• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Baltimore's deadliest month in 15 years: May counts 35 homicides, so far

There is a certain portion of this Board that is disappointingly humorless. You'd think for all of the smart kids in these parts, some of them would be able to detect patent jest. You'd think.

There is a certain portion of this Board that is disappointingly humorless. You'd think for all of the smart kids in these parts, some of them would be able to detect patent jest. You'd think.

0QlY8ji.png

In your future borderline embarrassing expenditures of time, please distinguish between adverbs and nouns. Thanks in advance.

jesus christ, it was a pun

and it took 20 seconds to google 'meme generator'

did you not just post this? lighten up, frances

The difference is that when I went to WF the total cost was $2,300/year...now it is close to $60,000/year. Taking inflation into account with a 5X multiplier, that $2,300 would now be around $11,500.....not $60,000. So, obviously, the financial make-up of the people going there recently and now has to be far different from what it was when I was there. I would think that by using simple math, this would be obvious.

ETA: I graduated in 1968. According to this inflation chart, a dollar in 1968 would be worth $6.93 today, so I was off a little using that 5X. Still doesn't change the big picture, though. Using an inflation factor of 6.93, WF should cost $16,008/year today. So families sending children to WF need to be almost 4 times as wealthy today as they were in 1968 to send a child to WF. (And don't try to pass this off by saying there is available financial aid. In the first place, that has nothing to do with the relative cost, and, secondly, they had available financial aid back then, too.) In short, there is no way you can tell me that WF is not more snobby & elitist now than it was back then. Anyone who had any doubt about that would have his doubts allayed by simply reading these boards. (And, actually, WF was pretty damned snobby even when I was there.)

http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm

It's still really goddamn lazy to assume everyone who goes there now is snobby or elitist.

so this thread got really weird. my reaction to the OP is that Baltimore cops, and their union, seem to be more interested in enforcing their will on the citizenry as opposed to protecting and serving it, and they seem to expect a lot of deference to their ability to jack people up at will. When told that there will be consequences for willfully endangering the people they are supposed to protect and serve, they pout. The evidence suggested that all this was the case before the slowdown, so this just pretty much confirms the diagnosis.

Most of the people who were shot were probably gangbangers shot by other gangbangers, so I don't really feel too sorry for them. I do feel bad for the innocent children and other non-gangbangers who have to live with bullets whizzing over their heads while the people hired to protect them cower in their cars rather than doing their jobs because they might (gasp) be held accountable if they don't do them very well.

except in your case no one can tell when you're joking and when you're being a massive silver spoon dipshit

So here is a cop who is "doing his job" by trying to help someone who he thinks is stranded, only to get ambushed by guys in hiding.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/deputy-ambushed-woods-men-saved-dog/story?id=31333283

Given his location in Mississippi, I doubt he has been recently criticized, so his efforts on the job probably haven't changed lately. If he was in Baltimore being publicly blasted for the past several months for something he had nothing to do with, however, I could see him just driving by and not worrying about the person in the car, as there wasn't any evidence of a crime being committed that would require him to stop.

except in your case no one can tell when you're joking and when you're being a massive silver spoon dipshit

I don't care how often you spoon with other posters, a man of your considerable education should be able to keep up.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/05/28/baltimore-residents-fearful-amid-rash-of-homicides/

West Baltimore residents worry they’ve been abandoned by the officers they once accused of harassing them, leaving some neighborhoods like the Wild West without a lawman around.
“Before it was over-policing. Now there’s no police,” said Donnail “Dreads” Lee, 34, who lives in the Gilmor Homes, the public housing complex where Gray, 25, was chased down. “People feel as though they can do things and get away with it. I see people walking with guns almost every single day, because they know the police aren’t pulling them up like they used to.”

Police Commissioner Anthony Batts said his officers “are not holding back,” despite encountering dangerous hostility in the Western District.
“Our officers tell me that when officers pull up, they have 30 to 50 people surrounding them at any time,” Batts said.

Good example of what the police face out there every day.

The situation is Baltimore is really ironic, though. First, people bitched because the police were arresting people. Now the same people are bitching because the police are not arresting people.

I think the complaint was about police murdering someone. The arrest was not quite as controversial.

“There was a shooting down the street, and the man was standing in the middle of the street with a gun, just shooting,” Lee added. “Usually, you can’t walk up and down the street drinking or smoking weed.

Now, people are everywhere smoking weed, and police just ride by, look at you, and keep going. There used to be police on every corner. I don’t think they’ll be back this summer.”

Batts acknowledged that “the service we’re giving is off-target with the community as a whole” and he promised to pay special attention to the Western District.

Veronica Edmonds, a 26-year-old mother of seven [Holy shit] in the Gilmor Homes, said she wishes the police would return, and focus on violent crime rather than minor drug offenses.

If they focused more on criminals and left the petty stuff alone, the community would have more respect for police officers,” she said.

So which is it? Do you want them there showing a visible enforcement presence, or do you want them to just chase violent offenders?

I think the complaint was about police murdering someone. The arrest was not quite as controversial.
BKF doesn't care about the difference, they're criminals, Lock em up, put them in the ground, it's their fault either way, they shouldnt have *committed crime

*may have just appeared to commit crime, been near crime, angered a police officer, protected a friend or relative from a cop, filmed a cop, looked like a suspect, held a can of Arizona tea, been locked out of their house, stood outside a strip club, or had a stroke while driving

Back