• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Assistant Coaches - Belin and Jackson retained, Cohen hired for DL

I agree that it should make us more vulnerable to runs up the middle but I think Pitt is the only team in the ACC that runs that type of offense unless I'm forgetting someone.

GT certainly can, but we play them like 3 times in 20 years.

I was thinking more of a Big Ten style power running game, but you're right the Triple Option would probably rack up a lot of yards as well. Although there are a lot of questions about how much longer Paul Johnson will even be at GT.

If the 4-2-5 we implement can only stop spread offenses then I'll gladly take my chances.

Not disagreeing with you Ph...Olson and Jackson both peaked and never got to the next tier.

Warren is now settled and I feel great about the level of athlete -- size, range etc., he has to work with.

Olson had the heart but lacked the speed to get to the next level. A repeating theme over the last few years when you look at the Haynes brothers and Woodlief.

Not sure why the rush for this hire. With the investigation underway, why not wait a few weeks until it's finished? This doesn't sound like a guy who would get snapped up somewhere else right now. If he is "Clawson's guy," he should still be available to Clawson in two weeks or so. It would look better if the "nothing to see here" report was out before the hire.

This is a "no pussies in football" hire. Based on some these posts, we can definitely use it.

Olson had the heart but lacked the speed to get to the next level. A repeating theme over the last few years when you look at the Haynes brothers and Woodlief.

Probably right about Olson's speed; but I thought he had a good senior season. He delivered some pain.

If you can get DT depth (some combination of Banks/Looney/Lewinson/Harris) then we can get numbers for DE depth from the OLB ranks- Dunn/Jones/Donatell are all possibilities. With the variation in looks these days, a 4-3 DE doesn't even necessarily end up with his hand on the ground most of the time.

For those doubting a 4 2 5 scheme, just go ahead and look up "TCU defensive scheme" and read the litany of aritcles written about Patterson's defensive genius. Or search 4 2 5 on the weblog "smart football".

This whole board would become a better place if peeps took the time to get acquainted w some modern football theory. Not tryin to be a hater. Just trying to elevate the discussion away from "nobody uses a 4 man front" or "you need big lineman for a 3-4". That's amateur hour and lazy.

Who's hating on it? The only negative comments I see are ppl questioning whether we have the personnel to run it.

There is only so much difference between a rover/bandit/whateverhipnametheywantforit in a 4-2-5 and a weakside OLB in a 4-3. In both situations, you want a guy who can fly to to the ball, be effective in both run support and blitz scenarios, and have some ability to play coverage. Justin Jackson would have done fine as a rover, especially if he had slimmed back down.

This is correct

Question-- if Clawson is striking out on O-line coaches why isn't he just bringing his guy from BG?

Coach Himebauch hasn't removed "Wake Forest Offensive Line Coach" from his twitter handle. He tweeted about our win over UNC last night.

I think Clawson probably hangs on to him.

Back