• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Athlon's Top 30 NCAA BBall Coaches

Hard to say how great a coach Roy Williams would be were he handed a bench full of average talent. Instead, he coaches for big name schools that attract big name kids. Still, he wins. Many of us saw the pile of kaka Matt Doherty laid down with a boatload of baby blue talent (who Roy subsequently inherited and with whom he succeeded quite impressively, IIRC.) Doherty's proof that it takes more that a handful of McD's to win. Somebody's gotta coach them.

maybe he isn't the greatest bench coach in the world, but he can manage a program. The guy didn't win all that he has won by luck and I don't know how you could rank somebody with that resume outside of the top 10.

billy d has done a very impressive job at UF. he's usually overlooked, but he's used to that considering where he coaches.

Donovan should be ahead of Roy and Boeheim. Pitino should probably be ranked a bit higher too.

Also, no question I would take Johnson over [Redacted]. Johnson may not be proven, but that's better than being proven to be bad.

If Roy had gotten his first HC job at DePaul or Marshall, it's very likely that's as high he would have ever gone.

He is Forest Gump. He got lucky to hang on with Deano as a kid. then Deano got him a job at a place where he didn't have to recruit. then DUH screwed up and left RoyBoy with four lottery picks who had been playing together.

Roy couldn't sniff Gentleman Carl's butt as a coach.

Well, luck is part of life. Roy's record is his record and that can't be and won't be taken away from him, regardless of sophomoric name calling.

LOL. There have been plenty of really good coaches who couldn't handle the pressure of coaching at an elite school, and Roy Williams has built a HOF career coaching at two.

Carl Tacy?? BWAAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAA

There is ALOT more to coaching than being a good bench coach. Bob Staak was a good bench coach.

I was always of the opinion that Roy underachieved embarrassingly at Kansas with the talent he had there. I was very skeptical that he'd be any more successful at UNC because he had to compete for players with K and many of the powerful east coast schools from the Big east down to Fla. But Roy has actually proven me wrong. He's had several years of excellent coaching, especially Tyler Hansbrough's freshman season. It's not easy to be in Dean's shadow, as Doherty proved. And while it's true UNC's history, tradition, etc. give it advantages over the average school, you still have to overcome the expectations and the competitive environment of the ACC. Roy has done a good job. He's not as good a coach as K, or Dean, but he's closer than we thought.

Shockingly, Bz did not make the list (they have a link to rankings by conference, where he came in 11th).

I had to check to see if there was a team in our conference that did not have a coach right now... thought that was the only explanation for him being ranked that high.

Kansas fans don't think Forest Williams is a good coach. They think he grossly underachieved the talent he had.

I'm good friends with a 40+ year KU season ticket holder and his family disagrees with this completely.

And I played ball with one of the members of Danny and the Miracles and he thought Royboy had the talent to win multiple NC at KU. Hell he lost to an 8 and a 9 as #1 seed and to a 7 as a 2.

And I played ball with one of the members of Danny and the Miracles and he thought Royboy had the talent to win multiple NC at KU. Hell he lost to an 8 and a 9 as #1 seed and to a 7 as a 2.

And Kazooski lost to a 15 with a 2. Terrible coach, right?

Dean Smith had the talent to win 5 or 6 more championships at Carolina. What's your point? It takes a bit of luck to win the championship no matter how good your team is.

Clearly, a good coach would recruit average talent.

What? How fucking stupid are you people? 1) recruiting is a huge part of college coaching, it's not a separate entity 2) he's won more than enough regardless, while playing a great style of basketball

Dean Smith grossly underachieved in big games. He should have challenged Wooden for the most NC.

In fact his coaching style of blue team/white team and four corners cost his teams championships.

If I had one game to win, Dean Smith wouldn't be in the Top 5 and probably not even the Top 10 of whom I want coaching the game.

Dean Smith grossly underachieved in big games. He should have challenged Wooden for the most NC.

In fact his coaching style of blue team/white team and four corners cost his teams championships.

If I had one game to win, Dean Smith wouldn't be in the Top 5 and probably not even the Top 10 of whom I want coaching the game.

Yeah, and if I had to win one football game I'd pick most high school coaches over Andy Reid, but that doesn't mean they're better coaches overall. As others have said, recruiting is a big part. Development is, too.

That's an absurd comparison. I'm talking about picking colleagues not absurd things like you did.

I'd take Dean Smith or Roy Williams over any basketball coach Wake Forest has ever had.

Not sure why they went w/ the Gamecocks HC instead of Mark Fox at Georgia.

And Kazooski lost to a 15 with a 2. Terrible coach, right?

Totally (well, almost) off topic, but I was there in Greensboro for this game. I was also there in Gboro when Maryland beat Duke in the ACC Tourney final in '04 (the famous game with the kid in the Duke jersey crying as the game was ending). I thoroughly enjoyed both occasions.

Back