• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Help Me Move to San Fran

found a spot in bernal heights i love, but it's available soonish. hoping i can get them to hold it for me. we'll see. it's got an organic butcher on the block with a bunch of little markets and stuff. i'm going to be such an insufferable hipster when i move there.

If you love the place, it's probably a good idea to lock it up and pay the extra month's rent. It ain't that easy to find a place in SF.

I like Bernal Heights but I'm in my mid-30's and basically wifed up. It is popular place for people with dogs b/c having a pet significantly limits your rental options in the city. Bernal Heights isn't all that convenient a neighborhood but you can get some better housing deals there. It's pretty close in distance to the Mission but it's usually not too practical to walk to the Mission from there.

You may want to use airbnb to try out living in a neighborhood for a day or two before making a decision.

Last edited:
I like Bernal Heights but I'm in my mid-30's and basically wifed up. It is popular place for people with dogs b/c having a pet significantly limits your rental options in the city. Bernal Heights isn't all that convenient a neighborhood but you can get some better housing deals there. It's pretty close in distance to the Mission but it's usually not too practical to walk to the Mission from there.

You may want to use airbnb to try out living in a neighborhood for a day or two before making a decision.

yeah i'm late 20s and essentially wifed up. it amazes me how much the CL options change when you click "dogs." sucks, man.

I've lived in SF for the last nine yrs and welcome any Deacs this way. Bernal is a bit out of the way, though. Depending on what you like to do, the best areas to live in for easy access to everything are the Mission, SoMa, Russian Hill and Hayes Valley. To whoever said the TL is dangerous, not really. I walk/bike through there regularly at night and there are numerous great bars/eateries over there. It's dirty, grimy and druggy but there's not much violent crime. Bayview/Hunters Point and the Western Addition are where the gangs are. Avoid those.

ETA: Yank Sing and Lefty's are places to hit once, but it's not 1975 anymore. Plenty of new, better spots.

I've lived in SF for the last nine yrs and welcome any Deacs this way. Bernal is a bit out of the way, though. Depending on what you like to do, the best areas to live in for easy access to everything are the Mission, SoMa, Russian Hill and Hayes Valley. To whoever said the TL is dangerous, not really. I walk/bike through there regularly at night and there are numerous great bars/eateries over there. It's dirty, grimy and druggy but there's not much violent crime. Bayview/Hunters Point and the Western Addition are where the gangs are. Avoid those.

ETA: Yank Sing and Lefty's are places to hit once, but it's not 1975 anymore. Plenty of new, better spots.

RE: Lefty's - phan is a baseball phanatic. He'ds love to see the pictures on the wall. It's not a place for him to hang out. It is a place to see as he'll never see baseball pictures like that anywhere else.

I stayed in the Tenderloin when I was at the Apple WWDC in June. Yea, watch out. That place is sketchy as fuck. For some reason using feces to write words on the sidewalk was normal.

Definitely look at living in The Mission district. North Beach is also fun area to hang out and lots of good eats.

woooooooooooooord

thanks for the help everyone. locked down a place in bernal for 14 months. 2 br with a downstairs office space right on cortland ave. should be out there sometime b/w jan 21 and the beginning of feb. pretty pumped, you guys.

woooooooooooooord

thanks for the help everyone. locked down a place in bernal for 14 months. 2 br with a downstairs office space right on cortland ave. should be out there sometime b/w jan 21 and the beginning of feb. pretty pumped, you guys.

I guess I totally whiffed on this thread, but I like Bernal a lot. Well done.

it seems like a great fir from the perspective that i'll be working from home a ton, so i can walk up and down cortland to grab great stuff for dinner every day. (insert deacphat jokes)

Yeah, good food in that little enclave. Avedano's is legit. Also check out Sandbox and La Ciccia. Also the stuff in Cortland Marketplace -- the knife guy, Paulie's, etc. -- is really cool. Shop at the Alemany Farmer's Market. Also, if you're commuting south some, that's a choice location. Obviously being close to the Mission/Noe/Castro is a bonus, too.

I'd make a concerted effort to get around north of Market from time to time. It's easy to get stuck in a rut geographically.

so we're closing on our place back east in a couple weeks, and i want to make a reservation somewhere dope the night of to (hopefully) celebrate. it's a monday, so somewhere in the city proper. thinking fancier but not looking at like saison/french laundry prices. any thoughts?

i think id be fine with a few hundred for 2 peeps. maybe more if they don't print the prices on the wife-to-bes menu.

Back