• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Assistant Coaches - Belin and Jackson retained, Cohen hired for DL

I've heard that Jackson is a good coach in terms of recruiting.

Glad to see both Belin and Jackson remaining. Two really great guys - Warren was in my orientation group at Wake and oddly enough, Jackson was in my sales training class at IBM before he got into coaching.

So far the only ones listed on the official Wake site are the Assistant Head Coach (Higgins) and the two coordinators - Elko and Ruggerio. The announcement making the two coordinators officially Wake coaches was Dec 30.

It is somewhat surprising that there haven't been more official announcements now that BG has played its bowl game. Would have thought he would get his other assistants on board officially so they can be tweeting and texting as allowed during the "dead period" and most importantly, looking at video to see who else they want to try to pull in at the last minute.

WF's official website also lists Kevin Higgins as "assistant head coach", and it was previously reported that special teams coach Adam Scheier is on board. Would guess that his assigned position group will depend on other hires.

So, with the Belin and Jackson returning and the 3 assistants already on staff plus Scheier, WF now has the following staff:

OC: Ruggiero (was also QB coach at BG)
DC: Elko (was also safeties coach)
STC: Sheier (was also TE's coach)
Assistants: Belin (would guess LBs), Jackson (would guess CBs) and Higgins (would guess WR coach; that is what he coached in NFL). This leaves an OL, DL and RB coach to be hired.

Unless the rules have changed, FBS schools are allowed 9 full-time assistant coaches and 2 grad assistants. So, with 6 in the fold, we have 3 coaching hires left.

Good breakdown, Pilch.

I think the ND State guy said to be a possibility is a RB coach.

I didn't realize there were so many damn coaches. How much does an OL and RB and Safeties coach frickin make in salary?

I believe the West Virginia O-Line coach turned us down, so I'd anticipate Himey has a decent shot at being retained.

Hunter is a BGSU grad and was retained from the prior staff when Clawson took over.

John Hunter the RB coach at Bowling Green will be the RB coach.

OK, that leaves two. Hunter played at BG; graduated in 1988. Coached HS football in Detroit for 6 years, and then joined the BG staff in 2006 (he was there before Clawson).

Yes. I posted that information in response to your post as background information.

Nice resume. Head coaching experience, a natty at Delaware, and a DC at Rutgers. And undoubtedly some northeast and mid-Atlantic inroads.

Nice resume. Head coaching experience, a natty at Delaware, and a DC at Rutgers. And undoubtedly some northeast and mid-Atlantic inroads.

Also a little bit of controversy. This is from a nj.com article after Rutgers fired Cohen is December:

Coehn, 46, was let go -- ironically -- after what may have been Rutgers' best defensive performance of the season in a 31-6 victory over USF Saturday night. But the defense allowed 4,872 yards this season, the third-most in school history, and shattered the record for most passing yards allowed in a season.

Cohen was also embroiled in the controversy involving cornerback JevonTyree, who charged he was bullied and felt physically threatened by Cohen, whom he claimed also used inappropriate language in his dealings with him.

Those charges are currently being investigated by the school.

It was released today that the probe into the allegedly bullying will end in about two weeks.
http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/Coll...-bullying-due-to-end-soon/UPI-31721388689305/

Clawson must feel comfortable that what will come out in that probe won't blow up in his face.

Tyree's side of the incident:
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...ve_cohen_bullied_and_verbally_abused_him.html

Defensive back Jevon Tyree and his parents, Mark and Clarice, have sought disciplinary action against defensive coordinator Dave Cohen, who during a spring study hall session, got in Tyree's face, called him a "pussy" and a "bitch" and threatened to head-butt him, the Tyrees told NJ.com.

The incident -- which Jevon Tyree said occurred in April with the Rice fallout still fresh -- happened in front of approximately 10 teammates and a tutor, Jevon Tyree said, and it led to the 19-year-old's escalating ostracization, eventually driving him to quit.

Clarice Tyree called it "an outright bullying episode," and Mark Tyree said the behavior soon "transferred to the other coaches." Jevon Tyree, a redshirt freshman on scholarship, said that after the frightening incident, his standing on the team plummeted, along with practice repetitions and any shot at playing time. He said there were team meetings from which he was excluded.

Tyree is convinced the problems began early in spring practice when he pulled a hamstring running a 40-yard dash. The cornerback believes the injury made a bad first impression with Cohen, who was promoted to defensive coordinator in February after spending his first season at Rutgers as linebackers coach.

"I injured my hamstring pretty bad -- popped it -- so I was out for almost a week," Tyree said. "I don't know if (Cohen) was thinking I was trying to avoid taking reps or I was faking or what, but later on that kind of led to Coach Cohen having derogatory words toward me as a player. I was a little confused because it was our first time actually interacting with each other."

Tyree said Cohen was demeaning from the outset, comparing his skills to those of a Div. 3 player. The situation exploded during the study hall session, when Tyree said harmless banter about haircuts quickly escalated when Cohen "went off."

"He was just trying to really make me feel as if I was soft," Tyree said. "He got all up in my face. Coach Cohen has a lisp, so he was in my face telling me he'll head-butt me, and he was kind of spitting in my face as he was saying it. I was just pulling my head back, looking at him like, 'Is this guy out of his mind? Is he crazy?' "

Last edited:
Back