• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Awesome Map Thread

Just so I can be properly outraged or not,

DST = evening sunlight?
Standard = morning sunlight?

If so I’m on board with permanent DST

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2022/03/18/daylight-saving-seventies-history/

It was still dark when most Americans set off for work and school the morning of Jan. 7, 1974. Commuters grumbled about having to descend to the subways and report to work without glimpsing the sun. Some kids carried flashlights on their way to school.

One woman was so overwhelmed, she simply went back to bed.

“It’s the end,” Terry Minz, of Long Island, N.Y., told the New York Times. “I can’t cope anymore. The comet, the energy crisis, now darkness. I’m just staying in bed.”

So it went the last time the United States took a run at year-round daylight saving time. The experiment, which meant a sunrise of 8:30 a.m. or later for large swaths of the nation, proved short-lived. Amid a swell of public displeasure and a series of early-morning traffic fatalities, Congress voted to undo the change 10 months in.

fdb82qexquo81.jpg

I like getting home when its dark at 5 pm in December-makes me think I did more work. If I'm not working, prefer DST.

I noticed that too. Maybe the year? Maybe because the first is "residents" while the second is "legal permanent immigrants"?

Just split it down the middle with a 30-minute leap next year, and then never mess with it again

Interesting read. Nearly everyone agrees that changing clocks is asinine, but then what? I do think the arguments for/against DST/ST are overblown, though, and as the author states:

If we truly wanted to reduce energy consumption, we could make policies that actually reduce energy consumption. The same goes for the other domains that timekeeping affects, including crime and car crashes. This even applies to sleep—if we really wanted to help Americans sleep better, maybe we could pass legislation that makes hourly workers’ schedules more predictable and that gives more parents access to affordable child care.

that WAS a good read. i now think we should stay as is. i had to fix 3 whole clocks in my house....on the oven and 2 old digital clocks. Everything else fixes itself.

in spite of its subtitle, I don't see how that article made a compelling case that permanent DST is the worst of the three options

it all boiled down to "there are tradeoffs and when you enjoy your light is a matter of taste"

I'm am wholly unmoved in my position after reading that article

0h6qevbi75p81.png

Someone's conflating Deep South with South. I had suitemates tell me that, as a Virginian, I was not Southern. ??

Last edited:
Back