• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Athlon's Top 30 NCAA BBall Coaches

Is it wrong that I looked at the best of the rest to see who is ready to step up to a major (or step back to one)...

Althon has always been a joke. RoyBoy is Forest Gump.

Althon has always been a joke. RoyBoy is Forest Gump.

This is a confusing post. Are you saying you don't think he's the 2nd best coach in the ACC? He might be a dick, but he's still a good coach who gets great recruits.

I'd take Johnson over Bzzz at this point. At least there's some hope that he's not completely awful.

This is a confusing post. Are you saying you don't think he's the 2nd best coach in the ACC? He might be a dick, but he's still a good coach who gets great recruits.

He's Forest Gump.

UNC gets recruits not RoyBoy. You could coach there and get 2-3 burger boys a year.

I just highly disagree with Roy Williams at 7. Excellent recruiter but he does less with more quite often. Billy Donovan is a better all around coach. Agreed about Calhoun. I hate the guy but he deserves to be higher than Roy Williams IMHO.

He's Forest Gump.

UNC gets recruits not RoyBoy. You could coach there and get 2-3 burger boys a year.

Roy has won as many championships as Dean Smith in 10 years. It's perfectly acceptable to dislike the guy, but it's disingenuous to act as if he isn't a great coach. If what he did was so easy, everyone else would be doing it too.

He's not a great coach. He's Forest Gump.

Everyone else isn't coaching at Carowhina. He doesn't have to recruit. he selects.

For someone who can't coach, he's won a helluva lot of games. 2nd most at Kansas behind Phog Allen and 2nd most at UNC behind Dean Smith. The only coach in history to take two different schools to three Final Fours. 6th-best all-time in winning percentage.

But don't let emotion get in the way of the facts........... (That's not directed to you, MDMH.)

It's not like he ever choked one of his players.

He's not a great coach. He's Forest Gump.

Everyone else isn't coaching at Carowhina. He doesn't have to recruit. he selects.

It doesn't quite work that easily. You think Roy decided not to recruit any of the top 20 players in the 2012 class? Or hell, top 50 for that matter? Roy got out recruited by Providence this year, but who do you think is going further in the tournament? UNC or Providence? It sounds like you stopped watching college basketball in 2009 RJ, Roy hasn't been a true recruiting force for a couple of years now.

Last edited:
For someone who can't coach, he's won a helluva lot of games. 2nd most at Kansas behind Phog Allen and 2nd most at UNC behind Dean Smith. The only coach in history to take two different schools to three Final Fours. 6th-best all-time in winning percentage.

But don't let emotion get in the way of the facts........... (That's not directed to you, MDMH.)

Kansas fans don't think Forest Williams is a good coach. They think he grossly underachieved the talent he had.

(I love my pal RJ, but the criticism that "UNC recruits the players, not the coach" rings kind of hollow from a John Wooden fan.)

This isn't to attack you but I hate this statistic. How often do guys leave jobs that are often final 4 caliber schools for another?

Kansas fans don't think Forest Williams is a good coach. They think he grossly underachieved the talent he had.

6a00e00987e453883301156ea82d3d970c-800wi

billy d has done a very impressive job at UF. he's usually overlooked, but he's used to that considering where he coaches.

Is it wrong that I looked at the best of the rest to see who is ready to step up to a major (or step back to one)...

I did the same thing....looking at those coaches and thinking about them at Wake Forest was the best part of looking at the coaching rankings...

Back