• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Athlon's Top 30 NCAA BBall Coaches

No thanks on Roy

What coach do you think we've had that is better than Roy? Roy is known to be one of the hardest working recruiters, if not hardest. I know recruiting to UNC and KU helps, but he would still bring in top 10-25 classes every year no matter what ACC school he was at. He has a system that is attractive for recruits and he does a really good job of teaching that system. He's not nearly as good a coach as others in the half court, but he teaches his system so well, it's hard to completely stop easy baskets. If Roy came to Wake when he came to UNC, then I'd wager we'd have a title by now or at least a few Final Fours.

I think that's all fine, but it's also a legit question as to whether he'd have progressed up the ranks to where he is now had his first head coaching job been at, say, Army, or Loyola, or a similar low-major.

I think that's all fine, but it's also a legit question as to whether he'd have progressed up the ranks to where he is now had his first head coaching job been at, say, Army, or Loyola, or a similar low-major.

Bingo.....

I doubt it and there are very few who get much past that level once they start there. Many of the top coaches didn't start at low major. They were work up the ranks as assistant and then went to mid-major or low BCS level job. I hate defending ole Roy, but I just think it was crazy for anyone to say they don't think Roy is good enough to coach for Wake.

Well, I think that's stupid too, but I also wonder what he'd do at a less desirable job.

No shit, really? Did you think I just pulled army out of my ass?

Of course we know k started at army.

That's the thing about speculation, you can make it match whatever preconceived notion you want it to match.

What we know about Roy is that an elite program thought enough of him to give him their head coaching job, and he kept that job with no chance of getting fired until his alma mater that was another elite program begged him to take the job. He has an incredible winning percentage, has won 2 national titles, been to multiple final fours and won a bevy of conference titles.

Yes, I would take that over Carl Tacy and his 71-97 ACC record. Or any other coach we have ever had.

Wow, I had absolutely no idea. Thank you for imparting knowledge that absolutely no one else knew.

Seriously, beyond trolling, I'm not sure what your point is. If you're trying to say that Knight was a better coach than Williams, then we don't have anything to argue about.

He's Forest Gump.

UNC gets recruits not RoyBoy. You could coach there and get 2-3 burger boys a year.

Doesn't matter. Roy has national titles. So does Calhoun and K. You still have to coach them and deal with the egos. Same with Phil Jackson. That is why he is the best NBA coach of all time. More titles with numerous teams and different egos.

I hate the Celtics, but Phil can't carry Red's jock...nor can he carry the jock of his coach Red...or alex Hannum or Dr. Jack or a few others....using number of championships won, Bill Fitch would be better than Dr. Jack or Holtzman...it's a lazy, dumb way to decide anything.

K and Izzo...everyone else.

If you had to pick one coach to win a game against a team with a similarly talented roster, who would it be?

K and Izzo...everyone else.

If you had to pick one coach to win a game against a team with a similarly talented roster, who would it be?

Between those two I'd take Izzo.

That's an absurd comparison. I'm talking about picking colleagues not absurd things like you did.

The point was just that much more goes into being a great coach than being great on game day. But you seemed to want to boil it down to that, and ignore the other things that allowed Roy to get in the position where he could choke in big games.

He got into the position by being the Forest Gump of NCAA basketball. I haven't ignored anything. He has never had to create a program. He was handed two of the most successful programs in history on silver platters. Had he started at DePaul and been able to build a program, I'd believe that he's that good. He hasn't.

I wouldn't call losing in the second round as a #1 and #2 seed as "big games".

He got into the position by being the Forest Gump of NCAA basketball. I haven't ignored anything. He has never had to create a program. He was handed two of the most successful programs in history on silver platters. Had he started at DePaul and been able to build a program, I'd believe that he's that good. He hasn't.

I wouldn't call losing in the second round as a #1 and #2 seed as "big games".
I strongly dislike anyone who would trick me into defending the Tarholes. Damn it RJ, of all the reasonable ways you could disparage Carolina you had to take the least logical route. You want to argue that their jerseys arent blue enough?

Williams doesn't owe anyone any apologies for his career path. He started his career in high school then got an assistant spot for Dean Smith where he earned enough of a rep as an assistant to get a high profile job straight from UNC.

What a silly argument that Roy hasn't earned anything. Roy may have gotten a fortunate break or two (hired as UNC assistant and KU coach) but those weren't just blind luck, he put himself in position to get them. Further, it's not like the results have shown him to be unworthy. If all it took was taking the reins at UNC, then Matt Doherty would be making us all ask "where were you (when he was hired)?" (very old board inside joke).

Back