• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

Why don’t Texas Republicans want children to learn about why the KKK was morally wrong?

jhmd and Junebug, any thoughts?

But remember folks, these new state laws won't really affect how teachers teach about racism in the classroom nor will teachers feel any pressure to cut discussions of race in the classroom. Or so numerous conservatives here and state GOP leaders around the country have said. Strange how CRT has nothing to do with teaching about any of these things, but they're eliminating them anyway. It's almost as if "CRT" has become a code word for any discussions of race and racism in the classroom. Imagine that.

Last edited:
Letter in today’s W-SJ

‘Don’t see, don’t say’
We went to see the current show at SECCA, “Hanging Tree Guitars” (“Spirits in the wood,” July 17). It presents photographs of the artist Freeman Vines, his thoughts and his sculpted guitars, many of which are made from the wood of the Edgecombe County walnut tree on which Oliver Moore was lynched in 1930. I learned that in the 1960s, North Carolina had more Ku Klux Klan members than any other state. I learned that Black mothers would tell their sons, “Don’t see, don’t say,” lest they be tortured and lynched, too.

In light of the proposed HB 324 (“Bill pushes back against CRT,” July 15), I can’t compel you to care. Don’t see, don’t say, don’t feel, don’t think.

Roy Hantgan

Winston-Salem

This is why jhmd and the like are such stark proponents of resegregation efforts like school choice, vouchers, and charter schools. It’s baked into NC conservative politics.

https://www.federationforchildren.org/real-clear-opinion-research-poll-school-choice-support-soars/

Question: School Choice

School choice gives parents the right to use the tax dollars designated for their child’s education to send their child to the public or private school which best serves their child’s needs. Generally speaking, would you say you support or oppose the concept of school choice?

Support:

All: 71%

Race & Ethnicity:

White: 73%
Black: 66%
Hispanic: 68%
Asian: 66%

Party ID:

Democrat: 69%
Republican: 75%

A supermajority of people in your own party support school choice, as do majorities of each major ethnic group surveyed. Somebody needs to step out of his bubble.

https://www.federationforchildren.org/real-clear-opinion-research-poll-school-choice-support-soars/

School choice gives parents the right to use the tax dollars designated for their child’s education to send their child to the public or private school which best serves their child’s needs. Generally speaking, would you say you support or oppose the concept of school choice?

Support:

Race & Ethnicity:

Party ID:

A supermajority of people in your own party support school choice, as do majorities of each major ethnic group surveyed. Somebody needs to step out of his bubble.

What happens if most parents in a district or whatever deem one particular school to best suit their children’s needs and it will now be woefully overcrowded? What happens to the less desirable schools?

What happens if most parents in a district or whatever deem one particular school to best suit their children’s needs and it will now be woefully overcrowded? What happens to the less desirable schools?

Two things:
1. They begin to experience consequences for their failures to deliver on their responsibilities to their stakeholders, instead of passing them along to the underserved families trapped in them. We might even *gasp* make some changes in leadership and personnel when the parents vote with their feet. Welcome to the world!
2. Presumably they have smaller class sizes when compared to the preferred schools, which would give them a chance to provide more individualized

There's a reason the popularity of these reforms transcends party, socioeconomic status and race.

Support:

Race & Ethnicity:

Party ID:

No kids, in this system can I keep my $? That is what I want…if not, cheapest option.

Two things:
1. They begin to experience consequences for their failures to deliver on their responsibilities to their stakeholders, instead of passing them along to the underserved families trapped in them. We might even *gasp* make some changes in leadership and personnel when the parents vote with their feet. Welcome to the world!
2. Presumably they have smaller class sizes when compared to the preferred schools, which would give them a chance to provide more individualized

There's a reason the popularity of these reforms transcends party, socioeconomic status and race.

The segregationist “school choice” scam was bolstered by tearing down public schools from within. That’s why it’s popular. People want a good school for their kids.

The Republican mission isn’t to provide a quality public education for all children. Why else force schools to compete against other? The Republican mission is to establish public school hierarchies and shift education funds to corporate and religious for-profit interests. This shifts the burden of quality education from the state to the parents. Parents have to make the right choice. If they don’t, it’s their fault.

I should also add that your post isn’t even close to an answer to the question of what happens when too many parents want to choose one school.

And you ducked my question of why Texan Republicans don’t want kids to learn about why the KKK was morally wrong.

No kids, in this system can I keep my $? That is what I want…if not, cheapest option.

That’s what they want people without school age kids to do. They want to destroy public education. They want you all to demand your tax dollars back.

The segregationist “school choice” scam was bolstered by tearing down public schools from within. That’s why it’s popular. People want a good school for their kids.

The Republican mission isn’t to provide a quality public education for all children. Why else force schools to compete against other? The Republican mission is to establish public school hierarchies and shift education funds to corporate and religious for-profit interests. This shifts the burden of quality education from the state to the parents. Parents have to make the right choice. If they don’t, it’s their fault.

I should also add that your post isn’t even close to an answer to the question of what happens when too many parents want to choose one school.

And you ducked my question of why Texan Republicans don’t want kids to learn about why the KKK was morally wrong.

You are in the clear minority of your own party on this issue, let alone the general public. No, 66% of the black respondents to the poll who are in favor of school choice aren't segregationists. You don't have to be this lazy about everything. Think more, post less.

Two things:

History has shown us that those two things don't happen.

Seems like a pretty generalized poll, like asking do you want the best for your child without any follow up to how that happens.

That’s what they want people without school age kids to do. They want to destroy public education. They want you all to demand your tax dollars back.

I am the highest taxed group in America (DINK) but get the least out of it...

does that seem fair?

Lol what do you think you should “get?”

Can I demand back my tax dollars paid for roads I never use? Or to subsidize cheap ass southern states I’ll never set foot in?

Seems like a pretty generalized poll, like asking do you want the best for your child without any follow up to how that happens.

The question itself says “generally speaking” but yeah let’s go head and tear down the entire public school framework based on that one question.

The question itself says “generally speaking” but yeah let’s go head and tear down the entire public school framework based on that one question.

A. Nobody is tearing down anything. Reform and competition are good things. Again, welcome to the world.
B. Do you really think it was just the phrasing of the question? After the last 18 months of the education establishment messing the bed, do you really think parents don't have opinions about what's best for their own children's educations? If you really, truly think that, I implore your party to run on that message. Most tone deaf thing I've heard since defund. Beyond parody.

Back