• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

AT&T U-Verse: whadya know about it?

I looked hard at U-verse when it first became available, but after some research determined that ultimately it wasn't any cheaper than Time Warner for my particular desired set-up. Further, it was lacking a few channels offered by TWC (e.g., AMC HD, MLB Network).

That said, I am grateful to U-Verse for lighting a fire under TWC's ass and motivating TWC to add a ton of new HD channels over the past few years.

Pretty sure they have MLB and AMC HD now, although there was no AMC HD last fall when I was DVRing The Walking Dead.

Well as mentioned by many the price you have in your mind quickly becomes much higher after every special and promotion expires. After three months my bill grew by like 35%.

What was the nail in the coffin?? They did not properly secure my wife’s WORK PHONE number at our house. It took over 3.5 weeks to reclaim her number. This came with lots of help from the new customer who got the the # and TWC. If the person who received the new number had not been so nice they could have kept the number. You could not find anyone to resolve the problem at AT&T Uverse, all the real word and investigation came on the side of TWC. They offered to credit my bill three weeks of phone charges for my troubles. Real nice since the phone # did not ring at our house anyway.

If you already have the service you know the below comments:

Positives: Better FFW, More storage. Record more channels at once. I liked how when searching the show you were watching fades but is still full size. Watching four of your favorites at one time was kind of cool but not that useful
Negatives: No local Weather Channel, Channels not aligned in categories, no slow motion in playback, music channels not as good. Much harder to switch between channels and navigate, but I assume with practice would get better. Strange pixelation and slight freezing of the screen happened on a regular basis. Installation was a nightmare, took 5 hours for 4 t.v.s If signing up for new service remember you need a box for each TV, and each box is about $7 a month.

Details?

I got a $300 card for signing up with them. My experience with them has been great. Customer service has been top notch and the service call for the dog incident was easily scheduled and resolved quickly.

I am, however, still thinking about going back to TWC just for the cost issue. My Uverse just kicked back up again, so I either need to call and get the latest promotion or just switch back. My 12 gig internet plus U300? TV service (Most everything except HBO, Showtime and oddly enough, Palladia) on three HDTVs with whole house DVR runs about 149 a month, now that the discount has expired again. Last time I checked with TWC they would give me the exact same thing for 108 a month without a contract. I don't remember how much with a 2 year contract but it was less.

I do miss TWC internet as I died less in Call of Duty since I had a much better ping rate.

I've had U-Verse about a year. It's the same cost as TWC basically, but I've only seen one technician so far and he gave the impression of actually knowing what he was doing, rather than being some dude who just flunked out of community college. they've been easier to deal with on the phone as well.

FWIW, my internet connection is about 100 times more stable now.

I forgot to mention that uverse has the most god awful weather alerts, when there is a storm warning it plays this ear piercing screech that you can't stop for about 5 seconds. However they tease you by putting press ok to exit our something like that but it never exits immediately.

Thanks Raleigh. More expensive than TWC eh? Interesting, since the main reason I am considering switching is a substantial discount for the first year. Sounds like that discount completely evaporates in the second year.

Usually, you can call after a year and get the same discount or whichever discount they are offering then if you re-up for another year.

I have had U-Verse for a long time now. No complaints.

OMG!!! I forgot about those. And every time you change the channel it give you another BLAST at the bottom of the screen. WTF are they thinking????
I forgot to mention that uverse has the most god awful weather alerts, when there is a storm warning it plays this ear piercing screech that you can't stop for about 5 seconds. However they tease you by putting press ok to exit our something like that but it never exits immediately.

Usually, you can call after a year and get the same discount or whichever discount they are offering then if you re-up for another year.

I have had U-Verse for a long time now. No complaints.

Yeah, as I mentioned, you can call in and get the current promotion every time yours runs out. You might have to threaten to leave, but I never have. I just asked for the current promo and they gave it to me.

They still seem more expensive than TWC overall though, in my opinion anyway. Their promotional price is more than TWC's promo price by a fair amount. I just like enough things about Uverse that I am ok with paying a bit of a premium to have service that works and is easier to use.

I figured I'd bump this instead of making a whole separate thread.

Comcast in Charleston just hiked up our cable bill an extra $20 a month. AT&T U-Verse offers the same internet speeds and more channels. It would be $30 cheaper for a year and then it would jump to about the same as Comcast.

Is it worth switching? Or do all of y'all just have TWC, which IMO is better than Comcast.

Does U-Verse have the Watch ESPN online app for mobile devices? Comcast doesn't let us do any of that. They barely have ESPN3.

I figured I'd bump this instead of making a whole separate thread.

Comcast in Charleston just hiked up our cable bill an extra $20 a month. AT&T U-Verse offers the same internet speeds and more channels. It would be $30 cheaper for a year and then it would jump to about the same as Comcast.

Is it worth switching? Or do all of y'all just have TWC, which IMO is better than Comcast.

Does U-Verse have the Watch ESPN online app for mobile devices? Comcast doesn't let us do any of that. They barely have ESPN3.
uverse does not work specifically with the WatchESPN app, however, I can watch espn3 just going through the website on my phone.

I'm making the switch to U-Verse Friday from TWC. Am I making a mistake? This thread has me confused.

I'm making the switch to U-Verse Friday from TWC. Am I making a mistake? This thread has me confused.
both have different strengths and weaknesses, at this point I would go with whoever has the best pricing. You will always be choosing who is less bad because they all have stuff that sucks.

so Uverse is jacking up prices across the board on Feb 1 2012, as they apparently did on Feb 1, 2011.

I signed up with them at the end of March 2011, and now don't actually recall if I have a price lock with them or not, through March 2012. I do have a monthly discount with them which was the promotion along with some gift cards when I signed up.

TWC is offering TV, Int, and home ph for 12 mos at $89.99 supposedly through today 1/18/2012.

What to do?

so Uverse is jacking up prices across the board on Feb 1 2012, as they apparently did on Feb 1, 2011.

I signed up with them at the end of March 2011, and now don't actually recall if I have a price lock with them or not, through March 2012. I do have a monthly discount with them which was the promotion along with some gift cards when I signed up.

TWC is offering TV, Int, and home ph for 12 mos at $89.99 supposedly through today 1/18/2012.
What to do?

I went and looked at this same deal from TWC, but by the time you add in the same TVs, DVR, channel lineup, etc. that I currently have with ATT for about 161 a month, the TWC deal is about 165 a month. So, for about 4 bucks a month more than I pay now I could have exactly what I have now and a landline phone. The TWC 89 a month deal is for basic high speed internet, landline phone and digital cable (no HD) on ONE TV with no DVR.

I don't really care about the landline phone so I opted not to go back to TWC.

My neighborhood FINALLY has AT&T U-verse and am thinking of changing over from DirectTV. I did a quick search and found this old thread. Any new thoughts on U-verse?

My neighborhood FINALLY has AT&T U-verse and am thinking of changing over from DirectTV. I did a quick search and found this old thread. Any new thoughts on U-verse?

Nothing new from me. I have not had Uverse for some time now, but I can comment on DirecTV now. We've had it since moving to Charlotte and it's pretty good. The ability to record up to 5 things at once is great and a must have for us. Even with 5 shows at once we have occasionally maxed it out. It is not without its own quirks though. The DirecTV whole home DVR doesn't really work like you'd expect it to. It doesn't always let you pause in one room, restart in another, etc. Also, if you're watching a show live in another room you cannot rewind the show, which seems odd, but whatever. Overall it's pretty a pretty good service and we got a great deal, although we had to get a contract.

We are thinking about breaking the contract and paying the fee to switch once we are in the second year of the contract. RDToy works for Dish Network now, so we could get Dish for next to nothing, plus Dish technology is better than DirecTV. (The HOPPAH!) We enjoyed having the NFL package for free last year, but it's absolutely not worth paying for it in my opinion, so that's a wash. I would say we'll go to Dish next and try that out.

Now if I could just find a decent internet provider in Charlotte. We are back to TWC for internet again and my connection speed varies WILDLY.

Since this thread I have had at least a half dozen friends switch back to TWC from U-Verse here in Greensboro. Can not speak as how it compares to Direct TV, but I would strongly suggest getting screwed by TWC a little longer.

I've had U-verse for about 18 months. I have most of the movie packages, plus internet and phone (wife insisted on a landline). It's very expensive, but I've found it to be extremely reliable, particularly the internet (the DVR has gone crazy twice). I do some work from home that relies heavily on the internet, so - as much as I'd like to save a few bucks - I'm not willing to risk going to something else.

At home I have Dish Network which is nice for getting whatever channels I want plus NFL Red Zone plus the Hoppah!

At work, the only choice I have is Comcast because no dish providers will mandate their technicians undergo security clearance to access the roof at our office complex. U verse is not available for business TV here. I ordered installation over 2 months ago. Despite an office one floor below me having Comcast, I still do not have TV in my office. Their response is that it will be sometime in late June.

I like the Uverse channel line-up, but my DVR has a constant problem of not recording things about every other month which I have no idea until I go to watch it. They have sent me a new DVR a couple of times, but the next time I see a good deal Uverse is probably out. Tired of spending time with tech support.

Back