• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

AZ Tea Party get legalized discrimination bill to pass

Let's say that the military offers up the politically sanitized (ribbed for BDZ's pleasure) answer that they support affirmative action. If it will make you feel even more correct in your own opinion (congrats again on that, by the way) we can put aside difficult questions of their sincerity of their investment in that idea through the implementation of name-blind promotions process according the AF publication I cited you to...let's stipulate that they claim to be a long-time supporter of that policy.

As the deposed Secretary of State once famously inquired, "What difference does it make?" Does it turn that bad idea into a good idea? I don't think so.

Now, are you willing to oppose all forms of de jure discrimination in Arizona, or just the ones that are politically out of fashion at the present?

Just a simple yes/no on whether the military has been a longstanding supporter of affirmative action will do.

Then we can tackle whether dozens of top military leaders would lie in a document filed with the Supreme Court.

jhmd, question for you:

Has the military been a longstanding supporter of affirmative action? (YES/NO)

jhmd, question for you:

It has been my direct experience that Air Force promotions are name and race blind. If you've had a different experience, please advise.

I previously stipulated that they're smart enough to give the politically correct answers to Congress and others when asking for federal dollars, but I tend to be more persuaded by actions than words.

Having answered your question (again), will you ever answer mine?

It has been my direct experience that Air Force promotions are name and race blind. If you've had a different experience, please advise.

I previously stipulated that they're smart enough to give the politically correct answers to Congress and others when asking for federal dollars, but I tend to be more persuaded by actions than words.

66 words 403 characters

Getting better!

66 words 403 characters

Getting better!

My question has been on the table since post #18. Care to take a stab at it?

To repeat: Why are we to be more offended by potential discrimination in a private business but tolerate the University of Arizona telling their own citizens that their test scores don't count as much solely because of their skin color as a matter of standing state policy?

Will anyone answer this question or are you guys going to duck it again?

Last edited:

#neverfails

Sorry, I didn't see a yes or a no. I've honestly never known a former military man to be a coward, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'll repost the unanswered question (again).

Sorry, I didn't see a yes or a no. I've honestly never known a former military man to be a coward, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm sorry you're having trouble understanding that the question you pose asks me to reduce a multi-trillion dollar enterprise with a two hundred and fifty year history with millions of employees to a single monolithic opinion.

But I appreciate your repeated attempts to call me a coward. Quite amusing on a number of levels.

I'm sorry you're having trouble understanding that the question you pose asks me to reduce a multi-trillion dollar enterprise with a two hundred and fifty year history with millions of employees to a single monolithic opinion.

But I appreciate your repeated attempts to call me a coward. Quite amusing on a number of levels.

The bold may be the most unintentionally ironic words ever posted upon this board.

Hm, that's not a yes or a no. Are you that much of a coward? I'm beginning to think YES.

The bold may be the most unintentionally ironic words ever posted upon this board.

Only in the false construct of your preconceived and self-serving notions. I'll continue to advocate for race-blind policies since I think it's the only long-term solution to this issue that has plagued our country for far too long. You guys can keep sorting out which races are capable of what, and enacting policies that confirm your biases.

Hm, that's not a yes or a no. Are you that much of a coward? I'm beginning to think YES.

It's good to know that you're beginning to think. I have high hopes that you might one day get the hang of it.

It's good to know that you're beginning to think. I have high hopes that you might one day get the hang of it.

Man, not as high as my hopes for your jokes.

Man, not as high as my hopes for your jokes.

Let's think it through together, shall we? Does the military claim to be a "long-standing supporter of affirmative action"? As previously stipulated, yes.
Now is that true and if so, how does it relate to the OP?

Well, the OP addressed discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. Despite assertions of long-standing support of so-called inclusive policies like affirmative action to the contrary, the military actively spent about 100 years seeking out people for discharge from military service solely on the basis of their sexual orientation. Indeed, in the very pages of the former AFI 36-3208 (hey look at that, nailed it from memory, cold. Not bad for an old guy), persons exhibiting homosexual conduct (including self-identification) are "unfit for military service." Given that the military actively discharged tens of thousands of service members solely on the basis of their sexual orientation, it seems their "long-standing" policies are wildly inconsistent with the stated goals of affirmative action. Also, you might have read that the Air Force promotes their candidates based upon an identity-blind basis. I think there was a link a few pages back, so far as I can tell no persons were told that their otherwise impressive meritorious record were to be discounted solely because of their race.

The facts---long-standing as they may be---say that the answer to your question is a resounding "No." Maybe you can tell these guys that you once read a brief about how good they used to have it. You seem to be feeling your oats today. Let me know how that goes.

Let's think it through together, shall we? Does the military claim to be a "long-standing supporter of affirmative action"? As previously stipulated, yes.
Now is that true and if so, how does it relate to the OP?

Well, the OP addressed discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. Despite assertions of long-standing support of so-called inclusive policies like affirmative action to the contrary, the military actively spent about 100 years seeking out people for discharge from military service solely on the basis of their sexual orientation. Indeed, in the very pages of the former AFI 36-3208 (hey look at that, nailed it from memory, cold. Not bad for an old guy), persons exhibiting homosexual conduct (including self-identification) are "unfit for military service." Given that the military actively discharged tens of thousands of service members solely on the basis of their sexual orientation, it seems their "long-standing" policies are wildly inconsistent with the stated goals of affirmative action. Also, you might have read that the Air Force promotes their candidates based upon an identity-blind basis. I think there was a link a few pages back, so far as I can tell no persons were told that their otherwise impressive meritorious record were to be discounted solely because of their race.

The facts---long-standing as they may be---say that the answer to your question is a resounding "No." Maybe you can tell these guys that you once read a brief about how good they used to have it. You seem to be feeling your oats today. Let me know how that goes.

259 words 1574 characters

Does the military claim to be a "long-standing supporter of affirmative action"? ... yes.

Not quite there, coward. I guess taking the coward's way out to answering a simple yes/no question is the only way you can muster.

Because this question-dodging is actually getting tiresome to me, I'll move forward with our analysis.

To achieve diversity in military leadership, both the service academies and ROTC engage in extensive minority outreach and recruiting as well as limited consideration of race as a part of their individualized, whole-person review of admissions applicants. As was the case when Grutter was decided, these race-conscious policies are vital to increasing and maintaining the pool of highly qualified minority military officers. And as was true when Grutter was decided, there are at present no race-neutral means for the military to fulfill its critical need for a highly qualified and diverse officer corps.

Did the dozens of generals who signed this brief for the U.S. Supreme Court lie? (YES/NO)

Not quite there, coward. I guess taking the coward's way out to answering a simple yes/no question is the only way you can muster.

I answered your question (funny, you didn't bother to quote the part where I said "the answer to your question is a resounding "No." Where, exactly, did I lose you?), but you didn't have a response. So instead you didn't even bother to reply and decided to grow keyboard muscles. I'm not persuaded, sorry.

Are you going to post the response from the Servicemembers' Defense League? I eagerly await your response. PM will do if it doesn't go well for you.

Last edited:
Back