• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Awesome Map Thread

well it's a fucking AMERICAN EAGLE so prob not allowed in Iran

TIL that John Denver's Country Roads, Take Me Home, is about Western Va, not WVa.

https://twitter.com/MicheleSteele/status/1515292904675291139

FQdm3c7WYAIvWGv

That map of the river is not accurate. The river crosses into WV at the "e" in "River" and flows into the Potomac at Harpers Ferry, WV.

I always pictured the mountains along the border of the two state. I think of WVA as a mountainous state which the map does not depict.

Of course WV is a mountainous state. The Allegheny Mountains are all over WV.

The Blue Ridge Mountains are also located in WV in the same area as the river, the Eastern Panhandle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_Me_Home,_Country_Roads

Inspiration for the title line had come while Nivert and Danoff, who were married, were driving along Clopper Road in Montgomery County, Maryland to a Nivert family gathering in Gaithersburg, with Nivert behind the wheel while Danoff played his guitar. "I just started thinking, country roads, I started thinking of me growing up in western new England and going on all these small roads," Danoff said. "It didn’t have anything to do with Maryland or anyplace."

Virginia, Maryland, New England...basically it's not about West Virginia at all.

John Denver had never been to West Virginia, either.

Doesn't stop them from lighting couches on fire and yelling the lyrics.

I didn't learn until a little later in my youth that it was West(ern) Virginia in the song. At camp we sang the song but said Carolina and Tuckaseegee River instead. And, honestly, I think Carolina sounds better than West Virginia in the context of the song.

"carolina" is a great song word

other states that are great song words: alabama, arizona, california, georgia with the right accent, indiana, kentucky, louisiana, tennessee

hot take: New Orleeens is obviously the wrong way to pronounce that city, but it works better in songs than the correct pronunciation.

Back