ertz and Toilolo in Indianapolis on Thursday as the duo prepared for the NFL combine. Both had a lot to say about Crook, his accomplishments and how much he'll add to the WVU program.

"If he gets the job at West Virginia, they're going to have a hell of an offensive line coach," Ertz told Coyle. "Ron Crook's a great coach. I can't say enough good things about Coach Crook. He demands the most out of his players, he demands respect and I think that goes a long way in the game."
"I've been able to be coached by him the past two years sand I think the way he approaches the game on and off the field, just as the person he is and the knowledge he has, he'll be very successful and they'll be lucky to have him," Toilolo told Coyle.

Any coach that is loved this much by his players has to be considered a great addition. Ertz also went on to highlight the fact that Crook worked with All-American tackles David Yankey and Jonathan Martin.

Last edited:
Wonder what connection Clawson has with Cook? Doubt that it was an out of the blue type call.

I wonder if he'll coach the TE/OT and Himey will coach the C/G? It's nice that someone will notice the TEs at least. Our OL can use all the help it could get.

You don't need a connection to hire somebody.

I think his 10 seasons at Harvard and Stanford would be attractive to a guy building a staff looking to play elite football at an elite academic institution. Didn't have a single losing season at Harvard (mostly 8-10 wins) and won 3 conference championships. Obviously 2011 and 2012 were great years at Stanford with a conference championship and two BCS bowls. This was his first losing season as a D-1 full-time assistant. Maybe he's looking to get back on track. Looks real good on paper.

Three NFL TEs in 2 years. He didn't bring them in but he got them ready to get drafted. I'm guessing he's just the OL coach since Scheier coached TEs at BG.

"Wake Forest: Keep an eye on West Virginia offensive line coach Ron Crook. A source tells CoachingSearch that Wake Forest head coach Dave Clawson offered the offensive line job to Crook. A different source tells CoachingSearch that Clawson also talked with former Rutgers offensive line coach Damian Wroblewski."

I think Crooks background would make him a great fit here.

The Rutgers guy would help with recruiting in New Jersey. I know we're trying to flip some their lineman commits.

Wroblewski was the OL coach in Ruggiero's last two seasons as OC at Hofstra.

It would be very encouraging if we get the WVU guy. Means we're spending money. How often have we had assistants leave BCS programs for Wake?

Of course Holgerson's job security, or lack thereof, would likely be at play in the decision, but still.

Casstevens would love to have another Crook on staff, amirite?

really though, Crook sounds like he would be a solid addition.

For a position coach it is true that joining the Wake staff right now would be about as good as it gets at the BCS level in terms of job security. You know Clawson will be given many years and Clawson staffs have had a lot of continuity historically.

Back