• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Assistant Coaches - Belin and Jackson retained, Cohen hired for DL

Edited to correct: Oops my bad. misread D-line for O-line.

Last edited:
Kinda feel bad for Hime. He stayed on and seemed to be working the recruits pretty hard after everyone else left. Now he has to go find a job a lot later in the spin cycle, when it will be somewhat more difficult, because many positions have been filled. Best of luck to him landing a new job.

How do you know Himey is out?

I'm guessing there dozens of excellent, hard nosed DL coaches who don't have pending harassment probes.

I'm guess quite a few of them might have a pending harrassment suit against them if they had coached this particular player, at least from what we've heard about the story so far.

As for all of the discussion about the culture war and Wellman, how much more evidence do we need (besides multiple insiders confirming it and none of the story actually lining up or making sense) that that culture war was a made up, bullshit cover story to try to explain away the awful, awful results Buzz has produced at Wake?

Hell, [Redacted], Mr. Culture himself, hired Abatemarco as an assistant coach.
Tom Abatemarco resigned as the coach of Drake yesterday and an assistant coach, Tom Butler, was dismissed after an investigation found mistreatment of players and violations of National Collegiate Athletic Association rules. Michael Ferrari, the Drake president, said at a news conference that a university committee concluded that Abatemarco knew nothing of the N.C.A.A. violations but that he used language and engaged in conduct demeaning to players, assistant coaches and trainers

Last edited:
Did I miss this (the 4-2-5) somewhere? With as many teams running a spread (or some variation) offense, I think it makes sense to have some type of Nickel package as your base (though personally I prefer a 3-3-5). One of my biggest frustrations with Knorr's scheme was so often being caught with 4 DBs vs 3 or 4 wr and being forced to just drop LBs into zone and hope that would work.

I forget where it was originally posted. I like it too. We can talk all day about how hard it is to recruit size but DL at Wake over the last 20 years has been far stronger than LB.

Did I miss this (the 4-2-5) somewhere? With as many teams running a spread (or some variation) offense, I think it makes sense to have some type of Nickel package as your base (though personally I prefer a 3-3-5). One of my biggest frustrations with Knorr's scheme was so often being caught with 4 DBs vs 3 or 4 wr and being forced to just drop LBs into zone and hope that would work.

I saw it posted this morning in the Journal (might have been MTOW)?

We always seem to have "young talent" at LB and then after 4 years, they didn't have much of an impact. Justin Jackson is the latest example.

Agree we'll probably see a rover, kinda like how Grobe and Hood used Caron Bracy in the 3-3-5. It will depend who the match ups. Would have loved to see a guy like Chip Vaughn in that rover role.

I do think Lance Virgile is going to be a very good linebacker for us. I was pretty surprised that he didn't play as a true freshman.

Pretty sure Clawson mentioned this at his first press conference. Said we would be a multiple defense but that would be his preference for the base.

True. But to answer your question, this is Clawsons guy. And it appears that Wellman has placed full trust in who Clawson hires. So if Clawson hires him, he believes in his coaching ability, and that he won't be an issue like he has previously been.

Besides Clawson's past relationship with him, this guy is a former head coach that has spent the majority of his career in an area we want to establish a major recruiting presence.

I'm guess quite a few of them might have a pending harrassment suit against them if they had coached this particular player, at least from what we've heard about the story so far.

As for all of the discussion about the culture war and Wellman, how much more evidence do we need (besides multiple insiders confirming it and none of the story actually lining up or making sense) that that culture war was a made up, bullshit cover story to try to explain away the awful, awful results Buzz has produced at Wake?

[/SIZE]

Is this coach good enough and impactful enough to counter backlash we might get? We're not talking about an offensive or defensive genius, or a recruiter who will be a difference maker. I guess that's my concern. Do his benefits outweigh the bad press?

Really don't believe there will be much if any bad press over the hire of a position coach at Wake Forest.

[/SIZE]

FWIW, Wellman wouldn't let [Redacted] hire Abatemarco at Wake.

Really don't believe there will be much if any bad press over the hire of a position coach at Wake Forest.

Maybe not, but if a kid gets contacted by a guy and their parents google him, they may not like what they see. Weird to make this hire before the probe comes out. Our side must be confident nothing will come out of it.

Maybe not, but if a kid gets contacted by a guy and their parents google him, they may not like what they see. Weird to make this hire before the probe comes out. Our side must be confident nothing will come out of it.

Exactly

Looking at the BG depth chart, they do use a Rover (and also call the FS/SS the Whip and Stud, and one of the two LBs the Buck). Will be interesting to see who ends up as the Rover for us, as most other def positions seem reasonably set, but there is not a natural fit for Rover in the current secondary.

This is all subject to change given the new staff etc, but imagine the DL will be some combo of Floyd/Tylor/Looney/Banks/Levinson, Two LBs will be Chubb and one of the Lee/Virgile/Matthews group (maybe Jaboree Williams gets a shot as well), and secondary is Noel/KJ/Wooding/Janvion. At Rover, imagine could move one of the young LBs there or give Cameron Glenn a shot.

FWIW, Wellman wouldn't let [Redacted] hire Abatemarco at Wake.

Yeah, but is that because Wellmen has cultural issues with him or because Wellman already had his staff picked out? Wellman wanted a puppet and he got one.

Whether Wellmen rejected him for cultural issues or not, the fact that he brought in Buzz to "lead" the cultural revolution after he had hired Abatemarco and tried to bring him to Wake pretty much blows holes in the culture story no matter what.

Wooding seems the best fit for rover among the players who have played.

Back